Pearson

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company going through transition

Current Employee - Vice President, Corporate Function in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Corporate Function in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great values and focus on the learner. Measuring the learner's success using Pearson products and services is key to ensuring meeting customer needs. Pearson understands the world is changing, more digital and customized products need to be available for all learners

Cons

Transitional state right now; people still learning how to work under new model. While there have been efforts to train employees on new ways of working they have not become ingrained in processes yet so many are still feeling a bit lost.

Be patient with good employees, everyone is trying to do the best they can in a new world.

Good temporary opportunities for the unemployed and retirees

Former Employee - Scorer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Scorer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pearson was a great opportunity for me while I was in the middle of a period of unemployment and really needed a paycheck. Assuming you apply early enough and have a college degree, you will almost certainly be given the opportunity to train for whatever test is being scored. They don't seem to turn anyone away. Getting through the training period and passing the qualifying test is the trick though. The trainers move quickly, but they do really try to help you understand the scoring guidelines so that you can qualify. I had multiple supervisors throughout the several projects I scored, and all of them were professional and helpful. The management expressed gratitude for employees' work. The pay is just OK, but there are sometimes opportunities for overtime.

Cons

The work requires an immense amount of concentration and can be really tedious. Training sometimes moves fast, and qualifying for some projects is more difficult than others. There are few hard and fast tricks when it comes to holistically scoring a writing test. At the end of training; some people just get it, and some just don't. If you're one of those who just doesn't get it, you are pretty much out of luck. However, you'll at least get paid for a few hours or days of training even if you don't qualify.

Pearson, good bad and ugly

Current Employee - Director of Finance North America Services in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Finance North America Services in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance is incredible, and a lot of good people work here.

Cons

Company leadership struggles with vision and lots of turnaover at the top. Recently did a re-org which is causing a lot of good talent to leave our company. We seem to be mostly driven by the sales organizations and we don't make sound financial decisions and strategic direction of company is really wavering. Concern about career progression for those at Director level.

Talk to your managers and directors before making re-org decisions in a vacuum. Understand the implications of the decisions you make and admit when you have made a mistake. Its ok to admit a bad decision, and follow that up with immediate action to remedy the issues you have caused.

Pearson Review

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Great People with positive energy

Cons

Outdated CRM and duplicate processes

Invest in some newer technology

Software Development Intern

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Pearson as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pros included: great laid-back office culture; good work-life balance; many different programs to make the interns feel welcome... All in all, a good place for an entry-level internship.

Cons

Cons included: moderately slow pace of work; inefficient period of setting up computer. We often had to sit around as the systems got back up and running, and it was frustrating not to get to work for hours at a time.

Changes

Current Employee - Sales Representative in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. Some great people. Opportunities for Growth.

Cons

Salary was not competitive with competitors in same industry.

get on campus more. You need to understand how the Sales Rep job is changing.

Great company lots of internal opportunities and lots of smart energetic teams

Current Employee - Software Engineer Director in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Director in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, some division are working with latest greatest technologies. Most development follow agile and are now jumping into devops model. Pearson is also working on building a big platform, vs just buying company with good technology... Finally, they are working on removing layer of management...

Cons

Big re-org from top down continue, removing some layer of management causing some exec to be very unhappy... We are losing some good people mostly b/c some of those exec leaving are stilling some of us and in other case nobody really enjoy working for an exec that is unhappy...

Please please remove those red tap and allow your leader to have full power on hiring and on authorizing salary adjustments... It's ridiculous that for a company this size we have to go up to L2-3 for backfill approval of worker bee... (Yes in some area we have 10 level... but thanks for working on reducing this...)

Great freelance opportunities

Former Employee - Formatter and Development Editor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Formatter and Development Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

high concern for quality work, variety of projects, good internal support, clear expectations

Cons

tight deadlines with some projects

Lots of turn over and too many immature, over emotional women

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the field so I didn't have to put up with foolishness on a day-to-day basis and because of my background my salary was high for the job $75,000, and I made significant bonuses. If you play the right games with the right people you can get promoted.

Cons

Pearson is not interested in what their customers want or what their employees have to say, all they want is for you to smile and do your job and agree with whatever they tell you. If you share a frustration or expose a problem your manager will try to get you to quite by repeatedly throwing you under the bus. I have been contacted by colleagues since I left for advice on how to document problems with managers who lie - all the time - and who to contact at HR about their problem. There are a lot of young women working there who don't have the maturity to manage - they act like middle school girls, seriously, and they never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Product teams are hit or miss - some are supportive and others are a nightmare. You can't get your customer what they need if the product teams don't support you - that was a huge frustration.

Upper management is either unaware of the problems or they believe that the machine that they are will just keep working. This is a conspicuously huge company.

Listen to your reps on the ground. You are not doing that now, the culture is terrible. Stop the turn over. You need to hire and promote mature people and add more men into the mix.

Very good place to work.

I worked at Pearson

Pros

HR very helpful.
    Supervisors always willing to help too.

Cons

Requires a lot of focus but definitely do-able.

Keep up the good work!