Pearson

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
3.1

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The company's mission is something that you can't find in most corporations.

Cons

The work life balance could be better

Good place to work and great department manager

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson

Pros

very flexible working schedule,

Cons

Don't have much opportunity to interact with coworkers

Great company

I worked at Pearson

Pros

good benefits, good salary, offer great training

Cons

There no cons at all

Wrong Direction? Return to core values.

Former Employee - Teacher Trainer
    Former Employee - Teacher Trainer

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was happily employed by Pearson in Italy and the UK from September 1979 until 2014 as a writer and teacher trainer for teachers of English as a Foreign Language [EFL] to adults and school students. I promoted publications and provided after-sales support to customers. I led seminars for teachers in Italy and later Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Central and South America and Western Europe.. I would normally lead 80 -100 seminars each year for groups of 30 to 2,500 teachers. I was well paid and well managed. I was motivated by my commitment to excellence in language teaching. Pearson had a similar commitment and so I was happy to be a 'public face' for Pearson in more than 50 different countries. Pearson organised and funded my travel to spread the good word to teachers.
    From 2006, Pearson sympathetically supported me through a series of serious illnesses which reduced my ability to travel and adapted my work so that more was done through webinars and online websites. I instigated the creation of an EFL Community website for teachers to discuss aspects of methodology and later started a Professional Development website to support in-service teacher development. The joy of working with Pearson came from my contact with so many talented authors and editors who shared my commitment to the EFL teaching profession.
    Good teaching is not 'just a job', it is a mission. In the words of our ex-CEO, Marjorie Scardino, our role was "to do good, profitably."

Cons

In my last few months at Pearson, the commitment to excellence in education seemed to be becoming subsumed by the profit motive. Pearson wanted to acquire 'ownership' of their authors' creative work. Authors' royalty conditions were changed leading to a lot of dissatisfaction. There was also a switch from a belief in human-to-human teaching and learning towards computer-to-human learning. It is true that online learning is increasingly important but the human element cannot be eliminated. Computer software can be a great aid in language practice but computers cannot provide personalised instruction for learners or pastoral support in the learning process.
    I suspect that this change in educational policy is due to the influence of Pearson Tests of English who are promoting a change towards a simplistic 'check-box' approach to learning. This is sometimes described as a "mug and jug" approach in which the learner is an empty mug and the teacher or computer programme holds the jug of learning content and education involves filling the learners' mugs rather than motivating and tending the growth and development of the learners.

Customers, both teachers and learners need products which are effective and promote effective learning. At present, online materials provide valuable controlled practice of new language forms but cannot provide instruction in language forms or skills. If Pearson wishes to continue to be a leading supplier of educational materials, it should invest in research and development of computer-based instructional materials whilst recognising that language issued for human-to-human interaction.

Great company

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

I love the people I work with and the pay is good. I feel valued.

Cons

The company could work on a communication strategy.

Work on internal communication strategy. But Pearson is overall great.

Great Company

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Great benefit and working environment. Great mentor. Nice people. Interesting projects.

Cons

I have nothing to complain about.

Great mission that is shared by majority of the employees

Current Employee - Vice President of Product Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President of Product Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule, freedom to be creative

Cons

in a state of transition with a lot of changes

culture

Excellant

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Great Company to work for, and in general!

Cons

None that I care to list.

Great growth experience while providing online education

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment that allows people to grow and self direct their careers.

Cons

Too many silos with conflicting needs and disjointed planning processes. These lead to last minute dependency resolution.

Create a clarity of purpose and lines of communication. Ownership of business problems shouldn't be duplicated across multiple groups.

Pearson San Antonio

Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pearson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Totally decent employer, nice people, unbelievable benefits. This is a very energetic company that treats people well and promotes a healthy work environment.

Cons

A little bit disorganized and lots of constant change

More transparency