Pearson Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Was great, will be great again

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for a company that provides products and services to Education market allows me to contribute positively to society as a whole.

Cons

The K-21 market is 5-10 years behind in many business areas.

Once upper management gets the org structure settled in, it will be well on its way to higher profits, higher employee satisfaction and retention, and higher customer satisfaction. There is still a ways to go before the world-wide corporate reorg is settled in.

Pearson Review

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great People with positive energy

Cons

Outdated CRM and duplicate processes

Invest in some newer technology

It was a bumpy road, with some smooth sections

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Gain insight into Education Publishing, but it depends on what part of Pearson you join.
    If you are lucky, you get to work with some (not many) excellent people who are deeply knowledgeable in education.

Cons

Pay scales are not the best. Talent is not recognized and rewarded.
    Climbing up the corporate ladder was easier for people who "kiss-ass".
    Bureaucracy, management heavy organization with less doers and more talkers.

There are a lot of highly talented people in Pearson. If you invest in ideas from such people, you are investing in organically growing the company
    I would employ a 360 degree review policy in the company to weed out the people who are hardly adding any value to the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're a talented sales achiever who wants to earn a lot of money, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are fantastic and the benefits are great. You have the ability to collaborate with lots of departments and grow your skill set.

Cons

Below industry standards for salary and the bonus plan is terrible. When the company's product fail, you find yourself doing more IT support then sales and your work-life balance is...let's just say...unbalanced.

Invest in your talented and experienced sales people by paying them more and giving them tools to succeed. Invest more in your digital product line so it's reliable.

Toxic work environment for young, ambitious, and mission-driven idealists

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible work hours (great for working parents) -- people are pretty chill about when you come in and leave, as long as you get your work done
    - Work from home policy -- a lot of people choose to work from home full-time and many WFH when there's bad weather or personal things they need to deal with at home on a given day
    - Access to a lot of free learning materials (you literally have textbooks from any discipline imaginable available at your fingertips)

Cons

- Overarching culture of getting by on the bare minimum--there is this sense that "good enough" is a great feat, which is immensely frustrating if you are young, ambitious, and are looking for a fast-paced environment
    - For a company that supposedly is in the business of bettering education, the values/drivers of 99% of the people who work here are sales, making money, and beating other dying educational publishers, rather than an actual passion for changing the face of education, given the potential for good that a company with such weight can deliver on
    - Huge distrust through the organization--particularly when you're working with matrixed teams, it's near impossible to get anything done when no team trusts any other team and trust WITHIN teams is nonexistent too. Collaboration = looking twice over your shoulder to make sure no one is out to get you
    - Salary is not great--both when compared with the publishing industry and with the tech/ed-tech industry
    - Huge emphasis on hiring from within Pearson and within the publishing industry--this is a big con if you are an outsider, new to the company because you quickly discover that what is rewarded is not merit and hard work but rather how long you've worked at the company and how long you've been in publishing. This is also immensely frustrating because as the company is transitioning away from print publishing and towards educational services and digital product delivery, they NEED new talent from outside that can offer fresh perspectives
    - The company has been going through a huge head-to-toe restructuring over the last year and a half and that has meant lots of turmoil, lots of change in management, very little consistency, and a steady stream of people leaving the team, the division, and the company

Invest in new talent! Overhaul HR and figure out how best you can attract top talent from outside at every level so that you can have fresh perspectives and actual innovation happening.

The flip side of that is to be careful not to lose out on strong talent internally either--not very much is done in terms of retention, overall benefits are decent but don't exactly scream "we value you, employee," and within 3 months of an external hire joining, I see the marked difference in their attitudes and shut-down expressions of "why did I think I could change anything?"

Last piece of advice: do something about morale. It's about 500 feet underground across the board and you really can't sustain the business, let alone turn the ship around, when everyone is straight up miserable.

Good company. Good people. Good benefits but not great pay.

Former Employee - Project Editor  in  Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Editor in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and attitude. Nice offices. Provide training and mentor programmes. Teamwork is important. You must be a team player. Benefits are good, but pay isn't so great.

Cons

Varied leadership approach. Offices are not easy for everyone to get to. Benefits are good, but pay isn't brilliant - based on being outside London.

Changes

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Some great people. Opportunities for Growth.

Cons

Salary was not competitive with competitors in same industry.

get on campus more. You need to understand how the Sales Rep job is changing.

Wish I had more time there.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice facilities and working environment was great. Good co-workers within a team setup. Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse.

Cons

When your term is done there isn't much love lost and not much assistance when it comes to finding additional positions within the company. Many managers were unaware of what other positions were and what they entailed.

Find a way to keep the people you enjoy working with and feel that you can utilize for new roles, rather than letting the directors send them packing.

Soul Crushing Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You like doing exactly what you are told. You have no personality so adopt the ones that the company wants you to have. You like to say "amazing" and "efficacy" although you don't really know what you are talking about. If those attributes are you, welcome aboard. You will love Pearson. Plus, new masters have charming British accents.

Cons

Dying a slow and agonizing death. Murdering its own culture (a culture originally defined as mass quantities of products pushed out the door by legions of under paid people, grew to reasonable quality, now who knows). Their technology products other than MyMathLab in post secondary are almost comically cookie-cutter bland and almost funny if not so sad. Morale began to slip a few years ago and relentlessly collapsed while I was there -- and my friends slogging through report lately still "Not fun." A very, very bad place to be 50+ years of age. Mega-deals such as the Common Core contract they signed in 14 will sustain them for some time, but their fanciful nonsense around efficacy and services they have convinced themselves of are nauseatingly miserable excuses for meaningful business models. Not a good software company, as they prove almost every chance they get.

Seven Eleven is hiring.

I enjoyed working in the math editorial department at Pearson

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I felt that the employees worked well as a team, and were helpful and approachable. I received exceptional training and benefits.

Cons

The job security was challenging. There was alot of re-organization in the company which made it difficult to determine if your job was secure.

In a similar position I had, also at Pearson, I was not contacted by my boss before my position was terminated. I had to find out online and I am still not sure why I was terminated.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!