Pearland ISD Reviews

Great company

Current Employee - Substitute
    Current Employee - Substitute

I have been working at Pearland ISD

Pros

The benefits are great, and so is the people that you work with. Very helpful

Cons

No insurance for substitutes and sometimes you don't get many hours

2. Great school and community

Current Employee - Director of Catalyt Colorguards in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Catalyt Colorguards in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD

Pros

Very highly motivated students and staff.

Cons

Students are sometimes too competitive.

Advice to Management

Let kids be kids.

3. Assistant Principal

I worked at Pearland ISD full-time

Pros

The staff that works for Pearland ISD is excellent. The teachers really care about student success. It is located in a great community.

Cons

The city is growing very rapidly.

It's okay...

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time

Pros

Benefits, working with children, time off

Cons

Lots of paperwork, no advancement, no discipline, poor administrators

6. Work environment is clean, safe, and organized. Most students are respectful and engaged in learning.

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive administration and community, great colleagues

Cons

Salary scale does little to reward employees who stay with the district. Pay increases are very small. Stipends for everyone but coaches are inadequate, making it hard to find teachers to help with extra curricular activities.

Advice to Management

Stick with the things that work. Dawson HS was purposely built as a division 4A school. Letting it outgrow the facility is foolish, and will undermine its success in the long run.

7. Great District

Current Employee - Teacher in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD

Pros

- Great Administration - Proactive in the community.

Cons

currently no cons to mention.

Advice to Management

As a district they value family time.

The Technology Department doesn't make sense.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a stable job and lots of good people.

Cons

If you work hard you won't be rewarded. The best way to get ahead is to kiss up.

Advice to Management

Get out of the office and find out why projects aren't tested in advance. Find out why a project success is not verified. Find out why they don't take the time to make sure all the bugs are worked out before moving in to the next project. Find out why there is so much waste. Find out why out why management doesn't listen to the people in the field. Find out why advancement is achieved by how well you kiss up and not through hard work, dedication, and loyalty.

Very structured, overall nice suburban atmosphere in schools, however; administrators are KEY in experience.

Former Employee - History and Government Teacher
    Former Employee - History and Government Teacher

I worked at Pearland ISD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked there for three years. Competitive salary, around $44,000 for a new teacher to the district. Most curriculum specialists are good about providing resources. Science and Math curriculum specialists (according to those subject teachers) offer a ton of pretty good material. English offers quite a bit as well, but due to the laxness in the scope and sequence from each teacher to teacher, this can be difficult to implement. Online grade book SKYWARD has lots of features and is for the most part user friendly, you just have to get with other teachers to learn the ins and outs, as there is no formal thorough presentation. We used Eduphoria for professional development. There are numerous tools with this program for testing analysis. (I.E. STAAR top scorers, low performers, student by student question breakdown analysis etc.) The types of students varied. I would say if you are teaching accelerated courses, GT, AP, etc. your students will be pretty good behaviorally, but beware. There seemed to be quite a bit of parent involvement ( often the kind where the teacher must have done something wrong, because I [insert former professional basketball player, football player, snotty suburban parent with mediocre career] KNOW my student shouldn't be making an 89! But there were some great parents as well! The kind who are involved and hold their children accountable. In the regular courses, there can be some cannons! Athletics is held in high regard in this district, so football players can be tamed, but watch out for frustrated coaches. It's those students uninvolved, (as I'm sure it is in EVERY other district) that can be the most difficult. The alternative campus has an accelerated self-paced program for many of these students that have been in and out of school for whatever reason. Teachers at this campus can expect 4-5 preps concurrently, as they cover one year's worth of material in 9 weeks. However, they enjoy much smaller classroom sizes -- around sometimes 4 or 5 but it can be up to 15. The regular school classroom sizes can fluctuate. I've seen 33 kids in a room, and I've seen 18. The beginning of the school year can be big with influx and then kids move around. Overall, I was pleased with the DISTRICT'S support for the teachers. Pearland ISD will look like a very professionally managed district to those newcomers. Indeed, it is, however, the administration is full of politics. If you do your job, and mind your business it will be a good experience. Unless of course you end up with the one principal no one wants to work with. Ask the teachers at your school before you sign your contract! If they hesitate even for a moment about the conduct of this principal you truly should re-consider.

Cons

My experience may have been a different story if I went to a different school. I left entirely due to administration, and let me be clear, ONE administrator, at my campus caused almost an entire staff to leave, as they do each year.

Advice to Management

When teachers, and office staff, and other administrators all send formal complaints. Take heed. It's sad to know that this information is virtually common knowledge around the district and this person takes home a $70,000 plus paycheck just because no one else wants the job. Rise above mediocrity Pearland, its just not right and you are losing really fantastic teachers.

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Pearland ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to my home, good neighbordhood

Cons

A few Bilingual programs classroms

Advice to Management

Good

11. training was excellent

I worked at Pearland ISD part-time

Pros

good hours benefits, good salary, summers off. wonderful co-workers.

Cons

weather could be a problem but company was helpful in getting you back and forth

RSS Feed </> Embed