Pearson Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 69 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 37 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great growth experience while providing online education

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment that allows people to grow and self direct their careers.

Cons

Too many silos with conflicting needs and disjointed planning processes. These lead to last minute dependency resolution.

Create a clarity of purpose and lines of communication. Ownership of business problems shouldn't be duplicated across multiple groups.

Flexible schedule, nice working environment

Current Employee - Psychometrician in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Psychometrician in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule that allows you to work on your own schedule or work form home. You can work full-time and take good care of your family. Managers are very supportive and your concerns are always resolved. Good environment with nice and supportive colleagues. Good insurance packages.

Cons

Can be stressful sometimes because of the working load. Not very supportive for professional growth outside of the routine work.

Generally positive experience, some drawbacks

Current Employee - IT Management in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - IT Management in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Promote-from-within culture is beneficial to employees, opportunities to contribute to industry-leading products and teams.

Cons

Typical large corporate drawbacks: slow to change, some standards often pushed from corporate folks (which can squash innovation), lagging a bit in comparison to some modern standards.

Pearson San Antonio

Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pearson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Totally decent employer, nice people, unbelievable benefits. This is a very energetic company that treats people well and promotes a healthy work environment.

Cons

A little bit disorganized and lots of constant change

More transparency

Pearson: Digital Art

Former Employee - Artist in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Artist in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible with my hours when I started to have medical issues. Great Company.

Cons

Due to the flexibility shown to me, I would not give any cons.

Management was awesome. They encouraged and facilitated my personal and professional growth.

This is the most powerful company in education.

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company behind you. Lots of options for customers. Many fantastic products and tries to be forward-thinking.

Cons

Too much internal "noise". Employees spend many hours a day on internal calls/webinars. Constant re-orgs confuse and demotivate both customers and employees. Growth by acquisition creates huge implementation headaches.

Very positive group of people.

Current Employee - Scoring Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Scoring Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pearson part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The folks who do the scoring and the supervisors are very friendly and professional. They know how to train and adjust when a problem comes up. The work/life balance is superb, even if the job is "seasonal".

Cons

The pay is good, but the work tends to be "feast or famine." The fall season is very bleak!

Figure out a way to make more folks year 'round workers.

Claims moral high-ground on equality, but it's really just about payback.

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you play your cards right, and are of the correct oppressed demographic, you will go far. The struggle to succeed at Pearson was like going to graduate school for an MBA in Hard Knocks while being paid a good salary and benefits. I'll be able to use the bruises and scars from this experience to do even better in future endeavors.

The benefits are the best I've ever had. The salaries are great, also.

Cons

If you're a white male, plan for a long career in mediocre positions with lots of responsibility, no authority, no budget to accomplish the performance goals assigned to you by your manager, and an appalling lack of follow-through on the part of your manager as to said performance goals. The last time I was part of a decent and useful performance review was when I was the manager doing them with my direct reports.

Also, Pearson has a tendency to reorganize itself nearly every year. This habit creates a lot of org chart chaos and keeps anything from truly being settled and operationalized.

I'm 110% fine with men and women competing equally in the workplace. I enjoy working with women, sometimes even more than I enjoy working with men, because I find, in general, I get more intellectual enlightenment from the conversations I have with women. It's healthy to have both male and female perspectives in the room, working out solutions to daunting challenges. Each gender brings strengths to the table that help build a great business.

However...

Equality was supposed to be about...well...equality, not _payback_ or "grievance theater". I was let go after over a decade of trying to work my way up the ladder and being passed up for promotion after promotion. _Every_ time a promotion became available in my hierarchical vicinity, and I expressed an interest in and was quite qualified in obtaining it, it went to a woman. 75-80% of supervisors above me were women. Only about half of them were qualified per the job description (especially the more technical parts) or even knew what they were doing. The other half who were qualified made darn sure any men who began to get "uppity" were put in their place through passive-aggressive tactics, demotion, or firing. In saying this, I don't blame the individuals so much as a persistent negative culture particular to certain levels of management at Pearson that had been fostered by a certain former high-level executive. Everyone feared that person and all decisions made were made in fear of incurring that exec's wrath. Not a good way to build a positive working environment.

Once, after a misunderstanding around project requirements, I was put into a room and literally interrogated by two female supervisors (the only thing missing was the bright light in my face). I was told how badly I had "damaged the reputation" of the department even though I had done nothing wrong. All documented evidence in my favor was rejected out-of-hand and I was not given the opportunity to include my accuser (also a woman) in the debate over what had gone wrong with the project. Her word was taken as gospel truth, without question, and my word was automatically discounted. After an hour of getting nowhere in my own, documented defense, I finally "broke" and I just let them believe whatever they wanted and took the consequence. The effort to defend myself was no longer worth it to me and I was done. It was a very, very toxic environment to work in.

At Pearson, especially in the corporate office levels, there is rampant nepotism and fairly shady insider business dealings. There is also a fair amount of sexual hi-jinx and harassment...and not just instigated by the men. Pearson HR does tend to fire both the man and the woman whenever a claim of sexual harassment is levied by either of them. Not sure what purpose firing both of them serves, but that's not my circus.

HR in particular, and the Diversity and Inclusion folks in general, needs to wake up and spend more time working on true egalitarianism, and stop playing petty identity politics games with peoples' careers.

Solid company going through transition

Current Employee - Vice President, Corporate Function in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Corporate Function in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great values and focus on the learner. Measuring the learner's success using Pearson products and services is key to ensuring meeting customer needs. Pearson understands the world is changing, more digital and customized products need to be available for all learners

Cons

Transitional state right now; people still learning how to work under new model. While there have been efforts to train employees on new ways of working they have not become ingrained in processes yet so many are still feeling a bit lost.

Be patient with good employees, everyone is trying to do the best they can in a new world.

Positive Working Environment

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Positive working environment. Excellent benefits.

Cons

No work from home, even during inclement weather.