Pearson

Pearson Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 1, 2014

John Fallon

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I absolutely love Pearson. You won't get rich, but then, you should already know that if you want to work in publishing.

Assistant Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson

ProsAlmost all the people are good, smart, caring people. Every manager I've worked for genuinely cares about me and my professional development.
Also has loads of benefits: 401(k), tuition reimbursement, scholarships for your kids, discounts on phone plans and auto purchases, and more that I can't remember.

ConsThe salary is not ideal for the cost of living in San Francisco and is generally very low for a white-collar, college-educated industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementTHANK YOU for all the great work you do to make Pearson a great place to work.

A strong company that has everything it needs to make great products, but sometimes moves slowly.

Managing Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson

ProsThe company attracts many people who are committed to producing high-quality educational materials and their enthusiasm is contagious. The company also is willing to invest in continually improving products and responding to the market, so you feel like you're working on the "winning team." Also, many managers are supportive of flexible schedules and the company overall has policies to support work-life balance.

ConsIt's an enormous company and as a result there are some systems and processes that actually impede productivity. The culture makes it hard to move quickly and make necessary changes. Management sometimes errs on the side of trying to get consensus or make change democratically, when sometimes we might be better served by a more clear vision and an authoritative and speedy execution of decisions and organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement sometimes errs on the side of trying to get consensus or make change democratically, when sometimes we might be better served by a more clear vision and an authoritative and speedy execution of decisions and organizational changes.

Great people, poor pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson

ProsI loved the people and the business at Pearson. Overall it was a great work experience. Good benefits, including summer hours, and a flexible work schedule. Managers encourage their team to learn and grow. Great for a first job. Lots of hands-on experience and opportunity to contribute at any level of the organization.

ConsPay. They pay in publishing is bad, but it is almost unlivable. Unfortunately they operate in major cities and I am not sure how many of the employees get by.

There are also limited career paths for those that do not want to go into sales. If you want to move up, they make it clear that you have to spend a minimum of two years as a textbook sales rep. If sales is not for you, don't expect to get very far.

They lose a lot of talented people looking to make more money and move up with out putting their career on hold to put in a couple of years in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more. You will recruit and retain better talent.

Tough times, but don't lose the best people in the process of prudent management decisions.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson

ProsThe company culture is good, the location and virtual nature of the work is very good.

ConsCompensation is low relative to other companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should evaluate pay based on other companies in the geographic location. In this case, the pay is quite low relative to other companies in the Bay Area. So, people stay because they like the job and culture, but as the pay gap grows, it becomes increasingly hard to justify staying at the company. Of course, that may be impacted by the current economic environment, but a recovery will happen and jobs will open up in the not-to-distant future.

The leader in educational publishing, but doesn't seem to be moving fast enough in today's world

Senior Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty lax on vacation
Great products, especially compared to competition
If you seek out good mentors, you can find them
Industry leader

ConsToo big...decisions take a very long time
Slow to move from analog to digital, although trying
No office "perks"
Low Pay, or perhaps pay division (my direct reports made pennies and I felt horrible about it)
I was promoted relatively fast, but many in my division went 3-4 years with no promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the sales force
Increase salaries
don't make it so hard to get promoted
Hire more women in mgmt roles

Good Company, very stressed industry

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGenerally nice, intelligent people. Decent pay. Generous perks.

ConsMost people feel completely overwhelmed with too much responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your DM's.

Could do better

ProsVery nice environment
Good teamwork
Like my co workers

ConsSalary sud be more competitive
Better communication from higher mgmt
Open and clear vision for next steps

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear and open vision and better communication.

Great springboard, but look elsewhere for a real career.

Senior Project Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are fantastic: dedicated, smart, and relatively low drama. You are working in an industry that matters, for a company that cares deeply about quality content.

ConsThe pay is terrible, opportunities for advancement are limited, and the new initiatives they have begun to roll out are harmful to employee growth potential within the company (though an excellent springboard to finding more lucrative employment elsewhere) and are pushing the company in the direction of being more corporate and cookie-cutter process driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, really. Management is running a profitable shop. Employees will leave and find better-paying and more creatively rewarding jobs and management does not care, so everyone is happy.

Print to digital transition at a glacial pace

Project Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson as a contractor

Pros- looks great on a resume
- expertise in many areas of education
- well-respected publisher

Cons- leadership consistently makes uninformed decisions
- SME's are given free reign, outside of their expertise
- upper management has no concept of how technology works
- cross-functional communication is frowned upon

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the people who are doing the work. You will get nowhere without them.

Big company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week.

Publisher's Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBig company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week but watch out your social life may suffer. You have the opportunity to become an editor or marketing manager in a couple of years. Great international opportunity if your with the company 6-10 years.

ConsPay is low. When i have asked for a raise they questioned if I really value my job. I haven't had a raise more than 2K in 5 years. They say it's because of the economy even when my sales have been increasing each year. The workaholic lifestyle is encouraged. I am required to work Monday-Sunday.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have recently laid off a lot of "senior" reps in order to get cheaper younger labor. Sad that such a big company has to stoop so low as to lay off people that have been with the company 15+ years. But i guess all of corporate America is following that trend.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Pearson employees.