Pearson Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Tired, but hopeful

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Undergoing significant change to become a unified "One Pearson", rather than separate and unique acquisitions, syncing people, responsibilities, systems, etc,. Long-over due and exciting future state ahead. Really good benefits. Some really good people.

Cons

Change is painful, lots of turmoil, fear, frustration, job losses, job changes; concerns that some of the changes made are not actually aligning with the goals or the middle managers are not connected enough to be able to help employees see to the other side.

Improve communication through mgmt to all employees, give real context to communication to make it meaningful; focus on the culture to make sure it is aligning with the values.

No job security

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Smart, talented, employees, although there are not many employees left.

Cons

Layoffs are never ending. Most of the products are created and produced out of house, overseas.

Stop all the bean counting. Embrace the digital age. Content rules.

Constant re-structuring, mediocre leaders.

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are good, they do their best to be respectful to their employees - even on exit.

Cons

Many people that have been there forever and not kept current. Lots of bureaucracy, more than I have ever seen at any other company making it impossible to get work done. Duplication of effort runs rampant through the organization.

Time to re-evaluate the current re-org, and take a close look at your senior leadership team - do they have the right skills to lead the company?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very low pay

Former Employee - Editor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

The higher ups clearly do not value non-executive employees. Pay in San Francisco is far below the average. After Pearson, I got hired by a non-profit at the same title and am making a full 50% more than I did at Pearson. The low pay underlines the attitude of the execs: They seem to think their employees have no better options, and will just sit there and take the crummy pay and mismanagement. Turns out I didn't have to!

You can't be a competitive company if you don't offer competitive pay.

Technical Support Analyst experience at PowerSchool

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits (Health, Vision, Dental, 401k, etc. start on your first day of employment) for full time employees.

Bonuses (monetary) are handed out to contributing team members when a major project is successfully completed.

Most of the unit managers are receptive toward employee input with regard to making things (e.g.
    procedures, technical processes) better and/or more efficient. Most are willing to take the time to listen and implement changes if it's beneficial and cost effective.

Pearson's PowerSchool office location in Rancho Cordova, CA is located in a LEED certified building and is
    located in a beautiful business park. Office break room has free unlimited Peet's coffee and sodas, a pool
    table, ping-pong table and big screen TV with game consoles. Really one of the most beautiful offices I've ever worked in.

Work-life balance does indeed exist here and some management either encourage you to take time off or give you little resistance when requesting time off.

Worked with some incredibly smart and talented team members. Most are willing to help you anyway they can.

Cons

Pearson, as a whole is going through some major consolidation on a global scale. Pearson is transforming itself into "THE" global education company. The company as a whole seems to be making an attempt to streamline every business unit from the top down.

Some PowerSchool business units, for instance the sales unit is being re-located to Texas. Other business units are following suit or simply being renamed and given new directors.

Turn-over seems to be relatively high with respect to the customer support unit of PowerSchool. Causes issues when a new version of PowerSchool comes out ever few months as there are few 2nd and 3rd level technical support analysts/engineers with experience to handle major issues. PowerSchool customer satisfaction has been taking a hit when issues are left pending for a long time due to lack of resources.

Quality Assurance, with respect to the development unit has seemingly taken a hit recently. New PowerSchool releases seem to be plagued with issues and has effected the customer base some much that some long time customers are moving over to the competition.

There's a reason why there's free Peet's coffee and sodas. Depending on the unit you work for, you're going to busy, very busy.

Your losing customers due to consistently buggy PowerSchool releases. Get QA back on track and life will be good.

Good pay, but lacking strong company culture

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary was on the higher end for my position, and I received a good amount of vacation time considering the fact that I was a first year employee (15 days vacation I believe it was).

Cons

Very corporate. There was a lot of red tape and political issues to hurdle at times. The office was relatively sterile, and there wasn't much in the way of company culture. My boss also did not have a lot of respect for the employees she managed, and I often questioned her level of expertise.

Become more forward-thinking. Pearson obviously needs to become more of a digital company than a book publisher, but many of the old publishing processes/mindsets are still in place.

Going down hill

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hadley, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hadley, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits and some opportunity for growth within the company

Cons

Lousy supervisors, terrible raises, and hours or work kept getting worse and worse.

Great company; hard to move up.

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible, good work environment, casual, laid-back, opportunity to learn the publishing business.

Cons

Upper level management, incentives not based on individual performance, hard to move up and grow.

Has great potential but good for now

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has good benefits including flextime policy, reasonable paid time offs, summer hours, and casual business dress code. Also, working atmosphere is very friendly. Most managers do not micromanage. Overall, pretty good company to work for.

Cons

Constant restructuring of organization. A lot of talk and promises regarding the goals of the company but still has to show.

Need to speed up the process on where company wants to be but not to forget our true purpose in education along the way.

From #1 to Done! Completely mismanaged company being driven into the ground by Ego-maniacs

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers and mid-level managers are often over-worked but still care about their reports while coping with little or no support staff.

Cons

All downhill since Marjorie Scardino left. John Fallon (CEO) thought he was being a real maverick hiring someone with very little experience in the school space and then had him fire folks with 30 years experience in education and lay off reps who has sold print books in the past--many who were over goal. In one market, a rep with a previous annual 98% market-share (deep South), who set an all time record at Pearson and his state, was let go so some manager from another division could have his job as a rep. He now works for Pearson's largest competitor. Not joking, couldn't make this up. HR's latest foray is to get mid-level managers to have hourly reports file FALSE reviews on this site. You can tell when you read them as they sound like an recruiting brochure with the same pathetic writing style. You have never seen a company that was once #1 fail so miserably at digital learning as Pearson has. If you are in sales, you will sit at your desk doing report after report, training video after training video so some person in marketing or management can justify their position to HR. The implosion is already underway but luckily, I sold my stock early on!

Please stop filing false reviews on this website, it's childish and everyone knows it. Anyone you point to this site to tell them John Fallon has a 58% approval rating will naturally notice the similarities in writing style and check the 1 and 2 star ratings and know the truth about what's happened. Stop over-managing sales into the ground! We do more written planning and writing about selling than we do selling and for what? So you can feel good about knocking down a 6-7 figure income demanding ridiculous reports that no one reads? To all, please think of the movie "Office Space" and "TPS Reports" multiplied by 100! :)

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!