Pearson Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 69 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Claims moral high-ground on equality, but it's really just about payback.

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you play your cards right, and are of the correct oppressed demographic, you will go far. The struggle to succeed at Pearson was like going to graduate school for an MBA in Hard Knocks while being paid a good salary and benefits. I'll be able to use the bruises and scars from this experience to do even better in future endeavors.

The benefits are the best I've ever had. The salaries are great, also.

Cons

If you're a white male, plan for a long career in mediocre positions with lots of responsibility, no authority, no budget to accomplish the performance goals assigned to you by your manager, and an appalling lack of follow-through on the part of your manager as to said performance goals. The last time I was part of a decent and useful performance review was when I was the manager doing them with my direct reports.

Also, Pearson has a tendency to reorganize itself nearly every year. This habit creates a lot of org chart chaos and keeps anything from truly being settled and operationalized.

I'm 110% fine with men and women competing equally in the workplace. I enjoy working with women, sometimes even more than I enjoy working with men, because I find, in general, I get more intellectual enlightenment from the conversations I have with women. It's healthy to have both male and female perspectives in the room, working out solutions to daunting challenges. Each gender brings strengths to the table that help build a great business.

However...

Equality was supposed to be about...well...equality, not _payback_ or "grievance theater". I was let go after over a decade of trying to work my way up the ladder and being passed up for promotion after promotion. _Every_ time a promotion became available in my hierarchical vicinity, and I expressed an interest in and was quite qualified in obtaining it, it went to a woman. 75-80% of supervisors above me were women. Only about half of them were qualified per the job description (especially the more technical parts) or even knew what they were doing. The other half who were qualified made darn sure any men who began to get "uppity" were put in their place through passive-aggressive tactics, demotion, or firing. In saying this, I don't blame the individuals so much as a persistent negative culture particular to certain levels of management at Pearson that had been fostered by a certain former high-level executive. Everyone feared that person and all decisions made were made in fear of incurring that exec's wrath. Not a good way to build a positive working environment.

Once, after a misunderstanding around project requirements, I was put into a room and literally interrogated by two female supervisors (the only thing missing was the bright light in my face). I was told how badly I had "damaged the reputation" of the department even though I had done nothing wrong. All documented evidence in my favor was rejected out-of-hand and I was not given the opportunity to include my accuser (also a woman) in the debate over what had gone wrong with the project. Her word was taken as gospel truth, without question, and my word was automatically discounted. After an hour of getting nowhere in my own, documented defense, I finally "broke" and I just let them believe whatever they wanted and took the consequence. The effort to defend myself was no longer worth it to me and I was done. It was a very, very toxic environment to work in.

At Pearson, especially in the corporate office levels, there is rampant nepotism and fairly shady insider business dealings. There is also a fair amount of sexual hi-jinx and harassment...and not just instigated by the men. Pearson HR does tend to fire both the man and the woman whenever a claim of sexual harassment is levied by either of them. Not sure what purpose firing both of them serves, but that's not my circus.

HR in particular, and the Diversity and Inclusion folks in general, needs to wake up and spend more time working on true egalitarianism, and stop playing petty identity politics games with peoples' careers.

Pearson: Digital Art

Former Employee - Artist in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Artist in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible with my hours when I started to have medical issues. Great Company.

Cons

Due to the flexibility shown to me, I would not give any cons.

Management was awesome. They encouraged and facilitated my personal and professional growth.

Very positive group of people.

Current Employee - Scoring Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Scoring Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pearson part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The folks who do the scoring and the supervisors are very friendly and professional. They know how to train and adjust when a problem comes up. The work/life balance is superb, even if the job is "seasonal".

Cons

The pay is good, but the work tends to be "feast or famine." The fall season is very bleak!

Figure out a way to make more folks year 'round workers.

Great place to work until John Fallon took charge.

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Old Tappan, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Old Tappan, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

Outsourced almost all IT work to India, eliminating hundreds of full-time employees; and with that went all accumulated business system knowledge. Management is now more interested in tracking the work not being done rather than concentrating on doing it. Jumped the shark!

Stop taking from Peter to pay Paul.

