Pearson Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
996 reviews filtered by
3.1
John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

1. My time at Pearson Eduction (Demand Production Center)

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Old Tappan, NJ
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Old Tappan, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family feel between the workers in our department. Decent pay for the work that we were doing. Relaxed environment for the most part.

Cons

No advancement opportunities in this department. After 5+ years of employment, I myself only received one pay raise.

Advice to Management

No advice to management since the department I worked for does not exist anymore.

2. Developer

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Good company mission, friendly people

Cons

Too slow to adapt to change, overuse of meaningless business jargon

Advice to Management

Need to change quickly to adapt to changes in the industry

easy work

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

very flexible and good work life balance.

Cons

favoritism and unprofessional. little or no training received. learn on the job

Advice to Management

pay more

A company of inner circles and boys clubs

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

reasonable pay and the general bonus situation was adequate at the time I was working for them

Cons

the worst possible people given people management jobs. The pdr system was hopeless and used against employees.

Advice to Management

promote people rather than get them to re-apply for jobs. They don't appreciate being told you can do the job but we don't want to pay you

6. Scorer

Former Employee - Scorer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Scorer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Full-time seasonal work scoring standardized test. Office was very nice, friendly Supervisors and co-workers everyone very down to earth and just nice which is hard to come by at many companies. No one standing over your shoulder, and no one Micro-Managing you all day, Supervisors trusted you to do your work and were always very helpful and friendly.Pearson also allowed you to score at home which was a great perk, overall great company to work at and decent pay for the position $12.00 hrly Full-Time.

Cons

Seasonal temporary position only lasted a month to three months at most.
    Required to maintain certain scores in order to continue to work and score various tests every time.

Job is stressful but Pearson is a very supportive employer.

Former Employee - Temporary Scorer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Temporary Scorer in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was a temporary scorer. This is a great job if you are trying to get back into the workforce, eg, after staying at home with kids. Pearson knows that employees are their lifeblood and wants to help you be productive and successful.

Cons

The work is stressful. Not a lot of upfront training on the scoring job. Training is self-driven.

Advice to Management

Spend an hour for the major scoring jobs like STAAR writing explaining what you are looking for and it will help people as they are going through their self-paced training. More flexibility in regional scoring hours would be useful.

Incident Manager

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Pearson as a contractor

Pros

Sharp focus on improving service management processes. Strong leadership by example. Opportunity to work with global colleagues using follow the sun support model.

Cons

Reliant on individual heroics instead of high functioning teamwork. Many strategic decisions are made at global level without input from regional operations. Compensation is meager for expected 50+ hour work week.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with the same value that you expect to treat customers. Appreciate that your work force is not robotic. Reconsider work-life balance to attract new talent.

Morale is rapidly declining

Current Employee - Developmental Editor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developmental Editor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- The benefits are good: great health and dental coverage, good pension plan, good work-life balance
    - I've worked with great people across the organization who are eager to help you even when what you them to do is not in their job description.
    - Your work affects teachers and students you have personal connections with, so it is meaningful and rewarding when you produce something that is appreciated.
    - Upper management realized that change was needed in the education market, and they're trying to make the necessary changes to transition from a publisher to a "learning company".

Cons

- The restructuring is taking years. In the meantime, work projects aren't being approved until the restructuring is figured out, which means many people don't have enough to work on, which means there isn't much to sell, so people are let go because profits weren't as good as hoped. Retiring people aren't being replaced. People who quit aren't being replaced. People who go on maternity leave aren't even being temporarily replaced. There is no (or very little) infusion of fresh blood and energy. It's depressing. Walking down the nearly-empty hallways can be spooky - a stark contrast to the past, when the atmosphere was more vibrant (although never an extrovert's paradise!).
    - It is a very conservative company, with upper management in the same positions for 15+ years, and doing the same things for 15+ years.
    - It is hard to grow and get promotions, even with outstanding work. You may get verbal praise/thanks, but eventually you'll want more opportunities, a performance-based raise, a promotion...something! Right now, you get extra work from all the people who are quitting/being let go, but you're not rewarded for doing the extra work.
    - Bad managers are not dealt with at all...the company pretends they don't exist OR acknowledges that they exist, but does nothing to improve the situation. There is one middle manager in particular who is notorious, and she's held the same position for years, while her direct reports continually change because no one can take her verbal abuse for very long. Perhaps managers aren't receiving support/training on how to be good managers? There are too many who feel that micromanagement is the way to go...
    - I've found that my recent projects require less mental engagement than before. This is partly because of where government funding and curriculum cycles are at, but I feel like I'm doing a lot more data entry and file management type of work than content development.
    -The digital platforms that have been developed are ungainly, unfriendly beasts that frequently crash or break. The exact OPPOSITE of what teachers want/will use. It's demoralizing developing content for something that you know the end user will hate....if they use it at all.

Advice to Management

If you want to transition to digital, make sure that the platforms being developed are USER-FRIENDLY. Provide training to your current employees on things like UI, Instructional Design, etc. Sort out this restructuring and start hiring so that people can get excited about the future instead of focusing on who will be let go in the next wave of downsizing!

10. Varied, challenging and ambitious!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is diverse and has lots of sub-divisions covering a wide range of educational, training and learning initiatives and businesses.

Being a global organisation, it has a large workforce and some fantastic employee schemes and benefits in place, as well as useful internal resources to share best practice and seek assistance when needed.

Cons

Being so large, it is difficult to keep up with what is happening in other business areas and how they are performing, what they are up to etc.

Advice to Management

Perhaps to allow more opportunity to explore other areas of the businesses and express interest in other roles or areas.

limited growth

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The timing is flexible, once you have established your credibility.

Cons

Work gets repetitive from year to year
    Very limited time to grow professionally once involved in a project