Peace Corps Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated September 16, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An amazing adventure

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a way to see life from a completely new perspective and do something truly worthwhile.

Cons

Many people cannot sacrifice so much of themselves.

Nothing, I loved my time.

Intern

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The communications team at the organizations is comprised of top notch people who will give you a plenty of opportunities to learn more. The office culture was interesting because you get to interact with people who are passionate about improving the world.

Cons

The process for obtaining the security clearance was a bit cumbersome and definitely required a significant amount of persistence. Generally, the office felt a bit sterile.

A small dysfunctional federal bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Staff  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a staff member, civil service salaries and benefits are the best in the nation. As a volunteer in the field, the experience is usually very positive thanks to host country people.

Cons

Too many unqualified political appointees at HQ. Overseas staff not always well-qualified, resulting in hardships for volunteers. Very little oversight in Washington or overseas offices.

Listen to volunteers. Focus on quality management for the long-term. Cut the bs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing place to work, despite term limits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Mission-driven international agency with mission to promote world peace and friendship through service to others. Staff at every level, in every position somehow tied to this wonderful mission on daily basis. Attracts best and brightest, with idealist temperaments, caring souls, and thoughtful leaders.

Cons

The Five Year Rule - statutory term limit from the Peace Corps Act of 1961. Most staff can only work here for five year term limits (some exceptions for up to three years more). Benefit of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment after three years at Peace Corps is great, assuming federal employers are willing to recognize this hiring advantage.

Life changing experience leading to future opportunity.

Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independence, self-motivated, flexible schedule, priceless perspective, short-term contract

Cons

Lack of structure, bureaucracy, post hardships, limited resources, short-term contact

I did youth development work from 2011 to 2013 in rural Morocco.

Former Employee - Youth Development Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Youth Development Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Peace Corps work is as hands-on as it gets! I enjoyed teaching English as a Foreign Language to all ages and levels of learners and leading critical skills development programs with youth, especially young women.

Cons

The high turnover innate to the Peace Corps allows for some gaps in the programming. I was unfortunate to be trained for my service during one of those gaps, which left me quite uncertain how to begin my service. It was an obstacle I overcame.

I would advise management to nominate volunteers on the basis of their expertise and place them accordingly.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Technical Trainer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The company offers great training and staff development opportunities. The ideology of the organization makes it a meaningful experience.

Cons

May be required to deliver work that exceed work hours, Compensation only in Comp time.

Allow for more upward mobility

Former DPT overseas

Former Employee - Director of Programming & Training (Department)  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director of Programming & Training (Department) in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best job within the government (granted, many jobs can't even compare) - and you are close to your 'beneficiaries' in the field. Programming & Training is the heart and soul of getting trainees ready for service, and in keeping them supported while they are PCVs. Very rewarding work.

Cons

PCHQ is a growing bureaucracy, and your work life will be increasingly affected by new rules and regs, more reports and changing initiatives. A lot also depends on your country director, as each has leeway to define the job and define the atmosphere at post.

Keep growth of PCHQ in check. More money to support the field, not add new offices in Washington.

Meaningful work in unstructured environment

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, make a difference, learn about yourself. Experience working abroad for USgov agency is good practice for other jobs with flaky management and unpredictable environments

Cons

Management cycle regularly so there is little institutional memory. Volunteers are expected to fend for themselves and solve their own problems, sometimes in very trying or challenging situations. Little funding for capital/documentation/overhead, so things are more difficult than they should be.

Create more enduring support structures for volunteers

Epic experience in Niger

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cross-cultural sharing, learning a new language, making life-long friendships, experiencing the challenges and opportunities of the developing world

Cons

Difficult transitions - both going into and coming out of Peace Corps. But these transitions in themselves are excellent learning and personal development achievements.

Open Peace Corps programs in more countries. Increase visibility/ awareness of Peace Corps in the US.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!