Pearson

www.pearson.com
Employer Engaged

A great place to learn about and be on the edge of multi-platform digital publishing in education sector

I worked at Pearson

Pros

A fast paced environment with people who care about delivering quality educational materials via digital methods
    A great place to learn about new advances in web and mobile application design and development
    Many talented, analytical, and sharp individuals -- a good place to make lasting professional connections
    Competitive salary

Cons

Too much of a focus on getting the product out by deadline without always getting it right
    Never nearly enough time in the schedule for all pieces of the product to come together
    Communication between functional teams not always efficient or effective
    Some team members work in silos to deliver just their piece of the product and only minimally share and collaborate with other team members, making overall business objectives sometimes impossible to accomplish

Well organized, clear expectations, supportive

Current Employee - Test Administrator
    Current Employee - Test Administrator

I have been working at Pearson part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This office has recently undergone a management change (prior to my employment) and by all accounts has accomplished a tremendous positive change in employee and customer satisfaction. Everyone here is supportive and committed to help one another succeed. OTJ training is well presented. The schedule for the month is available around the 15th of the prior month making it easier if you need to adjust or swap time. Pay starts out ok.

Cons

Because the office is only open when tests are scheduled some days the office is closed which limits the hours available to work. Afternoon shifts are often shorter than scheduled because we must close right after the last candidate finishes their exam so if their exam starts at 2pm and allows 6 hours and they finish in less time you don't stay till 8pm you close up. Keeping track of passwords and accessibility of the many onboarding and operating systems is frustrating and not clear; some applications are difficult to access from other locations.

The instructions and options for employee access from remote locations could be made clearer.

Diverse opportunities for growth

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At Pearson there is a tradition of attention to culture, care for customers, quality of life, and lifelong learning. You can grow with Pearson, especially if you are early in your career.

Cons

Every few years there are wide restructurings/reorganizations that take a toll on focus, customers and employees. Often outside people in hot industries or competitors are valued over good people inside the organization.

Efficacy needs to be invested in more completely and infused more intensely into product development or it will only be a slogan and will not be defensible. There needs to be more of a willingness to listen and take guidance from those who recognize how truly difficult such a transformation is.

Mass Exodus

Former Employee - User Experience Designer
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment with a cultural understanding of family needs and strong desire for employees to achieve work/life balance. Pay is right where it should be when you're hired but you will quickly be under market value if you stay too long as raises are difficult to get.

Cons

Complete chaos and disorder. The company was reorganizing for the last 10 months when I left and last I had heard they were still reorganizing. This company was designed to fleece the education market with updated "new-edition" books every year and are completely unprepared for the digital age. They are trying to find that golden egg in digital distribution where they can get that yearly income from "new-editions." It's a wreck. And don't get me started on the fiefdoms at this company. I guess it's too be expected at a company this large but I'm still flabbergasted that people can be so little.

Shutter all of your high-ranking management from your golden age of print. They are holding you back trying to find the next cash cow. Promote people from the ranks that actually talk to institutions and teachers and students and have intimate knowledge about the ways education is suffering.

With huge step backwards away from DevOps all good engineers are leaving

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

smart people, but many have left and the rest are planning to

Cons

No strategic vision that makes sense, constantly changing directions and exec mgmt pushing down technical decisions rather than taking these from the bottom up. Moving away from Agile and DevOps to ITIL and heavy process.

I think it's too far gone, why didn't you wake up sooner

Great community, poor re-organization.

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Great community, interesting work, great benefits, pleasant work environment

Cons

Poor succession plans, destructive re-organization that prompted good employees to leave, lost focus on people

Foster the good employees to help build stronger middle management

Large Company in a downward spiral, moving too quickly, making bad decisions

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits good not great; less and less each year
    Some great middle managers
    Some flexibility in work hours and working from home

Cons

Changes occurring too often, too quickly and without a defined plan.
    Culture has done a 360 over the last couple years; great to obsolete.
    Losing a lot of good people.
    Most of the new opportunities, roles, jobs were not available for all employees to review or apply to.

Slow down, make better decisions.

Worst company I've ever worked for. Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sandy, UT

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance, and even that is getting so it's not very good anymore. There is not another pro to working here.

Cons

Management terrible, communication internally is terrible, the company has no investment in its employees, your a fly on a wall and you'll feel that way no matter how long you work there. People don't work at this company, they are there to collect a paycheck and do the least amount of work possible. Avoid this company at all costs and if you must, look for another job until you find a new one!

Stop promoting those who kiss your butt and promote those who go above and beyond. Actually learn what your employees do every day instead of watching YouTube all day. Think before you act, I've never seen a company make so many decisions on a whim before. Have better metrics to track managers and their work. My manager never worked more then 4 hours a day the entire time I was with the company.

Great Opportunity!

Former Contractor - Freelance Illustrator
    Former Contractor - Freelance Illustrator

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working via a contracted art director, I was very pleased to get helpful editorial feedback during the various stages (character studies, rough sketch/storyboard, final art) of the process of art creation.

Cons

No negative feedback, except that the deadline to make the full color artwork from start to finish felt too brief. Two months is not enough time (for my technique/style) to produce high quality work.

Producing high quality artwork takes time -- make deadlines more flexible.

An okay place to work if you can stand the chaos and short project schedules

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The benefits are good if you are there long enough to be eligible. And that's about it.

Cons

Chaos and poor organization are a way of life at Pearson. Management does a major reorganization every couple of years and yet nothing much seems to change. They promise unicorns and rainbows with each re-org but the only change is work-groups moving around on an org chart and more process that is never fully explained and poorly implemented. We are currently moving towards a major change in product platform and delivery within the next 6 months yet there is no dedicated timeline or process map for what will occur. As an employee there is never a clear picture of what is coming or what your role will be going forward. You only know what you are expected to do now.

It's nice to know the global plans for Pearson but it would be better to know what is coming up on a smaller scale within product groups. Stop off-shoring for cheap labor in the long run the communication barriers and poor skill sets of off-shore workers do not save any money. Hire from within and provide clear career paths for current employees.