Pearson Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 69 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Promotion based on seniority not merit but if you just want a job it's got good benefits

Former Employee - Production Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media. Fantastic vacation and sick-leave policy (at least in California!). Doing really innovative work in the areas of education efficacy in media and course management.

Cons

Bureaucracy at it's best. Entrenched middle management that are extremely fearful of change. Also, extremely slow moving. It is a huge organization, and very hard to get inefficient or out-dated procedures changed beyond sub-departments.

A new workflow rolled out that was only half-baked. Training programs provided by the team in charge of the workflow have been unclear, and across departments and business units everyone has a different idea of what the new roles entail.

Editors and Directors of Editorial Development in the Sciences show a seriously deficiency in the understanding of the paradigm shift from textbook publishers (linear, top-down, paper-based, bulk production products) to educational information publishers (non-linear, iterative, multi-format, customized products).

No options for career growth.

No connection between continuing value provided to the company and salary increases or meaningful rewards or recognition.

I used to be really happy at Pearson. But I left because of everything mentioned above that snowballed over years that I was there, I left. And when people have asked me about working there I have said go for it, just know what you're getting into.

To get, and more importantly maintain, top talent in the Bay Area you have to offer competitive, living wages. Maintaining top talent is tremendously important. You don't want to invest in training and then lose that person to Google, Facebook, or the next edu tech start-up. Which is what has been happening the last 3 years, and will continue to happen.

Money's not the whole story. Enough with the top-down messaging. Work to empower your employees. Have clear incentives between quality of work produced and meaningful rewards. Hire managers that are brave enough to hire people that know more than them––and then listen to them. As David Ogilvy said "If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants."

Provide quality training. You can't expect your technology uneducated and fearful staff to provide cutting-edge educational products.

Don't be afraid to fire people who's bad attitude or poor quality of work are holding a team, company, or department, back.

Be brave, imaginative, and decent. Live up to the stated Culture of Pearson.

A steady and sharp decline from the onset.

Current Employee - Associate Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's the biggest publishing house in the world, and comes with many standard corporate perks: 401k, paid time off, sick leave, desks and the internet.

Cons

Layoffs, frequent infrastructure changes, lack of upward mobility, poor pay, outdated software, misplaced management, no transparency.

Create transparency in hiring process, restructure bonuses to reflect the work of individual teams, look at impact of infrastructure changes, take a closer look at HR bullying tactics and sexual harassment within middle management.

Mind numbing tedium

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Only plus is working at home

Cons

Terribly disorganized
    forced to create graphics at a breakneck pace
    Any semblance of quality or value in the art work is brutally discouraged as it raises the bar for the brand and costs them money so you are held to a very low denominator of creating poor quality clip art for the K-12 material.
    It is a hectic rush with numerous and varied lead artist giving you conflicting direction and harried producers pushing you to work longer hours.

Consider becoming a provider of QUALITY educational resources not the low grade cheap material that is the driving style now.

Live to Work - No life outside of work kind of company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

College Grads are ideal only. If you have just graduated and enjoy a college campus lifestyle then this is your dream job.

Cons

Sales reps are virtual goats! If you have a family don't work at Pearson. I have never in my life seen such a lack of respect for employees who have families. This job is meant for trolls and "Yes Men" only. No matter how intelligent you are and the value you bring you are to be seen and not heard period. The amount of data entry and book ordering for teachers is enough to make anyone go nuts. The technology and systems used at Pearson are archaic at best. The leadership is based on popularity and not on skill or experience. Leadership is weak and even so, it seems they promote upper management just so they can say they are doing something. Don't waste your time with this joke of a company. Only "Yes Men" need apply!

Get a clue. Listen like you ask your employees to do and try to see the value in a work and life atmosphere that you preach but don't endorse. Get a reality check, by hearing your sales staff's needs and address the frustrations and don't brush them off. Right now there are thousands of unhappy sales folks working at Pearson. The only sales staff that are happy are young and conformed to the Pearson Culture, AKA GOAT Mentality!

