Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media(in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street(in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours(in 25 reviews)

From #1 to Done! Completely mismanaged company being driven into the ground by Ego-maniacs

Marketing (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat co-workers and mid-level managers are often over-worked but still care about their reports while coping with little or no support staff.

ConsAll downhill since Marjorie Scardino left. John Fallon (CEO) thought he was being a real maverick hiring someone with very little experience in the school space and then had him fire folks with 30 years experience in education and lay off reps who has sold print books in the past--many who were over goal. In one market, a rep with a previous annual 98% market-share (deep South), who set an all time record at Pearson and his state, was let go so some manager from another division could have his job as a rep. He now works for Pearson's largest competitor. Not joking, couldn't make this up. HR's latest foray is to get mid-level managers to have hourly reports file FALSE reviews on this site. You can tell when you read them as they sound like an recruiting brochure with the same pathetic writing style. You have never seen a company that was once #1 fail so miserably at digital learning as Pearson has. If you are in sales, you will sit at your desk doing report after report, training video after training video so some person in marketing or management can justify their position to HR. The implosion is already underway but luckily, I sold my stock early on!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop filing false reviews on this website, it's childish and everyone knows it. Anyone you point to this site to tell them John Fallon has a 58% approval rating will naturally notice the similarities in writing style and check the 1 and 2 star ratings and know the truth about what's happened. Stop over-managing sales into the ground! We do more written planning and writing about selling than we do selling and for what? So you can feel good about knocking down a 6-7 figure income demanding ridiculous reports that no one reads? To all, please think of the movie "Office Space" and "TPS Reports" multiplied by 100! :)

Industry in turmoil; short-sighted emphasis on profit over quality of materials.

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsIntelligent, hard-working colleagues and excellent benefits. Many people care about quality and working in partnership with authors and customers, but the institutional emphases have shifted markedly to short-term profitability-- often at the expense of long-standing author/publisher relationships. This situation is an industry trend and not a Pearson-specific issue, per se.

ConsRegular, very poorly planned and executed reorganizations-- some seemingly driven by individual managers' desires to "manage up" with little thought to repercussions and long-term feasibility. So many built-in inefficiencies due to poorly thought through, top-down shifts where all key players are not brought to the table. While the latest top-down reorg (ongoing through 2013) trimmed a lot of top-line dead wood and sycophantic non-performers, the current CEO is giving short-shrift to North American higher ed in favor of the opportunities to build for-profit schools (using Pearson materials) in the developing world. Fewer people are working harder and harder with poor recognition, generally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn such a stressful environment-- the college textbook market is undergoing major change as is higher ed, generally-- remember that small things matter: acknowledgement of hard work, entertaining staff (that's EVERYONE, not just specific players) on the company dime (even if we're talking pizza and a chat with management on any given Friday). Transparency is necessary: people need to understand how they fit into long-term plans.

Mass Chaos

IT Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsIt was good while it lasted.

ConsPearson is going through another corporate reorg, this time however, it's global. The London office has made it clear that they are making all the decisions from here on out unwilling to hear opposing opinions especially when they come from US workers.

I've never seen so many talented engineers run for the hills. Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what other parts of the business have to say, espeically in the states, your most talented engineers are leaving in droves! These are the people you are going to need to stay in business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wooooo doggie, this company and everything it stands for is pure evil.

Higher Education Sales Representative (Former Employee) No Oaks, MN

ProsI am so floored by this company's terrible management that I am unable to come up with one positive thing to say.

ConsThis is a company that does not care about it's products, employees, or it's customers-they only care about market share. Trust. Do not work there! I wish I would have read these posts before I took a job with this terrible company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all of the young and inexperienced district and regional managers that only care about instant profit and know very little about the industry.

It's a company with a clear mission and goal

ProsThey are flexible and understand that you have a life outside of work. Company values are excellent

ConsChallenge would be the pay. However, those that go into education, don't expect to pay 6 figure salaries.

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsVery flexible schedule, friendly work environment.

ConsPay on the lower end.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust a bit more please.

Ready to move on!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsLocations, great supervisor and opportunity to be creative and like what I do is what keeps me here.

ConsBenefits are not consistent across all areas of the company. Pay and advancement is limited. We have lost many great, talented people. Not a very professional culture across the board. Needs a lot more structure and best practices. Not a current, modern company.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome place to work and great culture

Consconstantly changing which can be intimidating to some people

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Mergers

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Old Tappan, NJ

ProsGood company leaders who have managed to merger multiple companies.

ConsThe majority of the employees have been with this company for several years and training wasn't an issue back then as it is now. The company lacks training after hiring and you pretty much have to jump right in and do the best you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training and listen to your employees when in need of training to help make the company a better company.

Lofty ideals, lost in the translation

(Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsColleagues tend to be bright, hardworking, and committed to the company mission. Mutual support is evident, unfortunately it has become more so under the strains of the last 18 months of upheaval.

ConsPearson is going through a rapid transformation that might not have been so painful if they had started a few years ago. ~ 10% of the company has been let go since the new CEO stepped in, with more to come. Revenues are in steep decline. Trust of management has eroded as those in the trenches watch colleagues be let go with seeming no rhyme nor reason, and more work heaped on those who are left.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be too late.... many of those let go or who left in frustration were the heart and soul of the organization, who would have worked their tails off to help turn the organization around. Hope you don't live to regret it and wonder what the former CEO is thinking as she watches from the sidelines. Sad.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!