Peer 1 Hosting Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
87 reviews filtered by
3.8
Tony Ciciretto

Pros
  • Great people, exciting business with growth continuing at pace (in 7 reviews)

• Great environment to work in, so you enjoy coming to work; (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They experience the same growing pains and learning that any global company does (in 9 reviews)

• We are a growing company in a growing industry, which means we experience growing pains like any young and nimble organization (in 4 reviews)

1. Sales

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting

Pros

People are treated as the first priority.

Cons

Ownership by a large non-hosting entity

2. The culture and the colleagues - one of the best!

I worked at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found during my time there that the culture was a breath of fresh air. People are friendly, supportive and great at what they do. The benefit package was pretty good - a 4% match on RSP and average group ins coverage. Salary rates also decent.

Cons

Felt there was a disconnect between the HR or PP dept and employees. Didn't feel the PP rep in the office really knew how to handle situations.

3. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unbelievable culture within a warm and very supportive environment. New leadership is bringing new ideas, new innovation and welcome changes. Company sponsored monthly engagement opportunities give employees a chance to bond outside of the office. Refinements in training are bringing more formal training to all roles and clear career paths are being created and defined.

Cons

Not everyone is held to the same level of accountability which can sometimes lead to friction or disconnect. Multiple offices in North America make it hard (at times) to get things done quickly as you play phone and email tag with other departments.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to our customers to define what our products, marketing, support and innovation should look like. We've finally started to engage our customers in these types of conversations - let's keep doing it more and more.

Boys Club who bribe employees to write good reviews

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in the Jr. High boys club in San Antonio then you will fit it nicely.

Cons

This company is run by a leadership team (I use that term loosely) that has a frat boy mentality. They have not introduced a new product in 2.5 years and are churning customers faster than they acquire new ones. This is the worst job I have ever had. The leadership team sent instructions for everyone to come on this site on put in a good review whether you like the company or not. This was followed up every week until they got the number they wanted. Sad!

Advice to Management

Instead of having employees try to patch a problem... Fix it yourselves. That's why you were hired!

Don't believe the reviews on here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Peer 1 Hosting

Pros

Not many pros at this point.

Cons

Most of the positive reviews were coersed by HR. Company lacks direction and has no real sense of new technologies. This company used to be great. Fun atmosphere, innovative and creative. These things no longer apply to a company that is a shell of its former self as they flounder in the market and are unable to keep up with their competitors. This company is losing money and has recently had a round of layoffs. They have lost many senior people that were smart and knew what they were doing. The leadership that is left is pretty much clueless about what the market is doing and how to use technology to meet customers needs.

Advice to Management

Get some sense of a clue about different technologies and don't be so stubborn to think that customers still want 10 year old innovation.

7. Amazing culture, challenging work and a fun place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is fantastic. The people are amazing. The environment is great. Oh and the work is pretty good too.

Cons

The strategy is not always being driven by leadership. Communication is not as strong as it could be. More regular business wide comms would be of great benefit.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Focus on maintaining the amazing culture as without that, Peer 1 would be just another place to work.

Almost great

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time

Pros

There is a real family atmosphere. You come to love your coworkers, and there are many people who truly care about you as a person.

Cons

Unfortunately, that's not shared by upper management. Peer 1 has the same problems it's had forever. It refuses to hold people accountable for their work. They try to improve the customer experience by throwing support people at problems. When the actual problems are deeper and ignored.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who aren't there just to draw a paycheck. Peer 1 is almost great. And it can be great. But it's starting to lose its heart.

New Senior Management, lagging products, and staffing changes have created a downward spiral.

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it's a fun place to work most of the time. It's a relaxed environment, with many different people, roles and locations to keep things interesting.

Cons

This company seems to reward under-performers and keeps future stars throttled. Too many extremely talented people have departed or been let go of. Many people are flying under the radar and rewarded for fitting in rather than having superior skills. Recruiting, salaries and products have not kept up with the standards of competitors. Senior Management is disconnected from staff, and has an agenda that is there only to prove their self-worth, many of whom have inherited leadership, and are not worthy people leaders. A lot of new staffing is entry-level and it is now a company that is too heavy on junior, too heavy on ineffective HR, and too light on Tech. The "People Company" tagline is fluff.

Advice to Management

You're not in this for yourselves. Most of you are new to the business but refuse to respect the history of the company - when it was a growing, respected company. Consider the skills that your staff has and harness the potential outside of your finite agenda. Reward your own people rather than outsiders.

Great colleagues, limited growth potential.

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The thing that drew me to Peer 1 was the people, 100%. The culture is like no other, and I have colleagues who will be lifelong friends. The sense of fun and play is always evident. It is also a great learning ground - if you take the initiative to get involved in a variety of aspects of the business, you will find very little pushback to your doing that. It has retained the best elements of when it was a startup, in terms of letting people to some extent write their own job descriptions and get involved in the work they want to be involved in.

Cons

Since the merger in 2012 the place has been in a constant state of flux, including a revolving door of executives. The current executive team are somewhat green and do not seem to know how to push the company forward - there is lot of communication but little actual progress, and what seem to be a number of 180 degree turns in terms of strategy. Investment in leadership candidates, who should be groomed for long-term succession, has essentially halted, partly due to budget and also I think due to inexperience of the current management team and uncertainty about what happens next with the company, and there is little transparency about long term career paths for exceptional or superstar employees other than "keep doing what you're doing." The lack of competitive products make me a little worried for the long term sustainability of this company. Compensation for my role is well below market, which I was OK with if there was growth opportunities, which haven't appeared despite excellent performance reviews. I feel like I've hit a leadership ceiling, which has been discussed with management several times with promises of action which I haven't seen yet.

Advice to Management

While this may be a time of uncertainty, more communication is better than none. Nor does the communication have to be dumbed down or made positive if the news isn't positive. The people who work in this company feel a strong sense of ownership and I think you will be surprised at how people step up if they are told the real situation.

The performance review process needs to be clarified as well. It's confusing, the IT system being used is not user friendly and has not been the answer to all problems as you thought it might be, and development programs for those who want them seem to be nonexistent.

11. On the Brink of something Amazing

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, smart professional employees. And, the ability to be great.

Cons

The company is a conglomerate of other companies. This leads to distinct dysfunction that is hurting the customer experience.

Advice to Management

The most Dysfunctional group is the Leadership in the customer experience group. In fighting, and childish alliances keep the true mission in the background. Stop! Empower your team mates to do the right thing for customers.