Pearson

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great company but the management can sometimes hold staff back from reaching full potential.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Member of a large global team working for a worthy cause. Good benefits, continued education is encouraged.

Cons

Because it is so large, everything moves very slowly, and it is hard to make any meaningful change. Innovative and creative ideas were shot down because they weren't "tradition".

Allow those with fresh perspectives to voice their opinions.

A great place to learn about and be on the edge of multi-platform digital publishing in education sector

I worked at Pearson

Pros

A fast paced environment with people who care about delivering quality educational materials via digital methods
    A great place to learn about new advances in web and mobile application design and development
    Many talented, analytical, and sharp individuals -- a good place to make lasting professional connections
    Competitive salary

Cons

Too much of a focus on getting the product out by deadline without always getting it right
    Never nearly enough time in the schedule for all pieces of the product to come together
    Communication between functional teams not always efficient or effective
    Some team members work in silos to deliver just their piece of the product and only minimally share and collaborate with other team members, making overall business objectives sometimes impossible to accomplish

Well organized, clear expectations, supportive

Current Employee - Test Administrator
    Current Employee - Test Administrator

I have been working at Pearson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This office has recently undergone a management change (prior to my employment) and by all accounts has accomplished a tremendous positive change in employee and customer satisfaction. Everyone here is supportive and committed to help one another succeed. OTJ training is well presented. The schedule for the month is available around the 15th of the prior month making it easier if you need to adjust or swap time. Pay starts out ok.

Cons

Because the office is only open when tests are scheduled some days the office is closed which limits the hours available to work. Afternoon shifts are often shorter than scheduled because we must close right after the last candidate finishes their exam so if their exam starts at 2pm and allows 6 hours and they finish in less time you don't stay till 8pm you close up. Keeping track of passwords and accessibility of the many onboarding and operating systems is frustrating and not clear; some applications are difficult to access from other locations.

The instructions and options for employee access from remote locations could be made clearer.

Diverse opportunities for growth

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At Pearson there is a tradition of attention to culture, care for customers, quality of life, and lifelong learning. You can grow with Pearson, especially if you are early in your career.

Cons

Every few years there are wide restructurings/reorganizations that take a toll on focus, customers and employees. Often outside people in hot industries or competitors are valued over good people inside the organization.

Efficacy needs to be invested in more completely and infused more intensely into product development or it will only be a slogan and will not be defensible. There needs to be more of a willingness to listen and take guidance from those who recognize how truly difficult such a transformation is.

Great Opportunity!

Former Employee - Freelance Illustrator
    Former Employee - Freelance Illustrator

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working via a contracted art director, I was very pleased to get helpful editorial feedback during the various stages (character studies, rough sketch/storyboard, final art) of the process of art creation.

Cons

No negative feedback, except that the deadline to make the full color artwork from start to finish felt too brief. Two months is not enough time (for my technique/style) to produce high quality work.

Producing high quality artwork takes time -- make deadlines more flexible.

Mass Exodus

Former Employee - User Experience Designer
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment with a cultural understanding of family needs and strong desire for employees to achieve work/life balance. Pay is right where it should be when you're hired but you will quickly be under market value if you stay too long as raises are difficult to get.

Cons

Complete chaos and disorder. The company was reorganizing for the last 10 months when I left and last I had heard they were still reorganizing. This company was designed to fleece the education market with updated "new-edition" books every year and are completely unprepared for the digital age. They are trying to find that golden egg in digital distribution where they can get that yearly income from "new-editions." It's a wreck. And don't get me started on the fiefdoms at this company. I guess it's too be expected at a company this large but I'm still flabbergasted that people can be so little.

Shutter all of your high-ranking management from your golden age of print. They are holding you back trying to find the next cash cow. Promote people from the ranks that actually talk to institutions and teachers and students and have intimate knowledge about the ways education is suffering.

Good place to work and great department manager

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson

Pros

very flexible working schedule,

Cons

Don't have much opportunity to interact with coworkers

Great company

I worked at Pearson

Pros

good benefits, good salary, offer great training

Cons

There no cons at all

Great Managment

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

There has been lots of recent transition

Consider compensating similar to competitors

A Massive Ship Does Not Turn Easily, But Boy Does It Sink Fast

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a college student, it was probably unlikely that I would have found a position that paid as well or was as flexible during my time there. Benefits were pretty good, once you were eligible for them, and obviously, the textbook discount was helpful during college.

Cons

Oh, man. A company this size is tremendous at talking a great game and then not at all having that filter down. Our ranks were populated with people who had been there for, in some cases, decades, and seemed to be impervious to change, improvement, discipline, or being useful, simply because they had become so embedded that they were "too valuable" in the worst way possible. Internal job openings were much more difficult to apply to than they ought to have been. Our training and development systems changed at least 3 times in 5 years, and while there is something to be said for seeking out development, it often seemed as if the only way to get any feedback was through performance requiring disciplinary action. Negativity, backbiting and sniping were de rigueur parts of the workday - more so than any workplace gossip I've encountered with any other employer - and were allowed to fester until upper level management took notice, at times. "Cooperating" departments were often at odds with each other, ably assisted by the aforementioned negative culture, and organizational workflow and communication was dysfunctional at best. Pay raises weren't even commensurate with inflation, and the structure of hours that determined eligibility for benefits was backwards and counter-intuitive. The HR team members I dealt with were frequently ignorant about what seemed like would have been basic knowledge for their department - I often found it more useful to get in touch with certain members of completely-unrelated management to get information or to get things done. The internal website was a joke and frequently more of a hindrance than help - was it supposed to be a social network, an informational site, a site for training and collaboration, or a place to dump all of the above and wonder why it didn't work?

"Always Learning" means actually building upon the lessons learned and sought out. Your legacy products, processes, and personnel are eventually going to cause some big problems when the rotten interior falls apart, no matter how slick the presentation is. Recognize and mentor your talent, rather than letting them grow frustrated and unproductive, and stop rewarding mediocrity.