PeachMac Reviews

2.9

Darryl Peck

Hard, testing, rewarding!

I have been working at PeachMac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PeachMac has been a roller coaster of an employment. Being in management is a taxing job, but that is retail in general. The corporate team has had a lot of changes made to it in the last year, but Howard (Retail Director) has handled the task of running a lot of this stuff well. I work with an awesome group of managers not just in my store but in all the other locations as well. We keep in touch and help keep motivated. There are days you just want to throw the towel in and give up but the team here just becomes a family and they help keep you going! Even the corporate team, while they can be a pain in the butt and drive you to drink, even will jump in and give words of encouragement.

Cons

Corporate does need a little more structure for supporting the stores. Howard has been doing a great job, but the guy needs help. The company needs DM's or something to support the stores a little better.
    Also, and again this is just retail, but customers can be ridiculously unforgiving. Make sure you have thick skin, because they show no mercy. They think the employees are the rude people, man do I wish there was a BBB for customers.

Get some more support for the stores, DM's or something.

It's an "okay" place to work

Former Employee - Apple Specialist
    Former Employee - Apple Specialist

I worked at PeachMac part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are so happy and friendly. Just knowing that you helped someone is all that really matters.

Cons

Managers show favoritism . Some of the staff is always calling out or always late. Some of the Managers are VERY RUDE to the employees and customers. The staff is under paid for the amount of stuff they have to do.

Fire the management and start over.

It is a casual, fun and interesting job but it is hard work.

I have been working at PeachMac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has gone throw some growing pains but has made a lot of positive changes. The business model to a certain extent is dependent upon Apple which can be ambiguous and uncertain. However, a lot of changes that have been made are changes that will help the company in the next 5-10 years be very successful.

Cons

Being defendant upon Apple to release product can create strange traffic flow for the stores, and make it difficult to plan out initiatives. Since there isn't as much corporate support it took a little bit longer to fix some of the things that needed to be fixed in the stores.

Better job of selling the why to the people in the stores. Everyone at corporate needs to be be impact players. Operations manager isn't bought in and it shows. Stores could be better supported moving forward to make sure the culture piece is intact.

Sales specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at PeachMac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid sales training, flexible staff, fun environment, not commission based

Cons

Customers can be difficult to work with when technology fails. Other than that it is a relatively fun place to work.

Don't undermine the importance of good specialists, they are the driving force when it comes to moving product and maintaining customer satisfaction.

Could be great if upper management listened to employees more.

I have been working at PeachMac full-time

Pros

Great products, when you are selling Apple products you know that you are selling quality.
    Good benefits and time off
    Decent pay

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.
    Management seems more concerned with bottom-line instead of nurturing employees.
    Certain members of upper management are just not nice people.

Listen to your store level employees, they have great ideas. Once you start focusing on people instead of the bottom line you will be more successful.

They burn the loyalty right out of you.

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager

I worked at PeachMac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I started at PeachMac, I had a fantastic manager and wonderful co-workers that knew how to have fun, show appreciation, welcomed tough feedback, and only ever wanted to see the best of each of their people. In no time I was being developed into a leadership role, improving my confidence, and being moved to another store. Here, too, I encountered wonderful people who will forever remain close to my heart.

Cons

After the first year corporate changed their policies and practices. In turn, they fired too many people and never filled the vacant positions with competent people. I progressed into their corporate store and was lied to, stabbed in the back, and found that I could not trust even those I thought I could confide in. Their solution to every issue is to fire someone, they have no HR department, and their way of motivating you when you are having a hard time believing in yourself and your company (after two years of swearing up and down they are the best thing that's ever happened to you and moving three times in a year for them) is to say they "know how to motivate people and push their 'go' buttons" and then threaten to fire you. Their turnover rates in the Athens store in particular are OUTRAGEOUS. People regularly just walk out and never come back because they are taken for granted and unappriciated.

Get your act together. You are not Apple. Stop hiring people from Apple and trying to implement Apple policies. Go back to basics. You've forgotten your people and the culture and loyalty you once prided yourself on is dead and rotting. It doesn't matter what store you go to, everyone hates corporate and the company because there is no-one on their side. Bring someone in to do HR full time and be there for your people. Reward them and show them that you actually care about them too, and maybe you won't keep having people WALK OUT ON YOU. I hope you are able to pull yourselves back together because you have some terrific, loyal people who would be great assets if you gave them the chance like you once gave me.

Good managers, but that's about it.

Current Employee - Business Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Specialist

I have been working at PeachMac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment with lots of time to learn the product. You get good customers sometimes that can make a whole day better. Most managers are pretty awesome. Good health insurance if you can get it (only for full time employees).

Cons

A lot, honestly. Pay is subpar by industry standards. Corporate is a joke. Absolutely zero room for growth. No one to listen to complaints and no motivation to solve problems. You end up selling products you don't like because it's the only one you have because it's better margin. No genuine concern for the customers anymore. We're told to get them in and out as fast as possible a lot of the time. Not enough training for new employees. Corporate can't handle their inventory, let alone individual stores. There isn't support for anyone, and when someone (at corporate) asks for something to be done, they don't even remotely tell you how to go about it or how to get started. They just expect you miraculously know everything. If you have a question, it gets bounced around and never answered. Corporate holds everyone to ridiculous standards and instead of figuring out why some metric isn't being met, they just put more pressure on the managers to improve without any idea of how to do so. Serious retail turnover, so there's no more family environment.

Try supporting your employees. Better pay. Listen to what we have to say instead of just ignoring us or firing us. Stop holding us to ridiculous metrics that only make us feel like sharks. Customer's don't like it and we don't like it. Bring back that familial feeling, what was lost in the corporate restructuring a while back. You're losing valuable employees because we're being stifled with numbers and no support structure.

If only Apple knew how bad this place really was...

Former Employee - Service Technician
    Former Employee - Service Technician

I worked at PeachMac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

working inside the Apple culture and environment. Getting hands on experience with the product and the customers

Cons

Working for PeachMac is the worst con of the entire thing.
    Managers are a joke
    Pay is a joke
    Corporate is more concerned with having fun then taking care of the company

Advice to corporate. Fire everyone and start over from scratch.

Awesome

I have been working at PeachMac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great People, Fun place to work

Cons

Retail hours and working on holidays

Very disorganized and management has some severe communication issues

I worked at PeachMac full-time

Pros

Smaller company means you can be heard, if someone is willing to listen

Cons

Management will tell you everything is ok, then lay you off citing reasons that you never knew were issues in the first place because they never brought them to your attention. Heard of "fearless feeback"? The concept for this company has potential, but upper management can't seem to agree on how to communicate and run this company. They need to get better talent in there.

If there is a problem, give the employee a chance to correct their actions. Be open and honest. Learn to communicate better with other managers across tho stores, and try to be on the same page with policies and procedures.

PeachMac Photos