Pearland ISD

Virgil Tiemann

It has been a wondeful experience working with Pearland ISD

Current Employee - Teachercher in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Teachercher in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great group always willing to help others

Cons

I have not 1 negative issue with Pearland ISD.

Keep up the good work and provide the best education possible.

The Technology Department doesn't make sense.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a stable job and lots of good people.

Cons

If you work hard you won't be rewarded. The best way to get ahead is to kiss up.

Get out of the office and find out why projects aren't tested in advance. Find out why a project success is not verified. Find out why they don't take the time to make sure all the bugs are worked out before moving in to the next project. Find out why there is so much waste. Find out why out why management doesn't listen to the people in the field. Find out why advancement is achieved by how well you kiss up and not through hard work, dedication, and loyalty.

Very structured, overall nice suburban atmosphere in schools, however; administrators are KEY in experience.

Former Employee - History and Government Teacher
    Former Employee - History and Government Teacher

I worked at Pearland ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked there for three years. Competitive salary, around $44,000 for a new teacher to the district. Most curriculum specialists are good about providing resources. Science and Math curriculum specialists (according to those subject teachers) offer a ton of pretty good material. English offers quite a bit as well, but due to the laxness in the scope and sequence from each teacher to teacher, this can be difficult to implement. Online grade book SKYWARD has lots of features and is for the most part user friendly, you just have to get with other teachers to learn the ins and outs, as there is no formal thorough presentation. We used Eduphoria for professional development. There are numerous tools with this program for testing analysis. (I.E. STAAR top scorers, low performers, student by student question breakdown analysis etc.) The types of students varied. I would say if you are teaching accelerated courses, GT, AP, etc. your students will be pretty good behaviorally, but beware. There seemed to be quite a bit of parent involvement ( often the kind where the teacher must have done something wrong, because I [insert former professional basketball player, football player, snotty suburban parent with mediocre career] KNOW my student shouldn't be making an 89! But there were some great parents as well! The kind who are involved and hold their children accountable. In the regular courses, there can be some cannons! Athletics is held in high regard in this district, so football players can be tamed, but watch out for frustrated coaches. It's those students uninvolved, (as I'm sure it is in EVERY other district) that can be the most difficult. The alternative campus has an accelerated self-paced program for many of these students that have been in and out of school for whatever reason. Teachers at this campus can expect 4-5 preps concurrently, as they cover one year's worth of material in 9 weeks. However, they enjoy much smaller classroom sizes -- around sometimes 4 or 5 but it can be up to 15. The regular school classroom sizes can fluctuate. I've seen 33 kids in a room, and I've seen 18. The beginning of the school year can be big with influx and then kids move around. Overall, I was pleased with the DISTRICT'S support for the teachers. Pearland ISD will look like a very professionally managed district to those newcomers. Indeed, it is, however, the administration is full of politics. If you do your job, and mind your business it will be a good experience. Unless of course you end up with the one principal no one wants to work with. Ask the teachers at your school before you sign your contract! If they hesitate even for a moment about the conduct of this principal you truly should re-consider.

Cons

My experience may have been a different story if I went to a different school. I left entirely due to administration, and let me be clear, ONE administrator, at my campus caused almost an entire staff to leave, as they do each year.

When teachers, and office staff, and other administrators all send formal complaints. Take heed. It's sad to know that this information is virtually common knowledge around the district and this person takes home a $70,000 plus paycheck just because no one else wants the job. Rise above mediocrity Pearland, its just not right and you are losing really fantastic teachers.

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close to my home, good neighbordhood

Cons

A few Bilingual programs classroms

Good

training was excellent

I worked at Pearland ISD part-time

Pros

good hours benefits, good salary, summers off. wonderful co-workers.

Cons

weather could be a problem but company was helpful in getting you back and forth

Solid employment, good retirement, low pay

I have been working at Pearland ISD

Pros

Good retirement, great mid level supervision, great holiday time off

Cons

low pay by comparison, administration out of touch with employee needs

bring pay up to a livable level, allow yearly evaluations to actually mean something, recognize all departments equally....it seems that the craftsman and maintenance personnel are almost an after thought

Nice people working like dogs

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Pearland ISD

Pros

Nice intelligent co-workers, good kids, some administrators really super, others ok

Cons

compensation not the greatest, do reports every three weeks on large load of kids, very locked in to test scores

Work environment is good, but public education is still communistic.

Current Employee - Teacher/Coach
    Current Employee - Teacher/Coach

I have been working at Pearland ISD

Pros

The following are the pros to working at Pearland ISD:
    1. Pay
    2. Benefits
    3. Time off (unless you coach)

Cons

The following are the cons to working at Pearland ISD:
    1. Ignorant kids
    2. Ignorant parents
    3. Having to unrealistically document EVERYTHING

Quit worrying about test scores and ratings, allow us the option to fail students, and maybe the students would:
    1. Behave