Pediatric Services of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim McCurry

Teamwork

ProsCurrent director is awesome - she takes the time to be involved with the employees and knows the challenges of providing care for the patients on census. Office co-workers are fabulous, always helpful with answering questions and lending a hand when needed. Teaching/education is a priority as they encourage all employees to be aware of the latest technology changes.

ConsThe hours for Clinical Care Managers can be long and sometimes require 6-7 days/week (but, again, management is supportive of comp days). Electronic documentation is "iffy" at best - the computers do not always function to allow timely documentation and if you leave the home with a patient you must change to paper charting. It can be difficult to be with only one client because schedules changes due to school, changes in level of care, hospitalizations, etc. but I know the schedulers do try to keep us on the same case.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the electronic documentation problems!!

Hard work goes unappreciated by management

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsThe clients/families are the reason why I enjoy working here. The schedules are flexible, you can work as little or as many hours as you desire (if the work is available).

ConsThe majority of the office staff are UNPROFESSIONAL and RUDE. They seem to only want a warm body to fill open shifts. They have their "favorites" whom they give the most hours to. They DO NOT offer raises but critque you as if they do. They'll bribe employees with gift cards to work on "hard to staff" cases.

Great place to work...until

Biller/Collector (Former Employee)
    Norcross, GA

ProsGreat atmosphere and physical working conditions.

ConsAs with most positions, it's not the place...it's the person (manager) that ruins everything!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe newly promoted managers need to have training on how to be a supervisor. Demeaning, micro-managing, and belittleing tactics should not be allowed, or at least owned up to when confronted about it. PSA is fantastic about in-house training for its employees but fails to see the need for new manager orientation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive Clinical care Managers

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)
    Allentown, PA

ProsAmazing team work and support from supervisors

Consexpensive health benefits and not guarantee of steady hours

Love the patients but......

RN Field Nurse Private Duty (Current Employee)
    Piedmont, SC

ProsFlexible hours.
    Love the children!

ConsCompensation is awful. Consistently hear it is limited by what medicaid reimburses however other agencies in town working under the same Medicaid contracts offer better compensation. Very limited benefits and pricing of the benefits offered is not in line with compensation offered to clinical staff so benefits are not affordable. Organizational structure at the local office level makes no sense. Basically you have non clinical clerical staff trying to manage clinical staff. No Clinical Manager in place to oversee field staff or clinical care managers. In essence field staff may have several "bosses" dependent upon how many cases they are working on. Policies are not well written or monitored effectively. Orientation is pretty much non existent . the image of the company as a whole in the lay and professional comunity is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to reorganize at the local office level and provide more transparency. Pay is abominable for RN's. Staff is continually turning over because the pay is poor, orientation and training are not effective. You must be willing to make some fundamental changes at the local level which includes spending some money on improvements if this company is to continue to be viable in this market. Hire a consulting firm!

Use this job as a stepping stone and continue to grow in other areas.

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThey Will hire new grads

ConsCases can be far from your home, no pay raises, no shift differentials for nights or weekends.

Pay so low it's a slap in the face to nurses

ProsFlexibility
    Can choose your patients
    Being able to provide one on one care is great

ConsEXCEPTIONALLY LOW PAY
    RN's and LPN's MAKE THE SAME!!!
    Very poor communication between office and staff nurses, CCM's and staff nurses (and sometimes NO communication at all)
    Very inadequately staffed cases
    Many lazy and undependable nurses hired, so the ones who are good and dependable end up burnt out picking up slack
    No raises
    No benefits
    No shift differentials
    Office staff isn't always honest with their nurses

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your nurses better, then you can attract and keep better nurses!
    Be honest with your nurses and the families
    Professionalism in your office staff is a MUST
    Better training
    Better staffing - nurses are people not robots, we need to take care of ourselves as well...HELLO!

My review re: being employed by Pediatric Services of America

PDN, RN (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFlexible schedule, liked being able to choose my patients (related to distance and / or illnesses), nice office staff and fair clinical coordinators.

ConsLow hourly pay, almost non-existent pay raises/increases, and expensive very limited health insurance

Advice to Senior Managementre: training on a new patient with vent. Being a hospital nurse I had a fear of working alone. I would rather have had a full shift to shadow the scheduled nurse then I work but have my clinical coordinator with me for the shift.

A decent way to earn money if you're not needing benefits or dependable hours and schedules.

ProsPersonalized care of children and support of their caregivers, and the opportunity to make a positive impact upon the child and the household.

ConsIntense emotional environment requiring high sensitivity, rightfully so, to "the way they do things in this home", and the moods of mentally and physically exhausted caregivers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great job, lousy pay

Staff RN (Current Employee)
    Piedmont, SC

ProsI love working one on one with the pediatric patient and their families. You have the time needed to give great compassionate care! Office staff and supervisors are very good with both employees and clients. There is a lot of flexability with staffing. I never received grief for requesting a day off. You have the ability to work as much or as little as you like. You can decide whether a patient and their family are a good "fit" for you, and easily be reassigned if needed. The training was very good. Weekly pay. If money is not very important, then this is a great job!

ConsNo benefits for full time staff nurses in the home along with the lowest pay I ever encountered in the nursing profession. Most employers will trade benefits for a higher pay, but here you get neither pay nor benefits. The low pay is the price to be paid for flexible staffing. The pediatric clients are medically fragile, therefore are often hospitalized. When they are admitted to the hospital, the staffing coordinator will try to assign the nurse to a different case, however often you are out of luck. No work=no pay until the client returns home. This can be a disaster to your budget if you need a predictable paycheck! The health benefit offered to home care staff is not health insurance. You can work full time for 10 years and you will not get paid for one sick or vacation day. Make sure you have your eyes open to what you are agreeing to receive for professional services given.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay full time nurses in the home more to keep good nurses.

Worked for Pediatric Services of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pediatric Services of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pediatric Services of America CEO Jim McCurry. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Pediatric Services of America employees.