Peet's
www.peets.com Emeryville, CA 5000+ Employees

Peet's Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
Peet's – US – “really good coffee”

Dave Burwick

Pros:
  • "great product best coffee and tea"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Excellent product quality, sourcing of beans"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is definitely no work life balance, you are a coffee slave"
    in 4 reviews
  • "For all the hard work they have us doing on a daily basis, the pay is hardly worth it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Peet's Can Do Better (and they should)

Barista/Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get a free half pound of coffee, or a box of tea, a week.

ConsThe job is very physically demanding and not always safe. The pay starts out just above minimum wage and annual raises are not guaranteed to outstrip inflation. Full availability is often required for only part-time work, and there are no paid sick days, even in some cities where a paid sick day ordinance is in place (San Francisco, CA and Portland, OR)

Advice to Senior ManagementPeet's has a strong following and good customer loyalty. They are the Grandfather of Specialty Coffee in America. It is time for Peet's to be a leader, once again, of the American retail industry. By providing sustainable employment for all their employees, Peet's will ensure their place at the forefront of America's ever-growing coffee culture.

good job. don't do it for the money.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Prosi have been blessed with really good management for most--but not all--of my time at peet's. the product is still great quality for a national company, though that is changing a little bit. if you luck out and get a good store, you'll love it. if you don't, you may hate it. it's very retail in that way. i recommend going for the ones that don't seem as busy. they usually have the least sales stress on them. (and this is not complaining about hard work. this is saying that some of the busier stores have insane budgets.)

Consi worked for starbucks for a really long time. the changes going on at peet's now as it goes national remind me of starbucks. if this appeals to you, go for it. but it's definitely not for everyone. also, the raises are actually *offensive.* consider excelling at your job and getting 40-60 cents a year in raises. it's rather sad.

Incredible product ... but major churn in management ... very low pay considering all they ask you to do and know

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAccess to some of the world's highest-quality coffees and teas; quality which hasn't change in 47 years and is upheld and taken seriously by most everyone at the company. Many opportunities to move up in the organization, especially if you live near the company's headquarters. If you are a retail associate Peet's can usually give you a very flexible schedule.

ConsCompany pays lip service to being a "training organization." I've been there more than 10 years and there are *never* enough labor hours to properly train anyone, from district manager to a part-time retail associate. Store managers are under constant pressure to drive sales yet keep labor in check (using a software many retailers use that schedule staff to 15-minute increments; staff hate it -- check the NY Times for its story on "Kronos").

If you are a retail associate you are expected to have an enormous amount of product knowledge for your $8.50/hour, as well as provide superior "customer engagement". There is massive churn in store management (my district's stores have had over 25 managers and assistant managers, and 5 district managers, in 10 years), who are given few tools and resources to properly staff and train their stores. For a company that's a pretty good size and seems to have a large marketing department, the marketing seems to be circa 1950 (collect postcards filled out by people in the store -- who are already customers -- to be on an email list and receive a free drink coupon ... and also go outside and hand out coupons for free drinks).

Also retail associates have no sick time, and the tips are kind of low as most people pay with credit cards and cannot put a tip on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct in accordance to the company's value statement. Instead of *saying* you invest in people, truly invest in them (as Mother says, it takes money to make money) - read your monthly "Happy Anniversary" memos to see how many employees have been around for more than 5 years (a handful), as opposed to the many, many dozens that are celebrating their one-year anniversary. This does not reflect investment in people.

We want to be "valued" for our work with a pay scale that is a living wage and respects all that Peet's asks us to know and do, not with contests and tshirts. Look at companies like Trader Joe's that pay more and have amazing employee retention. And hire some marketing people who can market to more than current customers, and remember you have stores across the country, not just in Northern Cal.... provide us with some real marketing support!

Good for a side job

Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

ProsFun place to work, short and tolerable hours, good coffee, customers tend to be nice

ConsCutthroat and competitive amongst employees, not enough hours if you need it

It was very very average

Barista (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a fun work environment

ConsThe managers are all about Micromanaging

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax and let them do their job

If you like "The Tudor's", you'll fit right in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDiscount on coffee/tea. Free coffee/tea. Decent Health benefits. Easy access to the freeway/mass transit [Corp office].

ConsExtremely political company. Slow to recognize Sloth and Unprofessional behavior. Lack of basic training. Hires mediocre employees. Promotes the most political of the bunch. Overall very insecure workforce. If you are meek or play a good political game of survivor you will Thrive!

Advice to Senior ManagementRid yourself of your deadweight employees. Hire progressive team playing and creative thinkers in all parts of your organization and you'll get better results. Also, it's ok to actually have integrity and run a business. Really.

Informative, Educative, Mostly positive, Constructive

Retail Sales and Barista (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Peet's part-time

ProsBenefits, Pay is above minimum Wage, Flexibility, Ability to work at all locations, Detailed Training Program

ConsThere are many locations and therefore all run differently. Some hire more transfers than new people and therefore employees can appear to become burnt out and jaded, also it makes training of new, outside employees for of a struggle since veteran employees are not used to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would take what was said above into consideration.

a testiment to mental fortitude

Employee (Current Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAwesome individuals/co-workers once you're below the "Director" level (though a few awesome Directors as well). The product (coffee) is some of the best you'll ever have, and there are some amazing people involved with that. Job duties can be challenging/stimulating on occasion.

ConsToo much of a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality among upper mgmt. An amazing inability to communicate between departments, with no apparent desire to correct. Sooooo much $$ wasted on projects that are not beneficial to the company as a whole. The demands and expectations on the rank and file vs. the level of compensation/benefits are so skewered it's laughable - like it should be an honor to work at Peet's. The company expouses a desire for "work/life balance", yet completely ignores this the minute it's inconvenient. Your opportunity for advancement is mostly predicated on internal politics, not your ability.

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach. if not, and you're gonna be contradictory plus take advantage of your employees, how about just being upfront about it?

Great company to work for

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Wellesley, MA

I worked at Peet's part-time for less than a year

ProsFree products
Quality product, employees care about what they are selling
Company puts a lot of effort into educating employees about products

ConsYou will smell strongly of coffee grounds after shifts
Early mornings can be tough to get used to
Might become an coffee snob
Nature of workplace- can be very busy at times, will likely encounter difficult customers (must like customer service)

Baritsa

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)
Davis, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat coffee and loyal customers

Consa little too particular, wish it felt less like a chain

Advice to Senior Managementtraining job is great

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peet's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peet's CEO Dave Burwick . All 111 reviews posted anonymously by Peet's employees.