Pearson Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

This is how great companies die

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is still loaded with experienced and talented employees who flourished under the former CEO (Scardino), even if their numbers are dwindling. And the constant layoffs have had a positive impact in that there are now swarms of ex-Pearsonites working at other companies, consulting, and starting up their own companies.

Cons

Let's not kid ourselves--the Pearson play is about standardized testing at the global level, and that includes in Higher Ed as well as K-12/Schools. They also want to become the school itself in many parts of the world. So they are riding the wave of privatization, and following the money. But can they survive the negative press they increasingly generate? And their own incompetence?
    If you really want to work at a company like Pearson, consider McGraw Hill Education or Cengage Learning or Wiley while Pearson works out the kinks (or continues on in what may be a death spiral). Or head for one of the newer companies--2U, Laureate, Blackboard, etc. If you're young and hungry and can crash on your parents' couch, throw your lot in with an Edtech startup--you'll learn tons and should be able to parlay the experience into a bigger job quickly.

How much time do you have? The company is trying to reorg at the same time it's transitioning both to digital AND to services/solutions, all while trying to wean itself from huge dependencies on the US operation so it can go global (ie., ex-US)--this is impossible. MBAs have the ear of the CEO, and it shows--the company is bloated, risk-averse, lethargic and prone to drinking its own Kool-Aid. The platforms are dated and cumbersome (when they work--keep an eye on the press this month and next as schools start their terms to see the reaction when the platforms fail bigger this Fall). They fancy themselves a platform company, but there aren't more than a handful of senior executives who 'get' digital/online. Cronyism is rampant.

It's a hot mess.

Time to bring in a professional manager as CEO to get the job done.

Time to go back to the drawing board and respect the employees as customers

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, Medical/Dental/Vision, 401k company match, Holiday/Paid Time Off.
    Most importantly the legacy employees like myself who have been there for quite some time and understand the business.

Cons

Been with the company for 16+ years and its time that Pearson goes back to the drawing board and respect the employees as customers. We do all the work and do not get credit for it, or a thank you...The work ethic and culture with the changes of upper management over the years, especially the last 2 years, have hindered the morale with this company and made it very hostile. It's time to fix it. Enough is enough with squeezing every penny out of your employees because upper management can't make decisions in a timely manner but expects us to drop everything, work long hours and weekends with compressed schedules to generate product. Hello we are not robots. We are human beings that live and breathe with families at home that need us. Remember that when you go home Upper Management. Another issue is that I've seen is no more respect from upper management. They talk down to you, asked never to ask questions in meetings cause it is not my place too, accused of inaccurate facts when you proved them inaccurate and won't acknowledge they were wrong. I can go on and on. But one in particular is in a department meeting that a General Manager says "if you don't like it then this is not the place for you" in a response to a person asking a question about the ideas to improve the decision making of business cases and plan. I was floored as everyone else was in the room - gasped. Real professionalism in the workplace thrown out of the window at this company - nice leadership skills. Career Opportunities - at my worksite not many and it is frustrating when you want to grow and there are not any opportunities unless you move out of state. We are in the 21st Century aka digital resources and work remotely.

Time to go back to the drawing board and treat your employees as customer. You must change your hostile work ethic and culture for it to get better. I cringe when I go into the office cause you don’t know what you’re going to get hit with next. Here is an idea to fix it; Upper Management has a zero tolerance policy. If they treat any employee disrespectfully verbally or in email they are given a warning and if it happens again to the same employee or another employee then you’re fired. I've been in too many conference calls and meetings where I cannot believe the written/verbal behavior of upper management towards people, swearing, belittling, blaming with inaccurate facts, etc. It's uncalled for and needs to stop. Also, improve on your career opportunities so if a person in the Midwest can do a job that is located in Boston or USR is given a chance. You’re losing talented people because you have brought in the wrong people in management positions.

Not the same

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Generous benefits, vacation, flexible w/work hours

Cons

Reorg is too top heavy and confusing. Not a pleasant place anymore.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place for Project Managers to Start

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, for the area

Cons

Limited opportunities for professional advancement

Learning many new tasks.

Former Employee - Prepress Associate  in  Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Prepress Associate in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Continuous Improvement is the standard. Something is always changing.

Cons

Expected to know new processes after being taught it once, even though you may not have to use the knowledge for 6 to 18 months. Frustrating.

Insist on mentors for first time managers.

Don't Let the Door Hit You

Former Employee - Education Specialist  in  Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Education Specialist in Remote, OR

I worked at Pearson part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are still a few decent, intelligent, caring people at Pearson. They're just few and far between and too scared for their own jobs to call attention to themselves.

Cons

The Re-Org from Hell has gone on too long. Many, many good people left or were fired and in their place you have lots of managers and executives who have no idea what their jobs entail or what products Pearson sells. It would be comical if it weren't so sad. One of the latest uninspiring moves has been to hire education "consultants" from a temp agency to fill the high demand of back-to-school "activation" trainings. With very few exceptions, these temps are more like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's. This is only one aspect of failing customer service that is going to haunt Pearson for years.

If you dare leave Pearson and do the decent thing and give two weeks' notice, you'll likely experience a Don't Let the Door Hit You on Your Way Out moment or six. This will most likely come in the form of being "termed" a week before you say you're leaving, being locked out of your company email AND being locked out of the expense reporting system, all while you're still trying to do your job and represent the company.

Now that Larry Singer is gone, take the pulse of your remaining people. Think about moving some of them back to their comfort zones instead of forcing them into jobs they're not qualified to do. Stop treating people as replaceable widgets and most importantly, straighten out your HR department. When HR (or managers) cut off employees' email before employees can finish their work, customer service suffers. Consequently, Pearson's already damaged reputation suffers.

Great Work-Life Balance

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Flexible work options, benefits, great people, contributing to education

Cons

At one point in between 2006-2008 Pearson laid off most of their U.S. engineering staff and outsourced the work. That approach seemed to have not worked out for them and you don't see a lot of outsourcing any more. I still have witnessed a lot of layoffs though.

Summer intern

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Pearson is a great place to learn as an intern. I really liked that I was assigned a project to complete and didn't have to make copies or get the coffee like other internships.

Cons

It's a very large company

Great company!

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Representative

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very flexible and dynamic company! Great for working moms. Many advancement opportunities. It was great to be able to work from home. The benefits were amazing. Company car, 401K with match, medical, dental, vision. Great salary with great bonus opportunity. If you are a hard worker the sky is the limit.

Cons

The industry is going through a lot of changes which makes it hard in the college division. No one is buying new books right now which makes it hard to make goals and to make bonuses. You also have to work very hard and spend a lot of time traveling to campus and working with professors who sometimes do not want to see you or are hard to find.

Sell directly to students and bypass the bookstore. Professors are telling their students not to buy the books anymore and using publisher resources in class. Bookstores are only getting used books and students are buying online. It is time to market directly to students!

Customer Digital Success Agent

Current Employee - Customer Digital Success Agent  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Digital Success Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pearson is a good place with great benefits. The hours are great and never force you to have overtime but you can if you want during peak time. There is some down time as well as times you are completely swamped. In my opinion it's not a hard job by any means. Learn the material then teach professors.

Cons

There isn't much upwards movement in CDS unless you leave the department. The management isn't old and does not seem to be planning to quit any time soon. If I planned on moving up id have to go to a different department or go to a different company.

Management is great and on top of things

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!