Abusive Untrained Managers Run Wild Running Educational Sweatshop!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson

Pros

The working conditions are very nice. There are ample offices and the working environment is peaceful. My collegues were extremely passionate about their work. The best part was the 7 hour working days and in the summer they give 1/2 day summer Fridays (although some bosses won't let you take them eventhough it is company policy).

Cons

Management has absolutely no training or professional experience in managing and supervising. They are allowed to treat their employees with abhorrent behavior. There is so much backstabbing and stupid office politics amoungst teams that it is hard to get your work done. The mental and verbal abuse is unethical, immoral and illegal. The workload's are ridiculous they say you only work 7 hours, but they guilt you into working 10 hours a day and many weekends. Department's lack plans for career advancement and professional growth- so you will get to a certain level and that is as far as you go. The pay is EXTREMELY low- especially for the fact that there is little to no career advancement opportunities, overload of work and the unending abuse you take on a daily basis- if your not getting yelled at or mistreated, your work load is so overbearing you want to jump off a bridge! Also, they do not give you the tools necessary succeed in your job- you are set-up for failure as soon as you walk in the door.

GET SOME TRAINING! Learn how to be an effective manager and learn how to arm your employees for success!

Very low pay

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

The higher ups clearly do not value non-executive employees. Pay in San Francisco is far below the average. After Pearson, I got hired by a non-profit at the same title and am making a full 50% more than I did at Pearson. The low pay underlines the attitude of the execs: They seem to think their employees have no better options, and will just sit there and take the crummy pay and mismanagement. Turns out I didn't have to!

You can't be a competitive company if you don't offer competitive pay.

Must love publishing, and be willing to work for cheap.

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're passionate about publishing, this is a good place to be. However, the pay is very low and the way to move up is to either work longer hours with no extra pay, or to become a sales rep and move. If you have no interest in being a textbook sales rep, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to you. But, if it's more important to you to have a good work-life balance and time off, this is a great place to be! They have summer hours from Memorial day to Labor Day where you can work extra hours in the day Mon-Thurs to have a half day on Friday. There are plenty of days off and for the most part, everyone in the building is a job to work with!

Cons

As I've mentioned before, the pay is below adequate. And there is no clear path for growth or development. On the editorial team there is a clear direction for how to move up. Marketing does not have this.

Management never thinks about the little people in the company. They're all too worried about how much money they will make. The new policy has been, when someone leaves, to not replace them. With this model, the people who hurt are the lowest men and women on the totem pole. They end up doing multiple jobs for the same amount of pay.

Great springboard, but look elsewhere for a real career.

Former Employee - Senior Project Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic: dedicated, smart, and relatively low drama. You are working in an industry that matters, for a company that cares deeply about quality content.

Cons

The pay is terrible, opportunities for advancement are limited, and the new initiatives they have begun to roll out are harmful to employee growth potential within the company (though an excellent springboard to finding more lucrative employment elsewhere) and are pushing the company in the direction of being more corporate and cookie-cutter process driven.

None, really. Management is running a profitable shop. Employees will leave and find better-paying and more creatively rewarding jobs and management does not care, so everyone is happy.

Print to digital transition at a glacial pace

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson as a contractor

Pros

- looks great on a resume
    - expertise in many areas of education
    - well-respected publisher

Cons

- leadership consistently makes uninformed decisions
    - SME's are given free reign, outside of their expertise
    - upper management has no concept of how technology works
    - cross-functional communication is frowned upon

Empower the people who are doing the work. You will get nowhere without them.

Big company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week.

Current Employee - Publisher's Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Publisher's Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of potential opportunity if you work 60-90 hours of week but watch out your social life may suffer. You have the opportunity to become an editor or marketing manager in a couple of years. Great international opportunity if your with the company 6-10 years.

Cons

Pay is low. When i have asked for a raise they questioned if I really value my job. I haven't had a raise more than 2K in 5 years. They say it's because of the economy even when my sales have been increasing each year. The workaholic lifestyle is encouraged. I am required to work Monday-Sunday.

They have recently laid off a lot of "senior" reps in order to get cheaper younger labor. Sad that such a big company has to stoop so low as to lay off people that have been with the company 15+ years. But i guess all of corporate America is following that trend.