Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media(in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street(in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours(in 25 reviews)

High demands, but very helpful staff

Temporary Distributed Scorer (Current Employee)

Pros-Supervisors, HR, and Tech support are very polite and try to be as helpful as possible. Their positivity is very reassuring.
    -Pay is pretty good for what you're doing
    -Software is very straightforward and easy to pick up

Cons-Productivity demands can be a bit high, though it makes sense
    -Requires constantly high-level work (understandable, but nerve-racking sometimes)
    -Work can get a bit tedious, especially when you have no contact with fellow employees except when you have a question for a supervisor
    -Software is a bit dated, despite functioning perfectly fine

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only real struggle with distributed scoring is feeling like you're the only person scoring, so any sort of environment for distributed scorers to interact with each other (Google Group, Facebook Group, anything) could boost productivity, or at least positivity, if done right. Having worked both on-site and from home, I would much rather work on-site because of the other people sharing in the experience.

Great culture and company

ProsThey spend a lot of time on training and making sure you are comfortable coming in. Great benefits and management is within reach to express goals and coworkers are very helpful getting new comers to educate themselves properly. Open resources and open to feedback.

ConsThere is no real structure for orientation. So at the corporate level where do I find my benefits even if I have them? There are no designated trainers so it's hit or miss how productive your days are starting out.

A good company to work for.

ProsGreat work-life balance, nice people.

ConsThe salary is relatively low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMember of small team, a fair amount of input in overall product

ConsRoom for advancement could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline internal process, which can be slow some times

The Fall of Western Civilization is due to corporations like Pearson.

Sales Cyborg (Current Employee) Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsI can only mention the past. When I worked at Prentice-Hall, life was great. I managed many authors and textbook series. Then things went south in 2006 when Pearson's corporate greed took over.

ConsToo many to list but I mourn for our country's future when incompetent managers run this corporation into the ground. Pearson management and all corporation management should be sent to the moon! You have no shame.
    When the average upper manager makes 246 times what the real worker of the company makes, then we are all doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you for taking perfectly great companies, resting on their laurels and emptying the coffers for your own personal benefit; firing the workers to just hire another round... DISGUSTING! But I'm well aware that this is just SAP standard operating procedure for corporations today.

Very dissatisfied with the way they treat their employees any one with longevity they try to get rid off.

Operations (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe coworkers, It used to be ran by a woman that knew what the heck she was doing. Now it's ran by overseas people.

ConsMajor changes going on with this company. A lot of lay offs lately. It seems its out with the old and in with the new young lower paid people. No job stability. If you are older don't bother trying to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. They have knowledge that is important. Don't force them out to bring in new lower paid employees. Respect their years of service and dedication to your company.

Heavy workload with few opportunities for advancement

Software Developer (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsLearning new technologies, work isn't repetitive, friendly and helpful colleagues. Many opportunities to add new skills and challenge oneself.

ConsFeel undervalued and unappreciated, all the while consistently working 50-60 hour weeks due to unrealistic deadlines. Underpaid relative to years of experience and years with the company compared to what could be made by finding a new job. Annual salary increases based on company performance as a whole and not business unit e.g. my unit makes $100 million in profit, yet Pearson as a whole loses money so no raise given. One overperforming unit of 5k employees is penalized for other units losing substantial amounts of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward employee and team effort. A thank you every now and then can do wonders. Decouple annual salary increases from overall company performance. Why should any one group work hard if another unrelated group on different continent holds your fate in their hands?

Years ago, a great company. Now, not so much.

Procurement (Current Employee) Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsFlexible working hours. Great vacation, sick and personal time benefits

ConsThe overall vibe and energy of this company is poor. It's making people bitter that every month there are more and more people losing their jobs, and management can't give us guidelines. to the remaining folks, to follow, to keep our jobs. The negative people are allowed to contitne to be negative, and it spoils the vibe for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to show you care about the working environment. Say thank you occassionally.

Must love publishing, and be willing to work for cheap.

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you're passionate about publishing, this is a good place to be. However, the pay is very low and the way to move up is to either work longer hours with no extra pay, or to become a sales rep and move. If you have no interest in being a textbook sales rep, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to you. But, if it's more important to you to have a good work-life balance and time off, this is a great place to be! They have summer hours from Memorial day to Labor Day where you can work extra hours in the day Mon-Thurs to have a half day on Friday. There are plenty of days off and for the most part, everyone in the building is a job to work with!

ConsAs I've mentioned before, the pay is below adequate. And there is no clear path for growth or development. On the editorial team there is a clear direction for how to move up. Marketing does not have this.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement never thinks about the little people in the company. They're all too worried about how much money they will make. The new policy has been, when someone leaves, to not replace them. With this model, the people who hurt are the lowest men and women on the totem pole. They end up doing multiple jobs for the same amount of pay.

Decent pay, if you can tolerate the company

Supervisor (Former Employee) Westerville, OH

ProsThe pay is decent. As a supervisor I earned $13 an hour, plus regular overtime.

ConsAlthough you don't have much contact with the higher-ups and the workings of the company as a scorer or supervisor, enough trickles down and there are enough problems that you realize the company gets a lot wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a solid in-between job. It's only seasonal, but it's there if you need it. I've fallen back on it twice in 7 years. I wouldn't want to work for the company full-time, and I was always turning in resumes to other companies while working at Pearson.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!