Pearson Education Services

Pearson Education Services Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
87 reviews filtered by
CEO

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job allows you to have a quality work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Really great people, good leadership, stable company, world leader in education services (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours of work not enough pay (in 4 reviews)

• Not a lot of growth opportunity but the work is interesting (in 2 reviews)

1. Project Manager

I worked at Pearson Education Services

Pros

Pearson is an innovative company. They seem to use the most current software to accomplish the job.

Cons

There seems to be a glass ceiling especially for women.Work life balance is not very good. Lots of hours

2. Data Services Engineer, Jr.

Former Employee - Implementation Services in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Implementation Services in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson Education Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, and good work life balance

Cons

lackluster involvement when promoting from within

Advice to Management

Generate a more comprehensive employee training program that allows for career growth

3. I began working as a scorer for standardized tests and am now a scoring supervisor. I read essays on a computer moniter

Current Employee - Test Scorer Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Test Scorer Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pearson Education Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every year they offer employment either full-time or part-time based on your current availability.

Cons

Can be stressful, due to the competitiveness with necessary correct scoring.

5. Was lured away from a great job with promises which were quickly broken.

Former Employee - Area General Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Area General Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Pearson Education Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with name recognition.

Cons

They've gotten so large that they no longer care about their employees

6. SQE III

I worked at Pearson Education Services full-time

Pros

Talented people. Cutting edge technology. Decent work/life balance.

Cons

Managed by a bunch of paranoid monkeys. It's much more important who gets the credit or blame, than actually solving a problem.

There is a mile wide gap between the employees and managers in terms of technical ability and knowledge. This results in either endless meetings, or blind overconfidence. Neither is ideal.

Advice to Management

Find a movie theater to manage, and let them hire technically knowledgeable managers.

7. The Experience

I have been working at Pearson Education Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of intelligent people working here and the benefits are great. The company is experiencing growth.

Cons

Midlevel management is very clickish. Although the company is growing, there is not much room for internal employee growth. We allow evident nepotism which goes unchallenged do to the structure of clicks. Pay increases are very low and there is not much money to be made.

Advice to Management

You have a plethora of human resources that are being overlooked. If you look pass the comfort of your clicks and tap into your internal resources you'll see bigger gains as individual business units and as an organization.

8. Open door policy allows all a chance at employment

Former Employee - Test Scorer
    Former Employee - Test Scorer

I worked at Pearson Education Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The workplace atmosphere is supportive, and supervisors go out of their way to help you succeed.

Cons

It's only a part-time seasonal job, and there isn't much opportunity for full-time advancement.

9. You can not live on this job.

Former Employee - Portfolio Scorer
    Former Employee - Portfolio Scorer

I worked at Pearson Education Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors and the administrative personals are really good and very helpful. The working environment is also good.

Cons

The pay rate is very poor, it is not up to your satisfaction and it does not match with the labor you put.

Advice to Management

Be a little bit generous.

10. Scorer

Current Contractor - Test Scorer
    Current Contractor - Test Scorer

I have been working at Pearson Education Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal work that you can do from home on your own schedule. Customer support is helpful when you need them, and you will need to call them a lot.

Cons

Very low salary for the tedious and very subjective work. All work is done through portals and I found myself getting locked out and having to call numerous times. Also, at the start of the project, I got the email to start on a Monday night at 9 PM and the email said all training had to be done by Tuesday night (12-16 hours of training), which was unrealistic. I emailed to human resources about extending the training, then I got a call saying training was extended until Friday and then I got an email saying that they were sorry that I couldn't do the training in time but thank you for your service. So, who's in charge? I did the training and started working. I got an email reminder to set up my payroll account, tried to do that, got locked out, had to call support, then they told me the payroll service was down until the following week. You get the picture... It's kind of a cluster you-know-what. Not worth the meager wages in my opinion...

Advice to Management

Video classes that teach train you better.

11. Decent consulting work - be careful about your paychecks!

Former Contractor - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Pearson Education Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The projects were interesting and the pay was decent. I worked as a consultant, so it was all contracted work.

Cons

There were complications with getting payment for a significant project. Be sure you track your own records carefully and check over your contracts to make sure all expenses are agreed upon.

Advice to Management

Create consistency with consulting/contracting employees. Everything seemed disjointed and invented on the spot.