Pearson Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 71 reviews)

• Work from home seems pervasive throughout the company (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • It's as if upper management has never been in sales (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

1,092 Employee Reviews

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Project Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time and great benefits

Cons

The company environment changed during my time of employment. When I started there it was a friendly, easy going company; however, when new management took over the atmosphere became very depressed and negative. The open work space that was initiated was meant to encourage more collaborative work days, but I don't think it succeeded in doing that. More of a library feel than a vital, lively workspace. It's also very difficult for advancement, and salaries are not representative of experience and time put in.

2. Closing in Austin

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great work environment and coworkers.

Cons

Closing the door in Austin Operations.

Abusive company

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office is in wonderful location

Cons

They don't pay well, and they don't treat people well. What is shocking is they keep under performers and even trouble makers in their jobs because if they get rid of them, they won't be able to backfill the position. So there seems to be no consequence for anything. This is certainly NOT a metritocracy.

Advice to Management

stop abusing employees and start rewarding them

5. Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Work culture, work hours flexibility

Cons

Not exactly into software field

6. Excellent

Current Employee - Associate Software QA Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Software QA Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Good work culture People are supportive

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. Clinical Technical Software Support

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Great pay with oppurtunity's to advance in the company. Great facility and enviornment to work in with great co-workers

Cons

Not a job that I have a degree for.

Seasonal Scoring with Bonus Opportunity

Former Employee - Scorer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Scorer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pearson (Less than a year)

Pros

Score papers at from home and able to set own schedule; possible bonus offered to high-production or quailty graders.

Cons

Only seasonal. Usually from mid-April to mid-June. Very repetitive and boring work. Online software is often down and there are days without any work

Advice to Management

Extend working schedule to multiple projects per year or allow workers to specialize in a single scoring category

Independent thinkers need not apply

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Field teams and Market Managers are engaged and helpful. They are truly trying to make an impact in their territories and will give good guidance when needed. They few that are left are usually very knowledgable and skilled.

Cons

Inside sales is nothing more than telemarketing at this point. If you like to interrupt teachers and key administrators during their busy day with each product we sell through endless tracked campaigns, then this is the spot for you. How are we solution selling when we throw the entire portfolio at our districts? "Call coaching" should be called "call monitoring" as most managers have very little experience selling themselves, and cannot offer legitimate feedback. If put on the spot my manager sounds so shaky and ill prepared on the phone that even the teachers on the other end regularly question her knowledge. Management tells you to sell with integrity while pushing products that are NOT ready. They force you to pull in deals as quickly as possible with absolutely no value to the customer (this has led to countless errors and confusion). Here's your day: call, call,call, write a call plan for your manager, go to pointless team meeting where you will discuss the new protocol for how we enter things on Salesforce, back to calls, get questioned for providing customer service and attempting to create a relationships, pull together your own marketing collateral even though they hired a "sales enablement manager" to do such tasks, have 1:1 with manager to forecast for the 3rd time in that week. End your day wondering what you accomplished and finish your emails and actual work at home. (No overtime, that's taboo). Colleagues are stressed and their health is suffering. Even the yes men are struggling to keep up. At the end of the day you can't be proud to work for this company. They take advantage of their employees and violate every rule in the book for running a good business. No Support from management, no support following a sale, resources are heavily depleted and on their way out the door. I think schools would be shocked to learn how very few employees are working the entire country and how little the managers care in regards to how their accounts are serviced. The things they say are appalling. Again ensuring how bad it feels to sell products to these unsuspecting schools.

Advice to Management

Stop intimidating and isolating employees. Work on doing something other than tracking and reading reports all day...perhaps help with actual sales? Stop with the manipulated incentives and rewards, this isn't kindergarten and your employees want to be treated with respect.

10. Producer

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great projects, great teams, great work-life balance

Cons

salaries lower than technology jobs

User Experience Manager

Current Employee - User Experience Design Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home benefits are great Trying to implement change in strategy to digital driven environment, which is a tough transition Moved to a more individualized performance plan based on individuals acheivement

Cons

Organization reporting structures change often Going through massive attrition as a result of the restructure Poor corporate communication

Advice to Management

Keep employees more informed of strategic changes within the company. Figure out how to truly bridge the gaps between tech stacks and teams to enable more collaboration and reuse.

Showing 1,092 of 1,179 reviews