Peerless Industries

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.8

John Potts

Sick of reading the fake reviews created by the marketing team?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Pros

Peerless-AV isn't a bad company. For being an AV company though, the IT/MIS department is behind the times. Which isn't a huge deal as most of the management is open minded, allowing for idea generation and game changing initiatives. Good benefits too. There are a lot of good people working for this company, good people that are fun, helpful, and friendly. Management is willing to speak with you, interact with you, don't be put-off by the thought of executives. They are polite, friendly, helpful, and willing to listen/interact.

Cons

The marketing strategy has blurred vision, hiring external companies and relying on outside partners to carry the marketing effort. Unfortunately, those external agencies have successfully blown smoke into the management staff, instilled false confidence, and set themselves up for failure. The internal marketing management NEEDS help. More concerned about having fun and posting hash tags and selfies, rather than growing the business. When an entire department forms a clique with employees, issues are brewing... A lot of steps in the correct direction have been made, but still more is needed. More market research is needed, start with the basics - SWOT analysis and competitive analysis would do wonders.

The building is dungeonous (and feels kind of dated) with no lobby, the cubes are similar to prison (or at least what is portrayed in the movies). Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of growth opportunity within the company.

Ensure the right people are in the right places. Keep being the great leaders that you each have been and are. Look around for more hidden talent, don't let the biggest voice do the decision making. Be skeptical, don't let the outside companies sway opinions and instill false confidence. Let the right people in the right positions make the right decisions, don't make uninformed decisions based on hearsay.

Great company for hard working job seekers

Pros

I have been with Peerless Industries for 15+ years and have to admit that some of the negative comments in some reviews are very surprising to me. Couple of the reviews speak about management having favorites and that promotions are given based on favoritism. I have been pretty successful at Peerless and want to make it very clear that all of the success that I have experienced and have seen others experience has been based on years of hard work, loyalty, and dedication to the company. Yes there are older employees that know each other pretty well because we have all worked together much more closely when the company was small, so I can see how to newer employees it may seem that there is a lot of favoritism, but in reality my boss is a lot harder on me because of our long professional relationship then he is with his new employees. As a company we have struggled at times, but current executive management is better than it has ever been since I have been employed. I definitely understand new employees seeing things from their own perspective, but one thing that they are missing is the history behind what they are currently seeing and why certain employees seem to have a better relationship with management. To job seekers I can honestly say that employees that go above and beyond, are loyal, trustworthy, and care about their jobs and the company will do well at Peerless and are appreciated and respected.

Cons

Changes in direction due to economy and many new competitors saturating the market.

Interact with new employees on a one on one basis so they can get to know you and feel part of the team.

Great old company turning the corner

Pros

Great Benefits package, the insurance has been a life saver for me and my family. From what I understand of the new products they are very exciting and will help grow sales. It is a big enough company that it seems stable but small enough that we do fun family type events.

Cons

No real training that I can see to get ahead. Tons of work to do, it takes a while to hire new people around here. Departments need to communicate better with each other.

I would like to better understand what role the new products play and how important they are compared to our mounts. The new products take a lot more time to explain and I am not sure the time is worth it. We definitely need a career ladder or training program to advance to another job inside.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place I will always call home

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Aurora, IL

Pros

I worked for Peerless for 8 years starting there right out of college. I started in Customer Service and worked my way up to my desired field of Marketing. I learned a great deal about manufacturing, sales and advertising. Peerless offers a great benefits package, good salaries and a descent time off policy. Most of all I enjoyed meeting great people that are still good friends today after leaving the company a few years back.

Cons

The main challenge I found working at Peerless was working on "important/right now" type of projects that never came to fruition. It was frustrating in the moment, however I came to realize it was it was about the individual I was reporting to not the company as a whole. That person has since been replaced.

My advice would be to keep your employees informed as to the direction the company is headed. Employees like to feel involved not left out.

Great Company

Pros

There is definitely a change happening here - fun and work-life balance are highly encouraged. There are plenty of opportunities to work as a team and grow individually (hiring from with-in is a encouraged). More recently, the company has taken an initiative to include volunteerism opportunities - Toys for Tots, blood drives, etc.

