Peapod

Peapod Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Peapod – US – “Delivery”

Andrew B. Parkinson

Great money if you're interested in a fast paced position.

Driver (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay was great seeing that you needed no specialized skills to do the job.
    You weren't constantly micromanaged
    The company cared about its drivers

ConsGetting time off as a driver was difficult. (blackout dates, limited time off)
    Mistakes led to termination.
    Driver turnover was high.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproving the PTO procedures would make drivers more comfortable.
    Being more transparent at the lower management level.

Low pay

Driver (Current Employee)
    Hanover, MD

ProsTips are good and coworkers are fun

ConsNot full-time and management is the worst

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter routing

Shopper

Personal Shopper (Current Employee)
    New Hyde Park, NY

ProsEasy job. They hire ANYONE. Good schedule for college student

ConsBad managers. Low salary. Not enough hours. Laid us all of without warning. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ever changing, never a dull moment.

ProsGreat work life balance. People and management are committed to providing quality products. Great new location downtown. Management open to innovation from all levels of the organization and provide work hours to explore ideas.

ConsNot much room for advancement. Limited vacation time. If you need quiet, this is not the place for you. Open office noisy and chaotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page.

Prev. Driver at the Hanover, Md. location. (Was a Mystery)!

Delivery Driver (Former Employee)
    Hanover, MD

ProsOpp to make ok money and benefits.

ConsDel. routs were very bad, mainly because of the various del. windows!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave reg. employee meetings, get driver/employee input.

Great job if you have seniority

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)
    Lake Zurich, IL

ProsA great job where you are given a lot of freedom. When you leave for your route it really is just you and your schedule. Even though the base pay is below average, the tips you get from customers usually more than make up for it. An average tip day usually yields around an extra 10$ per hour if not more. Additionally, management is very helpful and have been put in a position by upper management where their success is only partially tied into your success. Meaning that they really do try to help you improve, but without micromanaging. You are allowed to struggle early on before the culmination of experience makes you capable of actually finishing a route on time. It is really a fantastic job when all goes well. As long as you are ok with making short small talk 15-25 times a day.

ConsThere are certainly aspects of the job that are quite challenging. Learning how to read addresses seems simple but in downtown Chicago it can become quite a chore. Learning where to park can be hard, and a large part of delivering you can really only find out on the job. Such as learning about different buildings wanting you to deliver through different entrances, it seems that every apartment building has its own quirks. Having to work weekends can be a chore. Not knowing your start or end time is also quite annoying, when a friend says, "want to grab some dinner on saturday?" it is hard to give them a real answer because you do not know if you are getting off at 1:30 or 5 PM! Having a flexible schedule is key if you want to survive at this job.

But by far the worst thing about the job is that routes are handed out by seniority. In the winter, this is not a problem as they usually have plenty of work to go around. But in the summer? You will be lucky to work more than 2 or 3 days a week. There were weeks where I did work at all. You will have days where you are scheduled to work, but they will call you the night before and tell you that you are an "extra" and to call in at 5 AM to see if they need you, which they usually do not. This makes it hard to schedule things outside of work.

You do not always get an actual route on days when you do work, sometimes you get what are called "PUP routes" where you deliver to Peapod Pick-up locations instead of residences. This makes your route very simple, but also tip free. As Peapod Pick-up employees have this thing where they do not want to tip other employees (go figure).

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more obvious opportunities for low seniority guys to get some hours. Create some sort of staggered start time system so that it is easier to predict the days schedule.

Loader (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsPay on time, consistent schedule, professional.

ConsDemanding management, complain too much, don't take upward mobility or internal job applications seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the Chicago crossdock, stop micro-managing so much. Being a loader or driver takes common sense. We don't need you looking at us on the security camera every four seconds while you sit in the office and play with spreadsheets or facebook. Plenty of loaders wanted to be drivers, so they could actually make a living, but you would host job fairs looking for new drivers, how much sense does that make? Promote internally, pay better, and stop placing idiots in middle management roles.

Overworked

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Lake Zurich, IL

ProsSome nice ppl free food to

ConsCall volume is ridiculous, customers are jerks who belittle you which not only does management allow the reward the customer for

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent change in management within the call center has lead to horrible changes. Some of the new "upper management" are on a power trip. Instead of jumping in & helping out they micromanage everyone. Get off your fat azz and do something instead of having meetings to schedule your next meeting

great company

Personal Shopper (Former Employee)
    Westchester, IL

Prosatmosphere, pay, co-workers, managers, growth opportunity

Consnot too many, just little things that happen everywhere you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorked there even before it was in a warehouse, I think its great that its grown so much! Keep doing what your doing

Alright but not a freindly place to work at all

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe money was ok, no uniforms required

ConsHours were long and people don't talk to each other.

Worked for Peapod? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peapod reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peapod CEO Andrew B. Parkinson. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Peapod employees.