Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media(in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street(in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours(in 25 reviews)

Overall I had a good experience at Pearson.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGreat people, benefits and good company mission. They are very good at the recruiting and keeping clients.

ConsDoesn't seem to be a lot of room for advancement unless you know someone. There are some very hard working employees there that never get a chance to move up because they aren't friendly with their manager and it should not be like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the real employees who do the work, these people are being held back because middle management and upper management are out of touch with what is going on. All they seem to be worried about is bringing in new clients and not really satisfying the one's they already have.

Steady

Technical Support (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsBeing able to implement customer service.

ConsCommunication isn't great, but somewhat ok, It could be better.

Bad management, not trust in employees

User Experience Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits are great, NY office is beautiful, and lots of great people work(ed?) there.

ConsUgh. Management is in total disarray. My part of the company went through something like 3 reorgs in 3 years. Middle managers spend most their time protecting the individual contributors from getting screwed by the horrible people at the very top. I never knew who exactly I was supposed to be reporting to, and was explicitly forbidden (for "political" reasons) from doing most of the functions of my job that I was hired to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I left there were lots of good people around, but from what I've heard there's been a mass exodus in the last month or two. The only way to fix anything is to get rid of the crazy people at the very top of the food chain- there are many! - and trust some of the smart, experienced people lower down to do the jobs they were hired for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

ProsOne of few employer who offers good salary benefits

ConsNot driven; Silos; take success for granted

Pearson is changing and right now it's a tough place to work.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsPearson provides great flexibility and excellent benefits. As with any job, it is what you make it. You do have access to a lot of different peoples in a lot of different roles from whom you can learn.

ConsThe compensation at Pearson is certainly low. If you've been with the company for a long period of time, even if you are successful, your increases do not reflect the level of performance or responsibility. Currently, Pearson is in the midst of a reorganization that does not seem to be going well. New management is being put into place and they don't have the knowledge or the desire to learn what employees within their reporting structure do. There has been quite a lot of downsizing, some of which made sense, but some seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a reorg gone bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to forget that even though you want to move forward as a technology services company, the bulk of your revenue still comes from selling text books.

Going downhill

Test Administrator (Current Employee)

Pros- Flexible schedule
    - Usually easy work environment

ConsUnnecessary/ill-thought-out strict policies that cause trouble for both test-takers and TAs; chipping away our paid hours, even when candidates finish early, which already cuts off our scheduled time by around half an hour; getting upset when the end time we record is off by a minute is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that there should be a fine line between zero tolerance and zero common sense. "Playing by the book" is a whole lot easier said than done. If we did so, you'd have both unhappy TAs and unhappy test-takers. They're already stressed out enough taking an exam that their job might depend on. Also, a little more transparency would be nice. When you give more rules/policies (which come every other day), please explain to us why. "I don't know" and "It's what your exam board requires" are the best answers we can offer to the test-takers, and offering them gets seriously annoying after a thousand times. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a high employee turnover rate soon.

I like working here the benefits are good as far as health care

ProsThey have great health care and they work with you, very flexible. You can move around Quick

ConsThe raises there are not that great unless your moving to a different department

Just in.

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHave enough your own time

ConsI don't know yet, in the future.

Excellent Products, Great People, bad sales crediting

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsPearson's overall mission to help students get through college is excellent. I believe the MyLab products they create when in the hands of professors make a difference to the students, with the low retention rates in colleges and the high student loans students need to have personalized learning on their schedule. The benefits are great, top healthcare benefits, matching up to 3% for 401k and half contribution matching until 6%. The management overall is now top notch and willing to listen for solutions from all parts of the company. Pearson is trying hard to be at the top of the industry and transform itself into a technology company.

ConsThe largest issue with Pearson is that all of it's systems are old. The CRM is from 1996 most of the information is entered manually by a sales representative and breaks often. The sales reporting tools are not transparent and are confusing to interpret. Since the systems are so old many of the new product models are not supported by the old reporting systems. This creates all sorts of situations where Pearson is receiving money but sales does not see credit. Additionally when there are errors or misunderstandings around crediting issues the people in charge of the sales crediting are ridiculous to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I was running Pearson I would invest in a CRM that helped my sales people move from data entry to selling. I would also ensure that all of the sales crediting issues and cloudiness around payment got corrected.

Great place to work.

Temporary Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsThe atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The people you work with are helpful, team players. Great training and they have a lot of free online courses that can be taken for free anytime you want to expand you knowledge in a particular area. A lot of the employees are allowed to telecommute and meetings can be joined by all team members through the use a video chat platform.

ConsThe hours in some of the temp positions are unpredictable. But this is not an issue for permanent full time positions.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!