Peebles

Michael Glazer

It has been fair.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Ogdensburg, NY
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Ogdensburg, NY

I have been working at Peebles part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are helpful and kind.

Cons

pay, on your feet the whole 8 hours in dress shoes.

Great retail job.

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Browns Mills, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Browns Mills, NJ

I worked at Peebles part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is very competent and understanding.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility and incentives to work harder as a retail associate.

Create incentives for employees to work harder.

Over work under paid

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Peebles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% discount and many incentives as well as potential to move up in ranks

Cons

Managment!!! They don't car about the associates in store they just want numbers!!

Stop having unrealistic plans for the stores as well as stop vendors and marketing team from sending to much merchandise and printing false information

Was great before Stage Stores took over

I have been working at Peebles

Pros

Working with customers
    Feeling like as a Store Manager I had ownership of my store and a great staff

Cons

Corporate is very disorganized.
    Selling a 3 month free magazine at the point of sale is not a good business model. Also writing Associates up for not making quota is not a good team moral additude.

Stop the magazine program. Our customer don't for the most part want it.

Never ever waste your time working for this company.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Peebles part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the employee discount. I was part-time so I didn't have any benefits.

Cons

1) Lazy manager
    2) Our manager would never put out the schedule in time. When she would, it would only be in the break room temporarily then would disappear and reappear with changes.
    3) The MAGAZINES. I have never heard any associate who didn't have a problem with them. We have to basically deceive/force customers to sign up for magazines for a coupon that doesn't always come. And I had to lie and tell people that they were easy to cancel, when they definitely were not.
    4) The credit cards. I worked for a retail store, not a credit card agency. We were supposed to get people to sign up for a Peebles card and no matter how many we got or did not get, there was no reward. It is a stressful and annoying waste of time.
    5) The sales are great if you're a customer but obnoxious if you work there. We had to change signs and rearrange things almost every three days.

Go into a store. Look at how unhappy everyone working there really is. Then do something about it.

Terrible Management and District Management

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Norwich, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Norwich, NY

I have been working at Peebles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very pleasant here.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, continual harassment from poorly-trained (or not trained at all) store manager. Complaints go unheard and pooh-poohed, even the harassment and bullying by the SM is ignored by higher-ups. Retaliation is common. Work on every holiday.

Train new managers better on how to treat people with respect. Pay managers more so that you can get some decent ones.

Horrible! Don't waste your time. Worked almost 8 years and got worse and worse every year. I didn't even want to rate this 1 star because I feel it deserves less.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Peebles full-time

Pros

Employee discount is basically the only good thing about this place.

Cons

-The DM I worked for was horrible, she talked down to all associates. Called the store so many times a day to the point of harassment.
    -Constant payroll cuts, they want you to run a perfect, clean store, make all goals, get all freight out in 24 hours with minimal employees.
    -If your a store manager you work on salary. You will put In tons of overtime and not get paid or appreciated.
    - As a female store manger I was expected to move heavy fixtures, ladders, and freight that I don't even think most men could move. I can't count the times I pulled my back out.
    -No janitors, managers and employees are in charge of cleaning everything, dusting, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, toilets.
    -DM told us to scrub floors with tennis balls to get the scuffs out.
    -The expectations of this company with the actual man power and hours they allow you to use are unrealistic.
    -As a store manager, good luck actually having time to manage a store between all the other "hats" you wear.
    -It doesn't matter to this company if you are a hard worker. Work as hard as you want if you can't open new accounts or sell magazines you are basically worthless. Lazy employees get rewarded, while physical hard working employees are looked down on and harassed by upper management if you can't make your new account and magazine goals.
    -Always were told to only focus on opening charges and selling magazines. Company must think freight and cleaning magically get done, but if upper management comes to visit and there is a shirt out of place you are belittled.
    -I felt like the way they wanted us to push chArges and magazines were very deceptive and misleading to customers.
    -Very low pay for all the expectations.
    -Each year got worse and worse.. Company is on a downward spiral, and should start treating employees better and paying better.

Come to a store for one day and try to keep up with the demands you expect from us, and try to appreciate hard working, honest employees. After all we are the ones running the show.

Exhausting and disappointed

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Peebles full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Over all benifits: discount, health,vision,
    Only thing this company has going for it right now

Cons

I love what i do, but this company is a train wreck on a fast derailment!.... upper corp has becone nothing but corporate bullies, threatening to fire people for not meeting " controlables" i can understand accounts,but magazines???? I understand the benefits of the magazines but customers dont want them.

You sit in an office all day bullying us "little peope" if it wasnt fir us putting in the long hours and putting up with all your bs with no payroll, floor changes daily, "cro", happy customers, meeting numbers, while you make all the money and pay us dirt, feel like we work in a sweat shop over seas. Start listening to the people who make your paychecks becsuse without us this company will fold fast!!! Your loosing hard workers and wonderful customers all becyse of magazines. Loose the magazines and bring back customer service like it should be

Cheap, cheap company

I worked at Peebles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount not that theres a great selection tho

Cons

Abusive, egotistical, insecure dm only wants victims to work for him

Get rid of him

I wish I could rate less than one star.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Peebles part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is about it. You get 20% off and can also use coupons.

Cons

They pressure you to get magazines and sign people up with credit cards. And no matter how many you get, you're never rewarded in any way. Also, the customers are generally pretty rude.

This might just be at our store, but our manager is NEVER there. Not an exaggeration. She's there maybe one day a week. Max.

Stop forcing the magazines.