Peapod

Peapod Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Peapod – US – “Delivery”

Andrew B. Parkinson

At times very frustrating but other times very rewarding. It's a challenge everyday

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Peapod full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGrowth. Security benefits. People. Different challenge everyday

ConsTough hours. Travel. Upper management at times

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more. Keep it more positive.

The best company I've worked for so far

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peapod

ProsVery casual and friendly atmosphere
All employees are talented
Ideas and free thinking encouraged
Managers and execs genuinely care about employees.
Really big on promoting from within

ConsBenefits have been a bit of a roller coaster ride and the cost goes up significantly every year. It pretty much feels like your annual merit increase is lost on the increasing cost of health insurance.

Great fun company!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Peapod

ProsFun, cool company to work for! I worked at both a distribution center and at the corporate offices in Skokie. The atmosphere is relaxed and everyone really gets along well. The company culture is great and the business model is awesome.

ConsPay scale was less than it should be for a company backed by a huge conglomerate; this was my only gripe.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I felt that the senior management did a great job. There were a few vice presidents I worked under during my tenure that needed to go and eventually senior management saw this and they were were let go. I left only because I did not feel I was being paid highly enough for the education and experience I had.

Great Company

IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peapod

ProsGreat people. Good at balancing work and personal life.

ConsLong term employees have different rules then the newer employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job

Extreme Growth, Lack of Skilled Bodies

I have been working at Peapod full-time

ProsBenefits, Strong company, Growth, Bonus. The company gets bigger and busier every year, there is room for advancement for the right people. Strong Zone Managers make job easier for assistants. Good business plan.

ConsLack of good help, Hours are demanding, travel to work is tough, most managers have an hour plus commute. unreasonable expectations at times. Really tough on family commitments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be realistic on expectations and what is thrown on a Managers plate. Need to increase Sunday rate for Management. Look to promote more within.

Was a great place to work

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Skokie, IL

I worked at Peapod full-time for less than a year

ProsLow stress work life. Leave on time almost every day.
Nice people.
Good learning opportunities.

ConsI have nothing bad to say about working here, I honestly have no complaints. My only reason for leaving was to persue something more along my interest lines and cut commute time in half. I guess the fact that it's in Skokie and not Chicago is a con for city people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Agile system is good, even though it's not 100% fleshed out yet.

Experience with Peapod is very good. Friendly atmosphere.

QA Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peapod

Pros- Very Nice culture.
- Fresh fruits every wednesday.
- Various company events.
- Flexible hours of working.

Cons- Less growth opportunity.
- Does not sponsor.

Peapod personal shopper

Personal Shopper (Current Employee)
Medford, NY

I have been working at Peapod full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours. Easy to take off and find another person to cover your shift. fast paced work style

Conssketchy management, no personal growth, union sucks , lowest pay

Advice to Senior Managementhave more people that actually know how to manage

The pod

I have been working at Peapod part-time

ProsGood start out job for youngins

ConsManagers and workers have terrible attitudes and tend to play the "favorites" game when looking for promotions, not by who deserves it more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employee knows best

Money is not bad but you have to earn it

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)
Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Peapod full-time for more than a year

ProsCash tips
-Strong company, growing every year
-Good exercise
-nobody standing over you all day
-Lots of opportunity for O.T.
-You can make good money, especially if you move up in seniority
-You can leave when your route is over, no matter what time it is
-Several drivers have made 6 figures but they are top dogs so plan on making closer to 40-50K in the beginning)
-City drivers make more money so if you want more money work in the Chicago Cross dock but is a lot harder

ConsLet me give you a rundown of an average day of a driver.... First off you get a text the night before with your route number and start time (it sucks because it typically comes in around 9:30 and for morning drivers you can start as early as 4:30-5). The first thing you do when you show up is grab a hand cart. There are short ones and tall ones and some have lips that fold out. (A major issue I have is there are never enough big carts with lips so the earlier routes will have their pick). Then the dispatcher gives you a case with your route, a gps, cell phone, and clipboard with all the paperwork for your customers. The average stops per route is about 20, areas that are densely populated like Evanston or Chicago will almost always have more to the 22-25 stops and the rural areas have about 17-20. Now you can punch in 7 minutes prior to or after your start time which is nice but once you have punched in you have 10 minutes to check your truck for any damage, set up your gps and phone and drive off the lot. Every now and then the warehouse will be behind on loading your truck so you have to hang out and wait. It typically isint too long but every so often you will be an hour or more behind and that totally ruins your day. Anyways, you get to your route and once you get to a stop you punch a button on your cell phone that lets the dispatch center know you have arrived. They use this to track your progress throughout the day and lets the customer know via text that you have arrived. Then you find the boxes and load them onto the cart and bring the groceries. This is where it gets kind of annoying because the customer can put in special delivery instructions that you have to be sure to read and often times it makes the delivery much harder then it has to be. The other big problem I have is they often times do not give you enough time to do certain stops. Is is based on the past history of deliveries but a lot of people have different sized orders so the time is not always accurate. Plus when they make your route they never take into consideration other factors such as traffic, construction, nowhere to easily park, etc. If you hustle and work hard you can do it faster and earn a few minutes here and there but it only takes one mishap to easily lose 10 plus minutes and all your hard work is negated. You just keep going in order until your route is done so it is not complicated at all and they days actually do go by very fast but you are literally working all the time be it driving or delivering. You do get a 25 minute break but nobody takes it and instead use that extra time to try and stay ahead or finish early. One thing that absolutely drives everyone crazy is when the routing department intentionally cuts drive times between stops in order to fit in more stops into specific delivery windows. You end up finishing way behind and it just kills your morale but they want to squeeze as much as they can out of you. This happens pretty much every Saturday but most other days are ok as far as drive times go. When you finish and get back to the warehouse you track your mileage, check your truck for damage, return your cart and case with the provided items and go home. Like I mentioned earlier you get to leave when your route is over so once you get good at it you can routinely finish ahead of schedule. There are more specifics and things I won't go into but that is the gist of it.

-Not all routes are created equal; different towns have better tipping customers and easier deliveries. These routes are given out by seniority and the top guys obviously get the best areas.
-They preach safety and accuracy over efficiency so do not rush to the point where you get in accidents or miss items on the orders. Those who do get fired quickly and never last. The speed will come with experience and practice

Advice to Senior Management-Communicate to your drivers more often.
-Appreciate how hard this job is, most of you were drivers once but it has gotten harder since you guys were behind the wheel so relax a bit.
-Give a more accurate description on compensation... When I was hired I was told an average of $15 dollars per hour after tips which is way too low. If you report a more accurate income then more people will work there (the company has a hard time finding drivers at times and I wrote this to try and give people a realistic look at how this job goes down)

Worked for Peapod? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peapod reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peapod CEO Andrew B. Parkinson. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Peapod employees.