Peet's
www.peets.com Emeryville, CA 5000+ Employees

Peet's Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Peet's – US – “really good coffee”

Dave Burwick

Pros:
  • "great product best coffee and tea"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Excellent product quality, sourcing of beans"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is definitely no work life balance, you are a coffee slave"
    in 4 reviews
  • "For all the hard work they have us doing on a daily basis, the pay is hardly worth it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

if you like getting treated poorly....

Shift Lead (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

Prosthe pay is pretty good. free drinks when you work and free coffee or tea to take home every week.

Consi worked in one of the markets that went from caribou to peets last year and at first i was in love with the company (for a week or two) then the honey moon stage went away... we had one week on the floor learning how to make drinks, etc... then spent almost two weeks on a laptop learning how to work all the back office computer stuff and peets protocol. long story short the training was lacking if best. fast word 8 months and me and my coworkers are finding out that we've been doing stuff wrong or didnt know we where supposed to do certain things until we get yelled at by our DM. It wont be a bad place to work if i was in one of the west coast stores that been around for awhile, cause then im sure i would have had better training.

Advice to Senior Managementget ride of the computer training for some of the back office stuff. its more hands on stuff we need to learn then looking at a program telling us how to do it. also i think it might be a good idea to learn about your new markets a little better then just jumping in head first, that works sometimes in life but not in business.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok for part time

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of coffee and tea geeks, free drinks on shift, once established in a store there are a bunch of fabulous regulars to interact with as well as co-workers. If you are a fast learner and a good cleaner, being a retail associate/barista is a better route to take. They get invovled with the communities they are in and make sure they pay fair trade prices for the coffee they get.
    High quality drinks and attention to high standards to makes sure the coffee and coffee based drinks are quality-coffee forward.

ConsLittle pay for a LOT of work. Managers have almost no work life balance despite what they tell you. They tend to work way too hard to meet some resonable and many not-reasonable expectations. There are many balls in the air and if you happen to fumble even one, you are made to feel like you aren't doing enough (even if many other things are going well). There is almost a begrudging complement occationally in all the negative.
    On physical demands, they work you to the bone and seem a little uncaring if you need to use workers compensation. In 4 years of working there, I had to use that program twice because I literally could not raise my arms without searing pain from having to make drink. The demand is that we make quality drinks, quickly, without the staffing necessary to be able to use the 'proper body mechanics' that they tell you are mandatory. If we actually used proper body mechanics, we would not be able to maintain speed which seems to make it more fast food than high quality food/drink. The constant daily pain of mantaining such a pace is not worth the pay (I have to spend a healthy chunk of my paycheck on chiropractic, massage, etc just to be able to be functional day to day).
    On training, they don't put as much into training retail associates properly as even they used to even a few years back. Used to be that there were training shifts, shadow shifts, solo shifts but no longer. More often now it is briefly explaining how a shift (mostly opening and closing shifts) is supposed to go in the brief times between rushes and then a person is thrown into it with maybe one day's explaination.
    The new branding is making it more like a high quality Starbucks rather than what Peet's used to be: An introduction to high quality coffee with an emphasis on educating the public on where there moring cup of java comes from. It feels like they are moving to faster paced cafe with only education of customers and even the staff members on rare occasion. While there is a take home program where employees can take home a 1/2lb of coffee or tin of tea each week to better educate themselves on the coffees we offer, we now offer so many coffees that it is almost unwieldy for a part time employee (who is usually a student) to memorize them all.
    The only reason the outlook for Peet's is looking up is because they are expanding their retail locations and sacrificing many of their orginal values to make a profit.

Like I said before, if you are looking for a part time job, it is not horrible but, I would recommend not getting into management unless you like constant changes and challenges that are almost near impossible to meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake what retail members request seriously. They are the ones making your dreams a reality and though there are few left, there are those that remember when the pay and benefits were much better and we were focused more on quality and proper training. Make sure the money that we are making is going back to the employees, the ones in the trenches sacrificing their bodie and their home lifes to make this business work. We are the backbone of this company and if we were treated as people and not as machines, there would be such a low turnover rate and ultimately a better bottom line for each store and for the company at large.

Management does whatever they want. Terrible training

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBonus. Benefits. Free coffee. Dress code. Work life balance. Hours. There aren't any other pros to list about this company.

ConsManagement. Politics. No training. No corporate support. No standard procedures/rules. Rewards/acknowledgment only given to those who are friends with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does whatever they want with zero repercussions. Promotions/hiring/firing very political.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You will learn a lot about coffee, tea and barista skills.

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee)

ProsQuality coffee, free coffee and discounts on merchandise.

