Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe health benefits were good.

ConsWorst place I've ever worked in my entire career. I'm not a fan of social media, but I'm looking forward to companies like this one being put on blast in the coming future. Organizations need to stop treating employees like they are dispensable. Employees are also customers. And the horrible products they provide to schools and students that leave desperate educators and students unable to do their work is despicable. Yet they charge premium prices. If I ever decide to get another degree, my first question will be "Does Pearson run your online platform?" If they say yes, I will educate myself elsewhere. Ridiculous.

Also, the level of disrespect I experienced and watched between departments felt like a daily episode of the housewives of 'take your pick'. Man, I'm glad I left that place behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's the point? They do what they want and watch the place fall part. As long as their six figure checks are direct deposited, it's all good, right?

Mass Chaos

IT Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsIt was good while it lasted.

ConsPearson is going through another corporate reorg, this time however, it's global. The London office has made it clear that they are making all the decisions from here on out unwilling to hear opposing opinions especially when they come from US workers.

I've never seen so many talented engineers run for the hills. Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what other parts of the business have to say, espeically in the states, your most talented engineers are leaving in droves! These are the people you are going to need to stay in business.

It's a company with a clear mission and goal

ProsThey are flexible and understand that you have a life outside of work. Company values are excellent

ConsChallenge would be the pay. However, those that go into education, don't expect to pay 6 figure salaries.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ready to move on!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsLocations, great supervisor and opportunity to be creative and like what I do is what keeps me here.

ConsBenefits are not consistent across all areas of the company. Pay and advancement is limited. We have lost many great, talented people. Not a very professional culture across the board. Needs a lot more structure and best practices. Not a current, modern company.

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsVery flexible schedule, friendly work environment.

ConsPay on the lower end.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust a bit more please.

Mergers

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Old Tappan, NJ

ProsGood company leaders who have managed to merger multiple companies.

ConsThe majority of the employees have been with this company for several years and training wasn't an issue back then as it is now. The company lacks training after hiring and you pretty much have to jump right in and do the best you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training and listen to your employees when in need of training to help make the company a better company.

Lofty ideals, lost in the translation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsColleagues tend to be bright, hardworking, and committed to the company mission. Mutual support is evident, unfortunately it has become more so under the strains of the last 18 months of upheaval.

ConsPearson is going through a rapid transformation that might not have been so painful if they had started a few years ago. ~ 10% of the company has been let go since the new CEO stepped in, with more to come. Revenues are in steep decline. Trust of management has eroded as those in the trenches watch colleagues be let go with seeming no rhyme nor reason, and more work heaped on those who are left.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be too late.... many of those let go or who left in frustration were the heart and soul of the organization, who would have worked their tails off to help turn the organization around. Hope you don't live to regret it and wonder what the former CEO is thinking as she watches from the sidelines. Sad.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome place to work and great culture

Consconstantly changing which can be intimidating to some people

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Great people with a "profits before people" new culture

Editor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat collaboration with smart, creative, hardworking people
    Opportunities for growth
    Pride in work (but now folks are overworked)

ConsNew beancounting culture puts profits before people
    New "Do more with even less" gives unreasonable work to some people
    Less support than before

Pearson Online Learning - Orlando

Search Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFair pay and benefits. Growing industry. Can wear jeans to work.

ConsPearson recently acquired a small startup called Embanet Compass and has taken on the worst of both worlds. On one hand the company is highly bureaucratic and political. Some of the changes come from "on high" and make no sense to the employees on the ground. On the other, it's highly disorganized with a lot of empty positions yet to fill. The original directors on staff also have attitudes because they think they are Orlando's version of internet gurus. Don't let the jeans fool you, this is not a fun and happy place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining should be telling new employees how great you are, how much you hate everyone else, and just being overall condescending. Also, the culture stinks, it's very high stress and reactionary. A quarterly happy-hour doesn't make for happy employees. Finally, if you offer things like telecommuting don't threaten to take it away every time something doesn't go your way.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!