The benefits are rarely matched. Insurance is very cost-effective for employees and they offer a 401k match and tuition reimbursement. They even pay for your fitness club membership!

Cons

It is always difficult to create change from within. As this is a slow process, some longer-term employees have trouble getting on-board with a new regime.

Keep up encouraging fun and team-work.

Political Quagmire With No Vision, No Leadership and No Future.

Former Employee - Management  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Aurora, IL

Pros

Those unethical, deviant and despicable people who excel at blaming others, pointing fingers, playing politics, cheating, manipulating, lying, stealing, having no morals or values, and most importantly having the ear of the owner and blowing smoke up his nose could do well for bringing nothing but destruction to this business.

Cons

The only thing that matters is how much money the owner and other shareholders can take out of the company each and every year, Titanic had better chance of staying afloat in the long-term. Fake recent reviews have been posted here as marketing propaganda. Pay and incentives are below minimum wage when accounting for how much you're expected to perform, but few do anything productive any way, so they get what they pay.

Fire yourself, tell the owner to sell the company to those who truly want it to grow and most importantly are committed and know how to do so. Alternatively, the owner can grow a set, discover God and grow a brain, and put in charge and fully back a brand new management team of truly smart and capable managers before he chokes on cash and kicks the bucket at his old age.

Sadly backwards thinking company, needs a new perspective and new management

Pros

Like most I agree the health plan is good.

Cons

I have been working here for over 10 years and I can understand most of the previous ratings, although I can relate much more to the negative reviews. Most of the departments are heavily departmentalized, so someone in a good department would have a very different experience than a person in a bad silo without even knowing how others are treated. The customer care department is one of the best I have ever seen. Their training and knowledge of the product is far above anyone else in the company. On the other hand, the HR, development, quality, purchasing and operations silos are the worst I have ever seen. These departments are full of middle managers selected by relationships or by performing certain 'favors' instead of merit, knowledge, education or experience. The upper management selection is also based on the buddy system and sadly prove their shortcomings in each company meeting. I have seen some really great people come and go over the years in most every position in the company. The current management has been and will continue to be the cause for most of the talent leaving this company. If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck in one of the above mentioned silos and you have a brain in your head, you have two options, leave the company or learn how to suck up like champion.

The fact that many employees are being intimidated to leave positive reviews on an independent web site to improve the company rating should be enough evidence for anyone to see the truth. They could just as easily create these inflated ratings themselves. This is typical Peerless mentality, they will spend unlimited time and resources to try to convince everyone that everything is great when it isn't. If they would spend half that time and resources on actually making this a great company, they wouldn't have to say a word, everyone would know and would never leave. Unfortunately this company culture breeds and nourishes the weak minded and greedy, power hungry individuals.

Only look to work here if you have no education, no experience and no ambition.

Thank your lucky stars you have a job where performance, ability or results are not a factor.

Worst company to work for due to incompetent management period

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Pros

The only thing this company could even consider a pro is the insurance package

Cons

No leadership or direction from anyone that is considered to be management. The 'new' president is clueless and has no vision of where the company is or should be. Promotions are handed out to unqualified friends of management. No training plan exists. The quality control of these most recent products is dangerously low, only a matter of time before a consumer is hurt. Severely under qualified management in most departments make even the smallest task a major debacle.

Quit immediately and let this once proud and valuable company survive without your incompetence.

I Enjoy Working Here

Pros

I have formed not only great working relationships but amazing friendships with many of my coworkers. There is an excellent sense of a team environment, and everyone pulls together to complete projects. This company also offers amazing benefits, unlike any other company I have worked for - great overall package. Input is valued from anyone in any department, as well as from customers.

Cons

Many processes that sometimes impede progress.

Keep moving in the right direction.

Great benefits, good co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Pros

Great group of co-workers. Benefits are almost unheard of - amazing health insurance (including dental), 401k match, tuition reimbursements. Many changes have been made in upper management that have lead to a more positive work environment; they are very receptive to new ideas and out-of-the-box thinking. There is a lot of flexibility working here.

Cons

Some long-term employees are resistant to change.

Stay on the path of listening to employee concerns and reacting appropriately.

Worked for Peerless Industries? Contribute to the Community!