Pearson Learning Solutions

3.2
CEO

1. Manager of Instructional Design

I have been working at Pearson Learning Solutions

Pros

salary, flexibility, resources, culture, balance

Cons

internal opportunity, linear approach to management solutions

2. Overall good experience

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions full-time

Pros

Strong product and technology for K12 market

Cons

Customer service department was often unresponsive or slow to respond to customers which caused issues in the field.

3. Unorganized and totally separate business units.

Former Contractor - Q Product Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Contractor - Q Product Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great discounts, and great employees to work with.

Cons

Middle and Upper management is very unorganized and unsure. Policies very depending on the sub-department. Very mismanaged. Bottom box.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who coach, and want to manage. Don't hire based of seniority. Ensure your supervisors are competent and not fraternizing with other employees.

5. Absolute. Chaos.

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home flexibility, company car

Cons

Too many over complicated procedures, incompetent management, poor company culture; reorganization cut so many good people due to need for headcount reduction only

Advice to Management

Listen to the field teams that actually work with the customers and actually act on their feedback. Start caring about customer service again. Train managers. Mentor new employees. Foster good relationships between divisions of the company rather than pit each other against others. Quit spending $1000+ on regional meeting dinners, so you don't have to cut good people.

6. Great for some, not for all

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pearson Learning Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement, really caring and dedicate employees and team members, and helpful training and support.

Cons

Being pigeonholed-one can easily get put into a box and stay in that role/job and not be able to advance. Also the disparities between salaried employees and hourly employees is appalling in terms of remote work opportunities, advancement, and pay.

Advice to Management

Make all your employees salaried, offer them rewards that are valuable to the employee and the company, improve communication across departments.

Negative environment

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions

Pros

Nice colleagues and office location

Cons

Favoritism and competition between departments for resources

Advice to Management

Overhaul the VPs

Very brief stint and what should have been a good opportunity.

Former Contractor - Production Artist in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Production Artist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good, above average. I'm not sure what other pros I'd say beyond that, sadly.

Cons

I was a contractor hired by Pearson with the promise to be there a very long time, it was supposedly an open ended contract (six months, six years, there was never any understanding of the length). It was clear when I started that my supervisor was also a contractor but he acted like a Pearson employee and wasn't very sharing in the information to get your job done with any efficiency. He was a major roadblock, perhaps threatened by others abilities to do what was necessary to get the job done. He was argumentative and like I said a major roadblock. Maybe I'm not cut out for "contractor work" but there's no loyalty for doing your job, no security felt when you've given your best and ZERO feedback when you fall short--you're just let go. After 2.5 months there, with zero feedback on doing a good or bad job, I was let go. I was told some BS story that it was "downsizing" due to lack of work yet one other contractor had been "sick" for three plus weeks and another contractor was getting ready to go on vacation for two weeks. There was tons of work for me to do. Its just their lame excuse with really no feedback, maybe I was too slow, too old, too fat, two inquisitive, maybe I didn't dot an i or cross a t where i needed to be. Sure, I was just a contractor, but I busted my tail for these people & was tossed out like yesterdays' news.

Advice to Management

I just don't get businesses who use contractors, maybe that's more my fault than theirs, when the level of commitment isn't equal to expectation. But, I would ask, how much money are you wasting by not properly training your new hires, putting roadblocks up and letting them "sink or swim"? How much money are you wasting, and wasting your client's money AND time, by having that revolving door of contractor after contractor? I knew when I started, several contractors were recently fired. I asked in the interview, point blank, was I replacing someone or is this an entirely new position. I was lied too, point blank told its a new position where NONE existed before. After the first week of working there, I learned that the entire department was let go. Slowly it began to be crystal clear that my position wasn't anywhere near "open ended" as promised. Its not for a lack of effort on my part, I liked the job, I liked the people (minus the roadblock supervisor) but the "real pearson employer" never gave ME feedback, not one damn time. My contracting company said it was a combination of performance and downsizing, and gave some lame example of something I didn't do correctly---by far nothing warranting a termination. For a company that prides its self the "always learning" company, why the hell couldn't you work with your contractors to teach them what they didn't know? These weren't unfixable or critical issues, minor ones that if I was simply talked too like a human being and not a factor worker, could have corrected. In the 2.5 months I was there NO ONE talked to me about ANYTHING that i did, and that's a problem. Its not my problem, its YOUR methodology of how you run through contractors that's the issue.

9. One of the best Managed companies

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions

Pros

Professionally managed by top qualified and caring individuals who understand what it takes to create a motivated and successful working environment, therefor eliminating the high "turnaround" rate of other companies in their field.

Cons

The unfortunate feeling of the "unknown" associated with contract work, otherwise no other Cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Horrible for contract employees

Former Contractor - Web Content Specialist in Glenview, IL
    Former Contractor - Web Content Specialist in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson Learning Solutions as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice enough.

Cons

Well seeing as they had current employees try to improve their glassdoor score while I was there, that can give you some insight into the company.

Everything was micro-managed to an obscene level & as a contracted worker it was one of the worst experiences I've had. They gave me minimal training on a complex multifaceted database system and when I asked for additional training they refused. I was hired through an agency & even said agency found the experience to be poor.

I also found that due to my age (21 at the time), I was treated drastically different from other full-time employees and often pushed aside. I was referred to as "little" and "our youngin" on more than one occasion.

Advice to Management

Treat your contracted workers with more integrity and training. If you put the effort into them they will do the same.

You've changed...

I have been working at Pearson Learning Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome group of people to work with

Cons

Totally out of touch with it's people

Advice to Management

In addition to adopting the technology and talent of your acquisitions, adopt and spread their good cultures. Keep the personal touches that make the workplace a joy to come to and get rid of the "corporate" elements that make the current culture cold...