Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Salary and work from home opportunities when necessary"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Strong disconnect between upper management and customers/sales force realities"
    in 26 reviews
  • "IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company with great people and benefits.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Sandy, UT

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and people are great. Management was very flexible with personal needs and life balance of employees. Very nice building with good work environment.

ConsCompany sometimes seems to be lacking direction and organization. Communication from management needs to be better. Also their seems to be some real communication and collaboration barriers between different departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve communication and organization.

Good internship

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt paid well as an internship and the hours were flexible. Co-workers were helpful.

ConsLarge company, easy to get lost in bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere may be more management then is necessary.

Education Publisher

Editor (Former Employee)
Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe staff is very friendly.

ConsThere are tight deadline that need to be met.

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInternally, there really is a belief that we create great products to improve education. We truly put the learner at the center of everything we do. They pay fairly, and the benefits are very competitive.

ConsPearson today isn't what it used to be, and it's not what it will be in 2 years. This is a big time of change with the restructuring. Things are uncomfortable and ambiguous. But with the right plan, it will all smooth out. You just have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and believe that things will get better.

Pearson in general

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsThe schedule in this office is very flexible. I work from home twice a week and it's easy to take personal time off when necessary. Also, the people at this company are great. I enjoy coming to work because I like working with these people. In the Brisbane office, we have a lot of perks like exercise classes, game tables, weekly fruit, etc. Great culture!

ConsHave to work with multiple time zones - London, Chennai, Barcelona, Korea... Lots of evening and early morning meetings, which is challenging.

Our company was purchased by Pearson in one of its acquisitions sprees and so far Pearson is ok, but the culture has suffered a bit. We're used to a small Silicon Valley culture over here, which is great, and Pearson has dampened that a bit. Overall, our benefits improved, but there's more bureaucracy and a lot of uncertainty about leadership and reorganization. Pearson is a large company so change is slow.

Proud to be an educational partner.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWe partner with professors to provide market-leading textbooks and technology. I am part of a GREAT team, and we have a lot of fun strategizing, sharing, and celebrating our success together. This position has been a wonderful fit for me. I love what I do!

ConsThere have been some changes in our leadership, so it has been a transitional time.

Disappointed No Job Security

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou get a company car and great insurance!

ConsSales Reps are not safe. They are getting rid of Senior Reps, hiring inexperienced people who will drink their kool-aid, work 90 plus hours a week, don't know enough to think critically about the job or responsibilities, with little potential for bonus. It is frowned upon to take office days, which leaves little time to follow up with instructors. You can not do the job and succeed by knocking on 20 doors a day, driving 3 hours, answering emails and tech questions until wee hours of the night.

There is no job security, if you question them you are put on a "success plan", if you fail to make your numbers one semester don't be surprised if you are put on a plan. They have fired top performers who missed their numbers 1 year out of 8. You used to have down time in the summer and during December, don't be surprised if your vacation is denied. They are firing reps instead of laying them off.

The technology is not cutting edge. It's difficult to use for both the instructor and student. You will not succeed in this job if you can't sell technology year after year. Your bonus will be tied to it, and you will not make any money.

It is so bad, it appears they have asked their managers to write positive review on here!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micromanaging your reps. Accept that the job requires more time on the phone and computer to succeed. Before you fired another top performing rep who has been around for 10 or 20 plus years, consider why they had a bad semester. Could it be your technology isn't meeting the demands of the market place or the poor tech support?

Leadership changes need to settle out

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPearson is generally a great company with amazing potential in the global education space. Benefits are good.

ConsI can't speak for the whole company since it is global and it matters tremendously what business unit you are in. I used to love working here but my experience has gone downhill the past year with the restructuring. The bureaucracy has increased (including a travel policy with no airline preferences, you can't pay for assigned seats on cheap airlines so you scramble at the last minute, and taking late night or connecting flights to save $50). People in my area are leaving like rats from a sinking ship, and it feels like nobody in management cares. I assume things will stabilize over the next two years after the restructuring, but for now it's a tense and frustrating place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people more, they are your greatest asset.

Wonderful coworkers, great learning curve.

Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat vision, great co workers, great benefits, wonderful at gaining new skills.

ConsShare holders and lack of respect for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a little more time to know your people rather than trying to make it up the corp ladder.

OK place to work. Not the best not the worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits except for vacation time were good
Company does cool things and has clear direction
Good communication from leadership

ConsPay rate and vacation time are below average
Middle management in many cases is unqualified for their position
lack of growth opportunities
lack of work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers are promoted into positions because they will be good managers not because they are good at their current position

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 648 reviews posted anonymously by Pearson employees.