Pearson Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
974 reviews filtered by

An analog company still searching for its identity in a rapidly changing digital world.

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pearson has the standard pros of any big corporation or big college textbook publisher: Salary, benefits (e.g., vacation, VSP, etc.), working remotely 1-2 days a week.

Cons

Pearson's cons are many. It's a top-down, highly regimented management structure. Over complicated rules and procedures are decided by upper management with little or no feedback/input from the employees directly affected. Pearson is also heavy on formal meetings, making it difficult to resolve minor issues quickly or efficiently. Emphasis too much on problems rather than problem solving.

The recent reorganization wasn't particularly well thought out, necessitating a rethink if upper management wants to retain above-average talent.

Beholden to share holders. Low pay, no raises but lots is wasted money due to inefficiency.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, good vacation time if you can ever use it

Cons

Sales force is dispensable, you are just a number to them. Live and die by your sales numbers. Every year you might lose your job because you didn't make your number, with 15 years prior growth

Value your employees and pay the lm fairly

Change is good but there has been too much change at Pearson and too often.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Wonderful colleagues - smart and talented. Benefits are good. Though sporadic throughout departments and divisions, there is the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Diminished roles due to outsourcing. Skills not needed to do jobs any more. Promotions are done secretly - no opportunities for others to apply for the openings. All that really matters are the data reports.

Not the same company it used to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at Pearson (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good health Benefits , vacation/holiday time. Matching 401k. Adjusted hours in the Summer to allow for longer weekends.

Cons

Employees no longer seem to matter. After multiple re-orgs there has been so much work dumped on the remaining employees with very little training and heavy demands. Work life balance has disappeared, basically you should be happy you have a job so do whatever it takes to get it done. Salary and increases are minimum.

Management should invest the time to understand the responsibilities and demands of certain positions before having people, without much knowledge of a job, create policies.

6. Good

Current Employee - Operations Manager/Director Radiology
    Current Employee - Operations Manager/Director Radiology

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Have to read postings to be careful looking at job want.

Cons

Would like to select more than one location.

Keep doing what you are doing but always reinvent yourself each year.

Great people, screwed up organization

Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some amazing, talented, dedicated people, whose talents are frankly wasted here. The flexible schedule and ability to work from home are great. Decent benefits. If you don't mind the possibility of your job being completely turned upside down without warning or explanation, work here!

Cons

Completely disorganized and disjointed management that is totally out of touch with what the workforce needs to get their jobs done. Constant "restructuring" i.e. layoffs of the people who are doing valuable work while the upper management flounders around doing very little. Many of the really great people either leave or are laid off while the dead wood hangs on. Constant bad press makes it hard to be proud of working for this organization.

Be more transparent in your communications to your workforce. Hire leadership who know how to lead, not just talk about "strategies for success". Consider NOT laying off the people who are actually working really hard to make money for you.

8. Decent place to work, they like to hire internally, too!

Current Contractor - Temporary Project Coordinator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Contractor - Temporary Project Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to move up is present

Cons

Lots of long hours sitting.

A great professional learning experience working for Pearson

I worked at Pearson (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pearson has a fascinating and useful array of educational products, from K-12, to higher education, to lifetime learning. In my time at Pearson, my focus was in educational software for helping school-district-state administrators, but Pearson's dramatically-improving internal communication exposed me to many other products that can be used by working professionals like myself, while enrolled in college or university, and to follow my child's education (even if my school or district does not use the company's products).

I was also able to participate in the implementation of products for the rapidly-evolving world of modern digital curriculum and tools, and this was an exciting opportunity.

Cons

Some of Pearson's most prominent products require massive scale and speed, and coordination of many departments to implement. Full cross-communication has improved dramatically in the past few years, yet still has room to improve and become a fully-ingrained component of the culture.

Get it together

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Work/life balance is good, solid benefits, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Where do I start? The company is callous toward its employees and will do anything to save money, including changing performance evaluations to save on bonus payouts. The organization lacks vision, it reorgs every year, the workloads are growing and growing as staff cuts cut deeper and deeper with no compensation. It's such a colossally huge company, it's impossible to make impactful decisions to product. It rewards status quo and discourages innovative thinking by penalizing those who question approved practice.

Get it together. Value your staff for the wealth of knowledge they hold and listen to those in the trenches. Get to know your people. Stop reorganizing for a bit. The atmosphere you've created is manic and nobody knows where they stand, nevermind what they're actual job is. Your people are tired, unhappy, discouraged, and struggling.

CDS Agent

Current Employee - Customer Digital Success Agent in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Digital Success Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people here. workers are very friendly for the most part. If I ever have any questions, they were answered right away and you have your own space witch is nice. They actively encourage people to decorate their space to "personalize" it. flexible hours and the benefits are amazing for all workers. Full heath care is very nice to have for the price we pay.

Cons

The pay here overall is down right insulting. For the amount of work we do here I can't believe how low the pay is. Many of the people at the top make a huge sum of money while the people down below make next to nothing. For a company that grosses over 10 Billion in revenue each year the pay gap here is huge between management and workers. I have worked many different jobs in customer support and this is by far the lowest amount of pay I have ever received in my life. The worst bit is the small amounts of micro-managing. They run on a time clock system and though they say your make a salary rate, you are actually paid by the hour which is completely insane.

I would honestly say that the pay around here needs to come up for the workers in my department. For the amount of time I have worked here I make so little in return despite how good the benefits are. The pay gap needs to come down for this company. many people at the top make such a large amount of money and the middle and lower workers make next to nothing. Little room to move up in the company because many people are young and do not give up their position.