Peapod

Andrew B. Parkinson

Greatest place to work

Current Employee - Software in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Peapod full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a place that you will always be doing something interesting and like a good challenge every now and then. Then, this is the place to be

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

Great money if you're interested in a fast paced position.

Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL

I worked at Peapod full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was great seeing that you needed no specialized skills to do the job.
    You weren't constantly micromanaged
    The company cared about its drivers

Cons

Getting time off as a driver was difficult. (blackout dates, limited time off)
    Mistakes led to termination.
    Driver turnover was high.

Improving the PTO procedures would make drivers more comfortable.
    Being more transparent at the lower management level.

At times very frustrating but other times very rewarding. It's a challenge everyday

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Peapod full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growth. Security benefits. People. Different challenge everyday

Cons

Tough hours. Travel. Upper management at times

Listen more. Keep it more positive.

The best company I've worked for so far

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Peapod

Pros

Very casual and friendly atmosphere
    All employees are talented
    Ideas and free thinking encouraged
    Managers and execs genuinely care about employees.
    Really big on promoting from within

Cons

Benefits have been a bit of a roller coaster ride and the cost goes up significantly every year. It pretty much feels like your annual merit increase is lost on the increasing cost of health insurance.

Great fun company!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Peapod

Pros

Fun, cool company to work for! I worked at both a distribution center and at the corporate offices in Skokie. The atmosphere is relaxed and everyone really gets along well. The company culture is great and the business model is awesome.

Cons

Pay scale was less than it should be for a company backed by a huge conglomerate; this was my only gripe.

Overall I felt that the senior management did a great job. There were a few vice presidents I worked under during my tenure that needed to go and eventually senior management saw this and they were were let go. I left only because I did not feel I was being paid highly enough for the education and experience I had.

Great Company

Current Employee - IT in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - IT in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Peapod

Pros

Great people. Good at balancing work and personal life.

Cons

Long term employees have different rules then the newer employees

Great Job

Peapod Selector

I have been working at Peapod

Pros

Great Co-workers, easy job to learn

Cons

Managers do not disciple enough, some workers mess around, long hours on your feet, usually work over scheduled amount of time

Ever changing, never a dull moment.

I have been working at Peapod full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. People and management are committed to providing quality products. Great new location downtown. Management open to innovation from all levels of the organization and provide work hours to explore ideas.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Limited vacation time. If you need quiet, this is not the place for you. Open office noisy and chaotic.

Get on the same page.

Great job if you have seniority

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Peapod part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A great job where you are given a lot of freedom. When you leave for your route it really is just you and your schedule. Even though the base pay is below average, the tips you get from customers usually more than make up for it. An average tip day usually yields around an extra 10$ per hour if not more. Additionally, management is very helpful and have been put in a position by upper management where their success is only partially tied into your success. Meaning that they really do try to help you improve, but without micromanaging. You are allowed to struggle early on before the culmination of experience makes you capable of actually finishing a route on time. It is really a fantastic job when all goes well. As long as you are ok with making short small talk 15-25 times a day.

Cons

There are certainly aspects of the job that are quite challenging. Learning how to read addresses seems simple but in downtown Chicago it can become quite a chore. Learning where to park can be hard, and a large part of delivering you can really only find out on the job. Such as learning about different buildings wanting you to deliver through different entrances, it seems that every apartment building has its own quirks. Having to work weekends can be a chore. Not knowing your start or end time is also quite annoying, when a friend says, "want to grab some dinner on saturday?" it is hard to give them a real answer because you do not know if you are getting off at 1:30 or 5 PM! Having a flexible schedule is key if you want to survive at this job.

But by far the worst thing about the job is that routes are handed out by seniority. In the winter, this is not a problem as they usually have plenty of work to go around. But in the summer? You will be lucky to work more than 2 or 3 days a week. There were weeks where I did work at all. You will have days where you are scheduled to work, but they will call you the night before and tell you that you are an "extra" and to call in at 5 AM to see if they need you, which they usually do not. This makes it hard to schedule things outside of work.

You do not always get an actual route on days when you do work, sometimes you get what are called "PUP routes" where you deliver to Peapod Pick-up locations instead of residences. This makes your route very simple, but also tip free. As Peapod Pick-up employees have this thing where they do not want to tip other employees (go figure).

Create more obvious opportunities for low seniority guys to get some hours. Create some sort of staggered start time system so that it is easier to predict the days schedule.

great company

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Westchester, IL

I worked at Peapod part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

atmosphere, pay, co-workers, managers, growth opportunity

Cons

not too many, just little things that happen everywhere you work.

Worked there even before it was in a warehouse, I think its great that its grown so much! Keep doing what your doing

Peapod Photos