Pearson

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I absolutely love Pearson. You won't get rich, but then, you should already know that if you want to work in publishing.

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Almost all the people are good, smart, caring people. Every manager I've worked for genuinely cares about me and my professional development.
    Also has loads of benefits: 401(k), tuition reimbursement, scholarships for your kids, discounts on phone plans and auto purchases, and more that I can't remember.

Cons

The salary is not ideal for the cost of living in San Francisco and is generally very low for a white-collar, college-educated industry.

THANK YOU for all the great work you do to make Pearson a great place to work.

A strong company that has everything it needs to make great products, but sometimes moves slowly.

Current Employee - Managing Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The company attracts many people who are committed to producing high-quality educational materials and their enthusiasm is contagious. The company also is willing to invest in continually improving products and responding to the market, so you feel like you're working on the "winning team." Also, many managers are supportive of flexible schedules and the company overall has policies to support work-life balance.

Cons

It's an enormous company and as a result there are some systems and processes that actually impede productivity. The culture makes it hard to move quickly and make necessary changes. Management sometimes errs on the side of trying to get consensus or make change democratically, when sometimes we might be better served by a more clear vision and an authoritative and speedy execution of decisions and organizational changes.

Great people, poor pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson

Pros

I loved the people and the business at Pearson. Overall it was a great work experience. Good benefits, including summer hours, and a flexible work schedule. Managers encourage their team to learn and grow. Great for a first job. Lots of hands-on experience and opportunity to contribute at any level of the organization.

Cons

Pay. They pay in publishing is bad, but it is almost unlivable. Unfortunately they operate in major cities and I am not sure how many of the employees get by.

There are also limited career paths for those that do not want to go into sales. If you want to move up, they make it clear that you have to spend a minimum of two years as a textbook sales rep. If sales is not for you, don't expect to get very far.

They lose a lot of talented people looking to make more money and move up with out putting their career on hold to put in a couple of years in sales.

Pay people more. You will recruit and retain better talent.

Tough times, but don't lose the best people in the process of prudent management decisions.

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The company culture is good, the location and virtual nature of the work is very good.

Cons

Compensation is low relative to other companies in the area.

They should evaluate pay based on other companies in the geographic location. In this case, the pay is quite low relative to other companies in the Bay Area. So, people stay because they like the job and culture, but as the pay gap grows, it becomes increasingly hard to justify staying at the company. Of course, that may be impacted by the current economic environment, but a recovery will happen and jobs will open up in the not-to-distant future.

Was great, will be great again

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for a company that provides products and services to Education market allows me to contribute positively to society as a whole.

Cons

The K-21 market is 5-10 years behind in many business areas.

Once upper management gets the org structure settled in, it will be well on its way to higher profits, higher employee satisfaction and retention, and higher customer satisfaction. There is still a ways to go before the world-wide corporate reorg is settled in.

Overall positive review of company, but some divisions left behind

Former Employee - Editorial Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission overall, to improve the lives of learners worldwide through innovative products; top-level management really does seem to believe that message; good opportunities for advancement if you're self-motivated and dedicated; really smart, great people on staff; salary better than usual in book publishing world

Cons

Although the long-term mission is a good one, I'm pessimistic about whether they'll actually achieve it; the change from a print publishing company to an all-format education company is a tough one, especially with so many things changing in the publishing world. My division is somewhat tangential to Pearson's main enterprises, so it just gathers dust, trying desperately to stay alive, reacting wildly to each new business trend, dragging its increasingly demoralized staff along with it.

Take account of all divisions in reorgs, make sure everyone is along for the ride.

The leader in educational publishing, but doesn't seem to be moving fast enough in today's world

Current Employee - Senior Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty lax on vacation
    Great products, especially compared to competition
    If you seek out good mentors, you can find them
    Industry leader

Cons

Too big...decisions take a very long time
    Slow to move from analog to digital, although trying
    No office "perks"
    Low Pay, or perhaps pay division (my direct reports made pennies and I felt horrible about it)
    I was promoted relatively fast, but many in my division went 3-4 years with no promotion

Improve the sales force
    Increase salaries
    don't make it so hard to get promoted
    Hire more women in mgmt roles

Good Company, very stressed industry

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally nice, intelligent people. Decent pay. Generous perks.

Cons

Most people feel completely overwhelmed with too much responsibility.

Watch your DM's.

Could do better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Very nice environment
    Good teamwork
    Like my co workers

Cons

Salary sud be more competitive
    Better communication from higher mgmt
    Open and clear vision for next steps

Have a clear and open vision and better communication.

Very low pay

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

The higher ups clearly do not value non-executive employees. Pay in San Francisco is far below the average. After Pearson, I got hired by a non-profit at the same title and am making a full 50% more than I did at Pearson. The low pay underlines the attitude of the execs: They seem to think their employees have no better options, and will just sit there and take the crummy pay and mismanagement. Turns out I didn't have to!

You can't be a competitive company if you don't offer competitive pay.