Great company and products, values performance over treatment of people

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

products, training, coworkers, opportunity for advancement if you are willing to play the game

Cons

allows bullies with personality disorders to continue to advance at the expense of others in the organization

stop ordaining "golden children" based on sales dollar performance and spend time weeding out these cancers that damage your organization in the long run

Trying to figure out what it wants to be when it grows up

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pearson offers great benefits in all areas. In general, its people are competent and professional, and want to do the right thing. Flexible work scheduling allows for working from home occasionally. Lots of opportunities for employee engagement.

Cons

The business is cyclical with period of high stress, long hours, and high risk. Senior managers spend more time managing "up" to promote their own self-interests instead of leading, managing, and developing their team members. Turnover is low, most likely due to great pay and benefits, so there isn't much opportunity for advancement. Implementation of new education strategy has taken a toll on its workforce and the morale of those who remain.

Carefully review the results of the recent employee engagement survey. It's important that you take action on the most frequently mentioned concerns. You need to communicate these concerns to all employees and then document the actions we all need to take to address them.

VP Technology

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work there are good people, skilled and care.
    The mission of educating millions is very noble.

Cons

Politics & bureaucracy. Difficult to get things done. Shifting strategy.

For your company transformation, you have the right "what" (consolidation of some of the similar/redundant products and services). It's the "who" that you've selected to execute and the "how" you're going about it that doesn't resonate well with employees (past or present). You're losing your best talent quickly and more importantly, don't seem to care as there are no signs to try and stop it. But maybe that's ok and is part of your master plan.

A Good Mission run amok

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Very talented and committed individuals at all levels. Good work life balance. Meaningful work.

Cons

Jock culture. Leadership positions are given to mostly white males of a similar religion as long as they golf or the like. Politics still trumps performance despite lip service. Overloaded on marleting from all sides. Silo building rampant.

Hire some diverse men and women from different ethnicities and religions and promote them to leadership, look at the body of their work, not how much they go out drinking or playing golf with good old boys.

old management with new ideas but no vision of the future

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good team members
    flexible work hours

Cons

you have to work with several teams in different time zones who don't report to same people as you report to and no-one wants to work together. The management is more worried about making more money than solving the problem. Though they keep hiring executives from top name companies they don't seem to help improve anything. The management keeps buying new companies and they are literally have no idea how to make them all work together and let them monkey around with whatever they want. The company likes to say they are global but they don't want to address any issue involving the cross team communication. Pay is not really great. Growing in the company is hopeless until you have contacts high up. only good thing is that if you don't perform good you still get to keep the job. The management is clueless where the money is getting spent and keeps doing audits. Nothing gets approved soon but they want results yesterday.Efficacy is another joke people are hired and made as a team just to say if an idea will work or not. Even if they find out through the so called efficacy process the project won't be done in time we are still force to do it.

I would strongly recommend people with high hopes of doing the latest and greatest stay away from pearson in terms of technology and making decision they are 5 yrs behind.

As per promotion all they will say is that they don't have budget or they will scare you saying our jobs will be outsourced to india or china if we ask too much.

most of your time will just be wasted talking with other teams in other time zones and some of those teams won't be flexible to accommodate your timings instead they will just try to walk out in the middle of the meetings stating their 8 hrs of work is done and they no longer can stay.

make sure cross team communication is fixed don't keep ignoring the elephant in the room. match at least the market average for salary. Don't keep saying we need to make more money show the employees what your vision is. All these efficacy and stuff is good if you are professor trying to prove theory in reality it is the nothing other than what the low levels employees raise as an issue just they are presented with pretty graphs and with fancy words. stop wasting money in things like efficacy and first listen to employees. Focus on the latest trends sooner not 5-6 years late

Very good while it last.

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are still employed by the company. Salary, benefits are great. Fair employer.

Cons

Cost cutting decision tend to move towards hiring cheaper foreign services (from India) resulting many local employee lay offs. A bit slow in catching up with latest technology and business practices.

Reduce the management levels and increase the working employees thereby decreasing cost and increasing productivity. Too many heads creates many directions often causing confusion and delays. Too many discussion less work done.