Pearson Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 71 reviews)

• Work from home seems pervasive throughout the company (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • It's as if upper management has never been in sales (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

Doesn't value employees

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best, smartest, most dedicated employees

Cons

Current management does not value experienced employees, or understand how to deal with them on a human level.

Culture and Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very laid back, nice location,

Cons

there's not a lot of social activities, not very good HR support

Advice to Management

Improve HR support.

Big Corporation Thinking Mainly About Profits

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about this company is the people working in the trenches. Everyone is intelligent and goes above and beyond to get the job done. The health benefits are very good.

Cons

The President and upper management care more about profits and shareholders than providing the people actually doing to work the tools/software they need. The old data systems they use do not work together, are constantly breaking down, and almost every time they perform an update, something else goes wrong with at least one system. Most people who have worked there over 10 years have yet to receive a promotion or a raise. Employees are asked to do the work of two people, without monetary compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen to what employees say and provide a potential solution instead of sending out a post saying you hear us, and not give any more information. Consider carefully what and who will be affected before moving the Accounts Payable and 'help desk' to India, where the people are paid even worse and don't care about what kind of job they do. When over 50% of the outside vendors don't get paid for work already done for up to a year, something is atrociously wrong.

Interesting up and down ride. Good education & technology related work.

Current Employee - Senior QA Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits coverage. Work from home policy.

Cons

Salary not up to the mark

6. Was great, will be great again

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for a company that provides products and services to Education market allows me to contribute positively to society as a whole.

Cons

The K-21 market is 5-10 years behind in many business areas.

Advice to Management

Once upper management gets the org structure settled in, it will be well on its way to higher profits, higher employee satisfaction and retention, and higher customer satisfaction. There is still a ways to go before the world-wide corporate reorg is settled in.

Very low pay

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

The higher ups clearly do not value non-executive employees. Pay in San Francisco is far below the average. After Pearson, I got hired by a non-profit at the same title and am making a full 50% more than I did at Pearson. The low pay underlines the attitude of the execs: They seem to think their employees have no better options, and will just sit there and take the crummy pay and mismanagement. Turns out I didn't have to!

Advice to Management

You can't be a competitive company if you don't offer competitive pay.

Overall positive review of company, but some divisions left behind

Former Employee - Editorial Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission overall, to improve the lives of learners worldwide through innovative products; top-level management really does seem to believe that message; good opportunities for advancement if you're self-motivated and dedicated; really smart, great people on staff; salary better than usual in book publishing world

Cons

Although the long-term mission is a good one, I'm pessimistic about whether they'll actually achieve it; the change from a print publishing company to an all-format education company is a tough one, especially with so many things changing in the publishing world. My division is somewhat tangential to Pearson's main enterprises, so it just gathers dust, trying desperately to stay alive, reacting wildly to each new business trend, dragging its increasingly demoralized staff along with it.

Advice to Management

Take account of all divisions in reorgs, make sure everyone is along for the ride.

Promotion based on seniority not merit but if you just want a job it's got good benefits

Former Employee - Production Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media. Fantastic vacation and sick-leave policy (at least in California!). Doing really innovative work in the areas of education efficacy in media and course management.

Cons

Bureaucracy at it's best. Entrenched middle management that are extremely fearful of change. Also, extremely slow moving. It is a huge organization, and very hard to get inefficient or out-dated procedures changed beyond sub-departments. A new workflow rolled out that was only half-baked. Training programs provided by the team in charge of the workflow have been unclear, and across departments and business units everyone has a different idea of what the new roles entail. Editors and Directors of Editorial Development in the Sciences show a seriously deficiency in the understanding of the paradigm shift from textbook publishers (linear, top-down, paper-based, bulk production products) to educational information publishers (non-linear, iterative, multi-format, customized products). No options for career growth. No connection between continuing value provided to the company and salary increases or meaningful rewards or recognition. I used to be really happy at Pearson. But I left because of everything mentioned above that snowballed over years that I was there, I left. And when people have asked me about working there I have said go for it, just know what you're getting into.

Advice to Management

To get, and more importantly maintain, top talent in the Bay Area you have to offer competitive, living wages. Maintaining top talent is tremendously important. You don't want to invest in training and then lose that person to Google, Facebook, or the next edu tech start-up. Which is what has been happening the last 3 years, and will continue to happen. Money's not the whole story. Enough with the top-down messaging. Work to empower your employees. Have clear incentives between quality of work produced and meaningful rewards. Hire managers that are brave enough to hire people that know more than them––and then listen to them. As David Ogilvy said "If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants." Provide quality training. You can't expect your technology uneducated and fearful staff to provide cutting-edge educational products. Don't be afraid to fire people who's bad attitude or poor quality of work are holding a team, company, or department, back. Be brave, imaginative, and decent. Live up to the stated Culture of Pearson.

Must love publishing, and be willing to work for cheap.

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're passionate about publishing, this is a good place to be. However, the pay is very low and the way to move up is to either work longer hours with no extra pay, or to become a sales rep and move. If you have no interest in being a textbook sales rep, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to you. But, if it's more important to you to have a good work-life balance and time off, this is a great place to be! They have summer hours from Memorial day to Labor Day where you can work extra hours in the day Mon-Thurs to have a half day on Friday. There are plenty of days off and for the most part, everyone in the building is a job to work with!

Cons

As I've mentioned before, the pay is below adequate. And there is no clear path for growth or development. On the editorial team there is a clear direction for how to move up. Marketing does not have this.

Advice to Management

Management never thinks about the little people in the company. They're all too worried about how much money they will make. The new policy has been, when someone leaves, to not replace them. With this model, the people who hurt are the lowest men and women on the totem pole. They end up doing multiple jobs for the same amount of pay.

A steady and sharp decline from the onset.

Current Employee - Associate Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's the biggest publishing house in the world, and comes with many standard corporate perks: 401k, paid time off, sick leave, desks and the internet.

Cons

Layoffs, frequent infrastructure changes, lack of upward mobility, poor pay, outdated software, misplaced management, no transparency.

Advice to Management

Create transparency in hiring process, restructure bonuses to reflect the work of individual teams, look at impact of infrastructure changes, take a closer look at HR bullying tactics and sexual harassment within middle management.

Showing 25 of 1,173 reviews