Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Saw Better Times before the Re-org

Director (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting field of education, good benefits

ConsManagement too absorbed in their own position, and not enough focus on keeping good people

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish up the re-org and invest in your people

Great Work-Life Balance

ProsFlexible work options, benefits, great people, contributing to education

ConsAt one point in between 2006-2008 Pearson laid off most of their U.S. engineering staff and outsourced the work. That approach seemed to have not worked out for them and you don't see a lot of outsourcing any more. I still have witnessed a lot of layoffs though.

Customer Digital Success Agent

Customer Digital Success Agent (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPearson is a good place with great benefits. The hours are great and never force you to have overtime but you can if you want during peak time. There is some down time as well as times you are completely swamped. In my opinion it's not a hard job by any means. Learn the material then teach professors.

ConsThere isn't much upwards movement in CDS unless you leave the department. The management isn't old and does not seem to be planning to quit any time soon. If I planned on moving up id have to go to a different department or go to a different company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great and on top of things

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Account General Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFantastic benefits. Great people and products.

ConsMarket is changing and resulting reorg can be tough. The future is bright!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path we've set. Have patience. The strategy is sound but needs time.

Excellent company. Very caring of their employees even during challenging transition times. New CIO and clear vision.

Director of IT (Current Employee) Old Tappan, NJ

ProsThey really care about their employees. Challenged with how to address the need to revolutionize the industry and doing a great job attempting to add value to the company and people's lives.

ConsNo different than other companies faced with change. Those in the company that feel entitled get bitter during times of change. Those able to understand the company position embrace the change and try to help company success even when it impacts them.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide openness and clarity as you have this past year. Understand that not everyone will be happy during times of change. Focus on what is right for the consumers of educational products and we will work together to become a better provider.

Sales Rep (Higher Ed)

ProsControl over your own schedule, supportive mgmt team, great mission for the marketplace.

ConsTechnology not quite as good as it could be, after hours culture is a little crazy. Employees are often expected to work evenings and early mornings before standard work hours.

Know when to walk away, Know when to run

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits including severance
    Intelligent, passionate, inspired co-workers
    Working with educators and students toward a common goal

ConsKing Henry VIII once asked a French princess to be his next Queen and she laughed, saying, "I'm too fond of my neck." If you are too fond of your neck, don't join Pearson. Sadly, it is not the company it once was, and industry outlook is grim for at least the next 5 years. Rather than have public lay-offs like Cengage, Pearson's very British tactic to deal with industry contraction is to quietly place those experienced high performing Representatives who remain on PIPs (Performance Improvement Plans). This amounts to blatant age discrimination, but as HR will tell you Pearson has deep pockets. Representatives with long storied careers of high performance, including those who had even been given a watch at an awards ceremony just a few years ago have been let go. It is very telling when one knows of at least 5 Reps who were at Leadership Council last year who have either gone to a competitor or left the industry entirely. Don't be fooled when they tell you you'll get summers off. That hasn't been the case in years!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhatever happened to Scardino's "brave, decent and imaginative"? There is nothing brave, decent or imaginative about putting once loyal, high performing Reps on PIPs, who have been victims of their own success and industry contraction. When will LTSs, DMs, and RMs, etc. be held accountable for performances not what we have been accustomed to, but which are the new normal? Who entrusts someone who failed miserably at 360 as the NSM and expects anything better than the good 'ol boy (this is 2014, not 1880), micromanagement culture of fear that exists today? Is the only tool in your tool box you've got to face this industry contraction excel spreadsheets? Really?! Apparently, numbers are really bad if all we talk about at Sales Meetings is health & wellness instead of the Powerpoints of Bill Barke's time when Pearson was out-performing industry standards. Invest in tech support. Don't delude yourself into thinking that your technology is so good it doesn't need it. Professors and students alike would laugh. The only reason Pearson has done as well as it has, has been because of the same dedicated, customer service oriented reps you let go. Good luck with reaping what you've sown.

Love My Coworkers, Hate The Company

Test Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible, part time hours, great coworkers. Often great customers. Able to make a difference in people's lives with compassion and humor to soothe their nerves and bolster their courage.

ConsNo lunch breaks. No lunch room, microwaves, coffee makers, hot plates, vending allowed. Some centers have proctor desks electronically monitored and recorded.
    Constant change to rules, processes.
    Lots of turnover.
    Previous employee recognition award system in "revamp" mode and essentially defunct.
    Cheap, cheap, cheap raises for the work done..this is a "professional" testing environment but essentially it is retail service and anyone who has worked in that industry knows how taxing it can be. There is little acknowledgement for the sheer effort it can be to smile at a difficult customer calling you every name in the book for asking him to adhere to the client's rules, and if there is no manager working the shift your only option is to call someone about the situation. Additionally raises are across the board so new hires start far at higher wages than tenured, experienced employees. Managers paid slightly above workers and expected to process reports either during infrequent down time at work or at home off the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a week in the testing centers to get an idea of the true dedication all test center employees have.

Pearson Transformation

ProsPearson is undergoing a much-needed transformation to redefine it's vision and markets. It is a bold (and risky) move that impacts all lines of business. This is no small endeavor, and if successful, can position the company towards new lines of profitability, reach, and sustainability.

ConsPearson has decades of legacy systems and legacy thinking to overcome. A change of this magnitude requires strong, swift, and innovative leadership, that must create conditions that enable its employees to do the kinds of experimentation and disruptive innovation necessary to create these new paths. The current leadership is too entrenched in legacy thinking and management style, focused more on strategy rather than culture, and too slow to react.

Advice to Senior ManagementWholesale change of this magnitude is slow, painful, and only as effective as the lowest common denominator. Consider creating an "innovation factory" within, allowing selected talent to be unencumbered by current constraints and develop new ways of working and producing.

Used to be great

ProsLong term employment not out of the question great health dental and eye benefits. Great location good people to work with. employee stock purchase plan lots of vacation time.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for advancement. Low wages, very top heavy with management. Lots of churn with contract labor force dominating labor force. Training is non existent, general bad attitudes from upper level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLot a very fun place to work. sourced from top down.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!