Pearson Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed Messages

Current Employee - Editor (Math)  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Editor (Math) in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I love coming to work here every day. I have learned a lot in a relatively short period of time. My immediate managers are super supportive and patient with me and coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The company as a whole really doesn't value its workers. They hire almost exclusively on a Term Of Project basis and created a policy where you have to leave the company after 2 years if no permanent openings exist. They are constantly cutting positions even though there is tons of work to be done, making it more and more difficult for the people that still work here.

Other companies in the industry don't have a time limit for TOP employment. It seems so counterproductive to cut employees loose just as they are starting to hit their stride and understand the industry and the way things work in the company. Then you lose even more time during the hiring process and the training of new editors who come in not knowing what they are doing or how the company works.

Claims moral high-ground on equality, but it's really just about payback.

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you play your cards right, and are of the correct oppressed demographic, you will go far. The struggle to succeed at Pearson was like going to graduate school for an MBA in Hard Knocks while being paid a good salary and benefits. I'll be able to use the bruises and scars from this experience to do even better in future endeavors.

The benefits are the best I've ever had. The salaries are great, also.

Cons

If you're a white male, plan for a long career in mediocre positions with lots of responsibility, no authority, no budget to accomplish the performance goals assigned to you by your manager, and an appalling lack of follow-through on the part of your manager as to said performance goals. The last time I was part of a decent and useful performance review was when I was the manager doing them with my direct reports.

Also, Pearson has a tendency to reorganize itself nearly every year. This habit creates a lot of org chart chaos and keeps anything from truly being settled and operationalized.

I'm 110% fine with men and women competing equally in the workplace. I enjoy working with women, sometimes even more than I enjoy working with men, because I find, in general, I get more intellectual enlightenment from the conversations I have with women. It's healthy to have both male and female perspectives in the room, working out solutions to daunting challenges. Each gender brings strengths to the table that help build a great business.

However...

Equality was supposed to be about...well...equality, not _payback_ or "grievance theater". I was let go after over a decade of trying to work my way up the ladder and being passed up for promotion after promotion. _Every_ time a promotion became available in my hierarchical vicinity, and I expressed an interest in and was quite qualified in obtaining it, it went to a woman. 75-80% of supervisors above me were women. Only about half of them were qualified per the job description (especially the more technical parts) or even knew what they were doing. The other half who were qualified made darn sure any men who began to get "uppity" were put in their place through passive-aggressive tactics, demotion, or firing. In saying this, I don't blame the individuals so much as a persistent negative culture particular to certain levels of management at Pearson that had been fostered by a certain former high-level executive. Everyone feared that person and all decisions made were made in fear of incurring that exec's wrath. Not a good way to build a positive working environment.

Once, after a misunderstanding around project requirements, I was put into a room and literally interrogated by two female supervisors (the only thing missing was the bright light in my face). I was told how badly I had "damaged the reputation" of the department even though I had done nothing wrong. All documented evidence in my favor was rejected out-of-hand and I was not given the opportunity to include my accuser (also a woman) in the debate over what had gone wrong with the project. Her word was taken as gospel truth, without question, and my word was automatically discounted. After an hour of getting nowhere in my own, documented defense, I finally "broke" and I just let them believe whatever they wanted and took the consequence. The effort to defend myself was no longer worth it to me and I was done. It was a very, very toxic environment to work in.

At Pearson, especially in the corporate office levels, there is rampant nepotism and fairly shady insider business dealings. There is also a fair amount of sexual hi-jinx and harassment...and not just instigated by the men. Pearson HR does tend to fire both the man and the woman whenever a claim of sexual harassment is levied by either of them. Not sure what purpose firing both of them serves, but that's not my circus.

HR in particular, and the Diversity and Inclusion folks in general, needs to wake up and spend more time working on true egalitarianism, and stop playing petty identity politics games with peoples' careers.

Pearson Review

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great People with positive energy

Cons

Outdated CRM and duplicate processes

Invest in some newer technology

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working in the math editorial department at Pearson

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I felt that the employees worked well as a team, and were helpful and approachable. I received exceptional training and benefits.

Cons

The job security was challenging. There was alot of re-organization in the company which made it difficult to determine if your job was secure.

In a similar position I had, also at Pearson, I was not contacted by my boss before my position was terminated. I had to find out online and I am still not sure why I was terminated.

Changes

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Some great people. Opportunities for Growth.

Cons

Salary was not competitive with competitors in same industry.

get on campus more. You need to understand how the Sales Rep job is changing.

Soul Crushing Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You like doing exactly what you are told. You have no personality so adopt the ones that the company wants you to have. You like to say "amazing" and "efficacy" although you don't really know what you are talking about. If those attributes are you, welcome aboard. You will love Pearson. Plus, new masters have charming British accents.

Cons

Dying a slow and agonizing death. Murdering its own culture (a culture originally defined as mass quantities of products pushed out the door by legions of under paid people, grew to reasonable quality, now who knows). Their technology products other than MyMathLab in post secondary are almost comically cookie-cutter bland and almost funny if not so sad. Morale began to slip a few years ago and relentlessly collapsed while I was there -- and my friends slogging through report lately still "Not fun." A very, very bad place to be 50+ years of age. Mega-deals such as the Common Core contract they signed in 14 will sustain them for some time, but their fanciful nonsense around efficacy and services they have convinced themselves of are nauseatingly miserable excuses for meaningful business models. Not a good software company, as they prove almost every chance they get.

Seven Eleven is hiring.

Very good place to work.

I worked at Pearson

Pros

HR very helpful.
    Supervisors always willing to help too.

Cons

Requires a lot of focus but definitely do-able.

Keep up the good work!

Great company lots of internal opportunities and lots of smart energetic teams

Current Employee - Software Engineer Director  in  Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Director in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of smart people, some division are working with latest greatest technologies. Most development follow agile and are now jumping into devops model. Pearson is also working on building a big platform, vs just buying company with good technology... Finally, they are working on removing layer of management...

Cons

Big re-org from top down continue, removing some layer of management causing some exec to be very unhappy... We are losing some good people mostly b/c some of those exec leaving are stilling some of us and in other case nobody really enjoy working for an exec that is unhappy...

Please please remove those red tap and allow your leader to have full power on hiring and on authorizing salary adjustments... It's ridiculous that for a company this size we have to go up to L2-3 for backfill approval of worker bee... (Yes in some area we have 10 level... but thanks for working on reducing this...)

Great freelance opportunities

Former Employee - Formatter and Development Editor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Formatter and Development Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

high concern for quality work, variety of projects, good internal support, clear expectations

Cons

tight deadlines with some projects

The Squeeze

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Some divisions have wonderful cultures, others do not. It is such a large company that it really depends on your division. I worked with some absolutely wonderful people and also with (and for) some sadistic ones. The most petty, crazy, evil people I have ever known were managers there, and upper management did nothing about that, in spite of documented complaints.

Cons

The company is too large. Its mission to promote learning gets lost in profit-making. Decision-makers are not educators, yet they design educational products. Pearson acquires companies to make them become each other's customers. We were always caught in a budget squeeze. Although the company promotes a worker-friendly environment by sponsoring picnics and contests, our department did not have time to participate because we were frantically busy, trying to do more with less.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!