Peer 1 Hosting

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

4.1

Tony Ciciretto

Pros
  • Great people, exciting business with growth continuing at pace (in 6 reviews)

• Great environment to work in, so you enjoy coming to work; (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They experience the same growing pains and learning that any global company does (in 8 reviews)

• but it is something that talking and integrating the right people is solved (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Peer 1 Hosting full-time

Pros

Treat you like an adult, you have a voice, always trying to get better, cares about the people, flexible work environment for performers

Cons

No processes, top management does not have management education - so simple known working strategies are not found here, some of the good 'ol boy stuff so you have to prepared to schmooze

Things are getting better, they need a COO

Decent place to work.

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun and casual culture. Get to work with the latest technology and learn every day. My co-workers are great for the most part. I am allowed to do my job the best way I see fit and get no push back as long as it is done well.

Cons

Some growing pains. Need to tighten our policies and procedures. It is sometimes difficult working with people in so many different time zones and countries.

Work on policies, project management, and training. Build a better foundation so we can grow and not experience some of the growing pains we have in the past.

UK team thinks they run the company

Current Employee - Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool place to work and each office has their own version of fun.

Cons

UK office has managers that get off on their title and don't know how to leaf a team out of a tea bag.

With most of the senior leadership gone hopefully you can hire the right one to lead the company to new heights

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing, Exciting, Human and Fun

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you enjoy social interaction in a fun a creative work space this is your place. More than it being a growing company with tons of potiential and opportunity it is a place where people enjoy spending time together outside of work. Tons of social activities make this good company a GREAT place to work.

Things I enjoy? the fun approachable people that work here.

Cons

We are growing so change in inevitable. If you like a place that is standing still and on "maintain" phase this is not the ideal landing spot.

Please do not let the culture change as so many growing companies eventually do..

The most people centric employer ever

Current Employee - Product Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company cares about their staff more than any other company I have heard of or worked for
    There is no time clock
    People are encouraged to step beyond their abilities, departments, roles to bring new ideas and provide input
    Our culture is completely opposite of our competitors and has worked for years
    The atmosphere here is extremely empowering open and inviting i love the people here!

Cons

With a lot of people chiming in, sometimes it can be hard to be heard or recognized
    There are a lot of decision makers and sometimes decisions don't get made with the right input, or a complete background of the challenge.

Allow people to own a project which will add accountability, and accomplishment
    Be willing to stop and change something even if it means to start over to do it "right"

Peer1, yes!

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for less than a year

Pros

With a very horizontal organization structure, it is incredibly easy to touch base with anyone in the company when needed. The casual atmosphere is very comfortable, yet the staff oozes professional excellence. Everyone is an expert in their field.

Cons

If being expected to do one's job well in a comfortable, enriching and invigorating environment is a con, well then, so be it.

Great work place atmosphere

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The co-workers here are fun and lively. There are lots of learning opportunities here and they do reimburse for qualifying certification tests. There are also cross training opportunities available. They have medical, 401K and life insurance that are fairly priced.

Cons

Don't expect raises here, this includes cost of living. Policies are different from location to location. They just went through a kind of merger so things are in constant flux and changes arise every week.

Communication is key. Concentrate on created a unified process so confusion between locations can be reduced.

Once GREAT now spiraling out of control

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not many anymore, several years ago it could have filled a book

Cons

About 2.5 years ago HR took the company over, it happened almost overnight. One day we where a company where you could disagree, everyone talked to each other honestly and departments would hash out problems and find solutions. The next day the company was taken over by "Peer and Performance" (because HR is a dirty word now) and you started hearing people use a lot less real language and start throwing nonsensical buzz words around, using metaphors that made no sense because someone obviously read it in a management book but did not grasp the context. We are at a point now where we will google the latest "engagement" program to come out of HR to see where it was stolen from, couples therapy courses, management seminars, blogs and most recently from a Mormon womens leadership course.
    Over the course of those 2.5 years the company has started to falter big time, loyal and skilled employees started leaving from all levels, upper management started filling up with people who had absolutely no place in those roles, total revamping of departments began and when they didn't work out people started getting reprimanded for bringing up problems. People are now so scared to say anything that is against the grain that every conference call is now filled with buzzwords and banal unimportant issues, if critical issues are brought up you will either be shot down there or placated and reprimanded later for talking about problems not "opportunities for improvement". HR runs EVERYTHING now, the company is working toward visualization (FINALLY) in what can only be described as the largest failing in corporate business, EVERY single person involved sees the problems and knows this will be a terrible launch except for HR and guess who is in charge of disseminating information about this huge change? You got it, HR. So we have finally progressed from being an amazing, innovating company to one where non-technical people are training the technically skilled and telling them how awesome everything is.
    Oh and all these amazing innovations that HR is bringing in and getting articles written about? They take overworked people and literally force them to participate whether they like it or not then use the forced participation to show how much fun everyone had with it and justify doing more.
    From a financial standpoint the company grossly underpays most staff (unless you are management) by industry standards and does some of the most fiscally irresponsible things imaginable. EVERYTHING comes out of Canada to the US and UK having to go through multiple customs when the same things could be purchased cheaper and arrive faster in the country the order comes from. They sent a $5000 badge printer to every office in the company to make custom badges, this includes offices with as few as 2 employees. Why is this irresponsible? Glad you asked, each printer is designed to print 20000 badges a year which is way more badges in one year than employees we have, they could have sent 1 to the US and had them print and mail the badges to everyone in the US but oh well. BTW we got those 2 years ago and haven't even taken them out of the boxes yet because like most projects it was obviously someone justifying their job and as soon as that quarter passed it was thrown to the wayside. Normally this kind of abhorrent waste isn't that unusual in a large company but when they refuse to give raises or cost of living increases because "finances are tight" it is a bit of an insult.
    Getting promoted within the company is difficult but that has a lot to do with the remote nature of most of the offices but they do tend to promote people who can use buzz speak really well regardless of merit. That is one of the main things that is killing us, good people leave because they can't stand being repressed and the bad ones keep getting rewarded.

None - they wouldn't listen anyway, sadly I happen to be on speaking terms with a member of high upper management and he can't say anything either. He got destroyed on his peer review for trying to address some of these issues in a high level meeting. Eventually the company that bought Peer1 will have to step in and clean house, I sincerely hope they can save this company because I love it and it is sad watching it fall so far.

Great employees hobbled by inept management

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time

Pros

PEER1 is an outstandingly fun place to work. The co-workers feel more like friends and family, and everyone is encouraged to be who they are. Management (that is to say, lower to middle management in the US) are nearly without exception great people.

Cons

The company is top-heavy with a marketing oligarchy that overshadows every aspect of the business. It was an amazing place to work, before it was taken over by buzzwords and marketing initiatives - now it feels like an ad agency that happens to have some spare servers in the back.

You are people too. You make mistakes, you can get over them, we'll respect you if you admit them. Don't inflict your mistakes on others needlessly. Don't refuse to learn from them.

It's what you ask of us, so we have the right to ask it from you.

Amazing work environment, company filled with passionate, smart people

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Peer 1 Hosting actually cares about each employee. You are not just a number here. Instead, we are all encouraged to bring our authentic self to work each day.

Cons

Because decisions are made by collaborating with one another, sometimes it takes a while for things to be decided. The results are better - but it takes longer to get there.

Worked for Peer 1 Hosting? Contribute to the Community!