ConsTried to get promoted and after two years of getting lead on I'm done. Also the raises are less then 25 cents a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to your employees. Don't mislead your employees. If you can't give an employee a certain amount of hours or a promotion it can be frustrating.

So Far, So Good!

Retail Sales and Barista (Current Employee)
    Fair Oaks, CA

ProsSo far, as my 2 months in, I would say that I enjoy the atmosphere, and the attitude of the people I work with and my customers at Peet's. There are so many wonderful regulars, and many good employees. There is a new boss, but I usually like her. She is a little too high-energy for me, however, she runs the store well and works with scheduling and calling out well.

I love Peet's passion and commitment to high-quality products. Hearing that they will send back old coffee over a boat if it is expired is inspiring. In my opinion, they are a good company with a commitment to quality! I love that they make us taste EVERYTHING, so we can describe it to customers and recommend the best product. The training has been extensive, which is great! I love learning and knowing how to properly use items in the store and operate at the highest level.

We get free coffee and tea whenever, and free bar drinks on the clock. We also get a take home coffee or tea and pastry every week. I love that! I can try drinks and be able to tell customers what they are like! :)

ConsShe is always talking about being over hours, and it's just not something you want to hear as an employee. I work this job and another while going to school full-time to pay off thousands I have incurred in debt because of school. Hours are something I need. Some of the employees treat me like I am stupid, but I understand I am new.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease promote people who deserve it. Many of the shift leads are too old and incompetent (out-dated and close-minded) to work with new policies.

Coffee snobbery 101 with a fast food twist.

Barista and Shift Lead (Former Employee)
    Evanston, IL

ProsThe people were always the best, the clientele pretty great. If you can get enough hours to benefit from it, the vacation time and insurance packages were not bad. Also, Peets offered an employee purchase of pre-tax public transportation spending, which was a life saver in Chicago. Also, I benefitted from several referral bonuses, and ea once the winner of a $350 gift card in a company wide drawing of referral-givers.

ConsShort shifts (some as low as 3 hours and 15 minutes), low pay, high expectations of social and emotional performance, as well as mastery, multitasking, and unpaid promotions (specialist positions dangled in peoples faces, sometimes imposed up them, all unpaid added responsibilities). Very strict tardiness policy, very last minute scheduling: for example, out of the two stores I worked with, the average day of the schedule being posted for the following week was Thursday, but if anything happened in the store that day out of the norm, it could be Friday or Saturday until people are their schedules. Lastly, the raises are insultingly pitiful. After all the hoops you jump through and te intensive grading process of the review, the average raise is probably around $0.14. I've heard of occasional raises as high as $0.50, and frequent raises as low as $0.05. My average was $0.20, highest ever was $0.28.

Advice to Senior ManagementGolden rule: treat your workers as you would hope to be treated. Resist attempts from the top to squeeze the most possible out of your store for the least amount of money. I understand that that's the status quo in business and economics, but I also understand that Peet's used to be different, that it used to have a higher quality product and a happier workforce. Make every attempt to bring that back!

Great coworkers, poor management

Retail Sales and Barista (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsCoworkers provided fun environment and felt rewarded helping customers

ConsManager was horrible and picked favorites

Interesting first job at downtown Santa Barbara location, Learned a lot but was very fast-paced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou would like working here if you like coffee and engaging with customers who are very passionate about coffee connoisseurship.

ConsWork issues at managerial level caused store issues. Bay area locations run better. During my 8 months there the store was never given enough labor hours from corporate Peet's, so our customer service and store cleanliness suffered. Baristas had to work very hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people credit for their efforts.

Great Job

Barista (Former Employee)
    San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsEndless supply of coffee and tea, organized company with lots of training, fun co-workers

ConsEarly hours, many secret shoppers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees that enjoy the product sold

Love Peet's passion for artisan coffee and tea

Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Santa Clarita, CA

ProsFrom what I can see, corporate has an incredible passion to continue implementing Alfred Peet's desire to share artisan coffee and tea with the masses. I can feel their passion trickle down the ranks all the way into my store. His passion is still the heartbeat of this company.

ConsWhile Peet's is much, much less a boot-camp than working for Starbucks - we really are worked to the bone on most days with little pay. What customer interactions take out of a barista really begins to add up!

Advice to Senior ManagementBaristas are really doing the heavy lifting what with customer interactions and all the garbage (verbally) they throw at employees all day everyday, consider providing better support to them? Although I don't think getting paid more would make it any easier.

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peet's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peet's CEO Dave Burwick . All 129 reviews posted anonymously by Peet's employees.