Peace Corps

Updated May 15, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing place to work, despite term limits.

Washington, DC

ProsMission-driven international agency with mission to promote world peace and friendship through service to others. Staff at every level, in every position somehow tied to this wonderful mission on daily basis. Attracts best and brightest, with idealist temperaments, caring souls, and thoughtful leaders.

ConsThe Five Year Rule - statutory term limit from the Peace Corps Act of 1961. Most staff can only work here for five year term limits (some exceptions for up to three years more). Benefit of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment after three years at Peace Corps is great, assuming federal employers are willing to recognize this hiring advantage.

A small dysfunctional federal bureaucracy

Senior Staff (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAs a staff member, civil service salaries and benefits are the best in the nation. As a volunteer in the field, the experience is usually very positive thanks to host country people.

ConsToo many unqualified political appointees at HQ. Overseas staff not always well-qualified, resulting in hardships for volunteers. Very little oversight in Washington or overseas offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to volunteers. Focus on quality management for the long-term. Cut the bs.

Life changing experience leading to future opportunity.

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIndependence, self-motivated, flexible schedule, priceless perspective, short-term contract

ConsLack of structure, bureaucracy, post hardships, limited resources, short-term contact

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I did youth development work from 2011 to 2013 in rural Morocco.

Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPeace Corps work is as hands-on as it gets! I enjoyed teaching English as a Foreign Language to all ages and levels of learners and leading critical skills development programs with youth, especially young women.

ConsThe high turnover innate to the Peace Corps allows for some gaps in the programming. I was unfortunate to be trained for my service during one of those gaps, which left me quite uncertain how to begin my service. It was an obstacle I overcame.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to nominate volunteers on the basis of their expertise and place them accordingly.

Great Experience

Technical Trainer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe company offers great training and staff development opportunities. The ideology of the organization makes it a meaningful experience.

ConsMay be required to deliver work that exceed work hours, Compensation only in Comp time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more upward mobility

Former DPT overseas

Director of Programming & Training (Department) (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsBest job within the government (granted, many jobs can't even compare) - and you are close to your 'beneficiaries' in the field. Programming & Training is the heart and soul of getting trainees ready for service, and in keeping them supported while they are PCVs. Very rewarding work.

ConsPCHQ is a growing bureaucracy, and your work life will be increasingly affected by new rules and regs, more reports and changing initiatives. A lot also depends on your country director, as each has leeway to define the job and define the atmosphere at post.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growth of PCHQ in check. More money to support the field, not add new offices in Washington.

Meaningful work in unstructured environment

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, make a difference, learn about yourself. Experience working abroad for USgov agency is good practice for other jobs with flaky management and unpredictable environments

ConsManagement cycle regularly so there is little institutional memory. Volunteers are expected to fend for themselves and solve their own problems, sometimes in very trying or challenging situations. Little funding for capital/documentation/overhead, so things are more difficult than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more enduring support structures for volunteers

Epic experience in Niger

Volunteer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCross-cultural sharing, learning a new language, making life-long friendships, experiencing the challenges and opportunities of the developing world

ConsDifficult transitions - both going into and coming out of Peace Corps. But these transitions in themselves are excellent learning and personal development achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen Peace Corps programs in more countries. Increase visibility/ awareness of Peace Corps in the US.

Utterly Lacking in Substance

Country Desk Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIt paid $10/hour as a work-study job.

ConsI gained no substantive experience whatsoever, and nobody had an interest in my development. All anyone wanted me for was gruntwork, and I was the most underutilized person in the office. I spent months asking for something real to do. They simply could never come up with anything. Their internship program is ill-managed, and led to wasted time for both parties. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but working for the Peace Corps disqualifies you from working for an intelligence agency for 4 years. This has now precluded me from interning with the CIA or DIA, and I was never made aware of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Great experience - challenges well worth the outcomes

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsOpportunity to live in a new place and truly integrate with a local community and culture. Participate in local development. Develop soft skills that will become marketable post-service.

ConsDisconnect between country staff and volunteers, and huge disconnect between Peace Corps HQ and volunteers on the ground. Small stipend, and readjustment allowance post-service is very small.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.