Pearson

Updated March 6, 2015
Updated March 6, 2015
3.1

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovation not welcomed here

I worked at Pearson

Pros

They pay on time? Sad, but true.

Cons

Innovation not welcomed here; lacks opportunities for growth, disorganized

Constant Miscommunication

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great
    WFH policy is excellent
    Summer Fridays
    Mellow environment

Cons

Poorly orchestrated projects.
    Wrong people doing the job.
    Management is living on a cloud thinking their timelines are feasible.
    Cannot get their act together technology-wise.

Previous employer

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, subsidised coffee shop

Cons

Very unprofessional, rude colleagues, very unorganised processes, favouritism amongst staff

Fix the things mentioned above

Worst company I've ever worked for. Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sandy, UT

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance, and even that is getting so it's not very good anymore. There is not another pro to working here.

Cons

Management terrible, communication internally is terrible, the company has no investment in its employees, your a fly on a wall and you'll feel that way no matter how long you work there. People don't work at this company, they are there to collect a paycheck and do the least amount of work possible. Avoid this company at all costs and if you must, look for another job until you find a new one!

Stop promoting those who kiss your butt and promote those who go above and beyond. Actually learn what your employees do every day instead of watching YouTube all day. Think before you act, I've never seen a company make so many decisions on a whim before. Have better metrics to track managers and their work. My manager never worked more then 4 hours a day the entire time I was with the company.

Large Company in a downward spiral, moving too quickly, making bad decisions

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits good not great; less and less each year
    Some great middle managers
    Some flexibility in work hours and working from home

Cons

Changes occurring too often, too quickly and without a defined plan.
    Culture has done a 360 over the last couple years; great to obsolete.
    Losing a lot of good people.
    Most of the new opportunities, roles, jobs were not available for all employees to review or apply to.

Slow down, make better decisions.

REORG is only good if you live in Sri Lanka or Inda - LOOSING US JOBS - ALL KINDS not just Software Dev jobs

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love building products that support education, flexible hours/schedules, very bright, dedicated people.

Cons

Jobs are vanishing from the US. People all around Pearson need to pay attention as the reorg continues, high paying jobs will stay in UK (Empire) and all others off-shored to India or SL. Moral is very low, management is saying that certain areas are 'growing' but are not forthcoming as to 'which' jobs. I am being asked to build things that will be handed off-shore. Sad to see more US jobs leaving the continent while big tax breaks are given to these Corp Giants. Managers are looking out for themselves to hold on to their jobs and "training budgets". If you work for Pearson US in any division, be prepared at all times to find other employment. Some jobs will stay, but many will go away - don't fall for the illusion. If you are in SL or India - many things to come your way. US 'open' positions may just be temporary.

Be more honest and transparent, we can read between the lines - reorgs are difficult. Many of us have been dedicated to the company for many years because we love the products, but we feel that the NEW Leadership is only interested in their bonuses. We can see that some of you (Executive Leadership) are trying to portray a positive face when you come on your glob-trotting tours, however, we can tell that there is a lack of sincerity.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Tappan, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Tappan, NJ

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Very good benefits. This is probably the only thing I miss about Pearson since I left. The work life balance (ability to work from home) is okay, not as good as it used to be.

Cons

Many of the good, hard working people who were there for any length of time were unceremoniously jettisoned over the last year or so. Outsourcing has robbed IT of a lot of future thinking talent, and many who were not replaced by offshore employees willingly left Pearson over the last year. Many who were left behind have become nine-to-fivers, as extra effort is not rewarded (the year end review process is unbelievably demotivating - for years now, upper management will overrule the individual line manager's employee rating so smaller bonuses will be paid out). The frugality doesn't end there - most employees will have difficulty getting funds approved for travel, training, industry conferences, etc. Bonuses used to be very good, but no more. There is an incredible amount of red tape and paperwork involved in getting project work done - good ideas rarely come to fruition (unless it comes from the top down). Creativity and ingenuity are not rewarded. The office culture is more or less nonexistent, which is a shame, because it used to be very strong.

Good place to learn people skills

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Colleagues at my level were wonderful, hard-working, smart people.
    Great place to learn strategies for dealing with difficult people (during my tenure, one of the main clients).

Cons

"Leadership" does not care about any kind of work/life balance--average work week was 70 hrs/wk.
    The customer is always right...ALWAYS right.
    Hard work not recognized and fairly compensated.

Heading down the wrong path

Former Employee - Director, IT
    Former Employee - Director, IT

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good work-life balance.
    Leverage latest technologies as company evolves from print to digital age.

Cons

Latest re-structure effort is a mess.
    Little upper management communicating down the lines, employees left in the dark, and bewildered. Lost too many talented folks on the Tech Ops side. With the lack of guidance coming from upper management, the exodus of talent and their willingness to run business units into the ground, Pearson is heading down a slippery slope.

Stop the re-org's and invest in your home grown talent.
    Listen to the folks that have built the business units that you have acquired.
    The world does not evolve around England!

Too many changes too fast took away the caring, collective community of expertise and support.

Former Employee - Educational Consultant in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Educational Consultant in Remote, OR

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Some very good training in the past years. Some good, expert, caring people used to manage different curriculum teams at Pearson and took time to help out.

Cons

No benefits for part time consultants. The reorganization in the last few years left a depersonalized, unappreciated (they cut our pay) consultant group without an experienced, educational expert leader for different subject areas. Moving of long time sales staff and customer care coordinators left clients frustrated and sometimes receiving books or trainings that were not really tailored for them and even quite late related to training dates.

Bring back educational subject expert teams with curriculum leaders that know how to support consultants. so they feel like part of a caring team rather than isolated competitors. Allow consultants paid time to really consult with sales about products being delivered. Get materials and participant workbooks out EARLY to clients so clients are not surprised about the training they are receiving. Do not make professional development time a time to increase sales. Let the educational specialist deliver a fabulous training without trying to up sale. Respect employee privacy laws: stop allowing all evaluations visible to all people on your employee web page.