Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 56 reviews
  • "Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street"
    in 32 reviews
  • "IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst career move to join this company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsInvolvement in higher education and helping students and educators. Opportunity to learn everyday

ConsYoung, inexperienced, bullying, and dishonest management. Only care about profits and make clear they do not care about the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your reps and treat them with respect

Pearson Online Learning - Orlando

Search Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsFair pay and benefits. Growing industry. Can wear jeans to work.

ConsPearson recently acquired a small startup called Embanet Compass and has taken on the worst of both worlds. On one hand the company is highly bureaucratic and political. Some of the changes come from "on high" and make no sense to the employees on the ground. On the other, it's highly disorganized with a lot of empty positions yet to fill. The original directors on staff also have attitudes because they think they are Orlando's version of internet gurus. Don't let the jeans fool you, this is not a fun and happy place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining should be telling new employees how great you are, how much you hate everyone else, and just being overall condescending. Also, the culture stinks, it's very high stress and reactionary. A quarterly happy-hour doesn't make for happy employees. Finally, if you offer things like telecommuting don't threaten to take it away every time something doesn't go your way.

Sales Consultant

ProsGreat work life balance once you master your job. Initial learning curve and long hours.

ConsDepending on your territory, you may have lots of travel.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promotion based on seniority not merit but if you just want a job it's got good benefits

Production Project Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsUsually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media. Fantastic vacation and sick-leave policy (at least in California!). Doing really innovative work in the areas of education efficacy in media and course management.

ConsBureaucracy at it's best. Entrenched middle management that are extremely fearful of change. Also, extremely slow moving. It is a huge organization, and very hard to get inefficient or out-dated procedures changed beyond sub-departments.

A new workflow rolled out that was only half-baked. Training programs provided by the team in charge of the workflow have been unclear, and across departments and business units everyone has a different idea of what the new roles entail.

Editors and Directors of Editorial Development in the Sciences show a seriously deficiency in the understanding of the paradigm shift from textbook publishers (linear, top-down, paper-based, bulk production products) to educational information publishers (non-linear, iterative, multi-format, customized products).

No options for career growth.

No connection between continuing value provided to the company and salary increases or meaningful rewards or recognition.

I used to be really happy at Pearson. But I left because of everything mentioned above that snowballed over years that I was there, I left. And when people have asked me about working there I have said go for it, just know what you're getting into.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo get, and more importantly maintain, top talent in the Bay Area you have to offer competitive, living wages. Maintaining top talent is tremendously important. You don't want to invest in training and then lose that person to Google, Facebook, or the next edu tech start-up. Which is what has been happening the last 3 years, and will continue to happen.

Money's not the whole story. Enough with the top-down messaging. Work to empower your employees. Have clear incentives between quality of work produced and meaningful rewards. Hire managers that are brave enough to hire people that know more than them––and then listen to them. As David Ogilvy said "If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants."

Provide quality training. You can't expect your technology uneducated and fearful staff to provide cutting-edge educational products.

Don't be afraid to fire people who's bad attitude or poor quality of work are holding a team, company, or department, back.

Be brave, imaginative, and decent. Live up to the stated Culture of Pearson.

Great Company!

ProsThe company offers excellent benefits and flexible work options (flex work options are great if you can get them).

ConsNobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to develop individuals that get promoted to management. Everyone who's good at their will not necessarily make a good manager of other people doing the job, but management skills can be taught.

Great place to make a difference

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Centennial, CO

ProsSmart people. Challenging projects. You can use more modern technologies. Hackathons are fun. Innovation is rewarded.

ConsInfrastructure changes are causing some hiccups. Some parts of the organization have too much red tape involved and that can really slow you down.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a ton of great people at Pearson but there are some bad apples with bad attitudes that tend to bring others down. Let them go and make room for some more positive people.

Negative supervisor experience

Development Editor/Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good; coworkers are interesting and helpful; and training is available. The large city location where I worked has many interesting retail stores, good restaurants, easy public transportation access, and outdoor opportunities for after-work interactions.

ConsManagers/Supervisors do not value employees' work effort in fast-paced deadline driven environment. Morale is low. There is constant criticism and blame to drive productivity, and little to no effort to integrate "over 20's" interests and priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up....

Company is trending in the wrong direction

Director (Former Employee)
    Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsGood stability with employees that have been employed for a long period of time. The stability and allows you to manage work life balance. It is difficult to overlook the advantages of being able to overlook

ConsLack of innovation; they do not have an objective way of managing or assessing talent with qualified professionals. Long tenured employee can fall into the routine trap and lack of motivation to remain current on innovative trends. Management seems to be the first to fall into this trap which leads to bad management and lack of company growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping good talent and rewarding change agents that can help to transition the business for emerging growth. Hire diverse talent to bring a different perspective and avoid 'group think'.

Overall positive review of company, but some divisions left behind

Editorial Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat mission overall, to improve the lives of learners worldwide through innovative products; top-level management really does seem to believe that message; good opportunities for advancement if you're self-motivated and dedicated; really smart, great people on staff; salary better than usual in book publishing world

ConsAlthough the long-term mission is a good one, I'm pessimistic about whether they'll actually achieve it; the change from a print publishing company to an all-format education company is a tough one, especially with so many things changing in the publishing world. My division is somewhat tangential to Pearson's main enterprises, so it just gathers dust, trying desperately to stay alive, reacting wildly to each new business trend, dragging its increasingly demoralized staff along with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake account of all divisions in reorgs, make sure everyone is along for the ride.

Challenges around ever corner

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are friendly and hard working. The benefits are adequate for a large company.

ConsThe company is a 24/7 operation. The management team struggles. Politics are terrible. They reorg every 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company struggles as they over complicate solutions and hire too many people to manage customers, but not enough to actually do the technical work. Every contract ends up being customized so there is never a product that is off the shelf leading to long ramp up times.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 723 reviews posted anonymously by Pearson employees.