Peet's Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.7

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Excellent product quality, sourcing of beans (in 10 reviews)

• great product best coffee and tea (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is definitely no work life balance, you are a coffee slave (in 5 reviews)

• One raise a year on a fixed percentage scale, so it's difficult to earn financial rewards for hard work (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A proud peetnik

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time

Pros

Love the company culture, the product, and people. A lot to learn about the product and managing in general. I never get bored in my position. Love that everyone is so passionate and loyal to the brand. There is a lot of freedom to manage how I want in my store. I don't feel micromanaged most of the time. Company has very high standards and high expectations for its employees. Since Dave Burwick took over, there have been a lot of positive changes and things are slowly progressing.

Cons

Training program for managers is lacking. There is a lot you have left to learn even after your training is complete that would help make any new manager feel more confident, for example, a more thorough inventory management training. The company in general is 10 years behind in technology, computers are always crashing or software applications freeze, which makes for less efficient systems.

Keep investing in your people more....Leadership classes for managers could be very helpful and inspiring, especially for new managers. Listen to your employees more. Upgrade your technology systems for once and for all. Tablets could replace clunky inefficient laptops and make things faster and more user friendly!

Great first job or extra cash to get you through college.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working at Peets because the work was easy, I met a LOT of interesting people in 3 years, and I got a lot of free coffee and tea.

Cons

The work is very monotonous. It's repetitive and often boring. The benefits are okay. I never could afford the whole package. The pay is very little even with SF min wage and the raises are miniscual. Also I did not like how they provided Health SF at first but when they stopped, didn't bother letting me know.

Please be as present and participating in your store as possible. When you go on vacation every other month or so it leads us to believe you are not as invested in your store or us and makes us wonder if you are prospering at out financial expense.

A job I truly love!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are selling a quality product to people who love what you have to offer. The company is really growing and there is plenty of opportunity for growth from store manager down

Cons

Once you get to store manager, moving beyond that gets difficult. There is a rule you must be a training manager of your district before you can move up. If your training manager has been doing it for years and hasn't been able to move on, you have to wait for your development until they do move on. Having to wait for someone else to develope so that I can progress has never been one of my strong suits.

Find a better way to develope store managers into district managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun job at the airport, where I met all kinds of people.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting different people/working with different people, learning about being a barista, made great tips at the airport, and fairly flexible schedule.

Cons

Franchise company was not great, perks were probably not the same as working at a Peet's in California, and towards the end of my stay with Peet's we had stay open until the last flight at night which wasn't fun.

Stressfull demanding misleading when they say independent distributor micro management by DM

Former Employee - Independent Distributor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not punching a clock & meeting new people plus being out & about by yourself or outdoors

Cons

Mcromanagment by DM,misleading when told independent & you sign a contract as a independent

Impossible

Coming from Starbucks, I couldn't ask for a better work environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Peet's part-time for less than a year

Pros

No dress code, more relaxed job, lack of micromanagement, allows the shift team more insight into operations and empowers the team to make decisions that will help the team. As long as you average 21 hours a week then you get medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) which is matched at 6%.

Cons

Lack of job growth. We are a new market, so this probably isn't relevant in California or other markets, but here we are growing too slowly almost and I may become an old man before any of us have the chance to move up. Also tuition reimbursement would be a god send.

Better hours for baristas. I am perfectly fine with mine, but too often managers will hire more baristas than needed and the pool of hours is greatly diluted. This happens even though most of our baristas have fairly open availability.

Great

I worked at Peet's

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome

Cons

Not enough pay to live on if you pay rent

Pay more

One of the better occupations I've held

Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits with culture. Plenty of room to expand and grow within the company. There was never a sense of being stuck in any position I held. Training was the focus, with lots of real-time experience during the training process. Most mgrs. have a wealth of knowledge of product.

Cons

Some managers (beyond store level) don't address issues, and/or at times address issues inappropriate. Some issues should be taken on by the store manager since they are suppose to be the leaders for shift leads and other employees.

Don't create "new policies that may be implemented" to address issues and single out individual employees. Especially since all employee and stores talk to each other. Doesn't give good example when dishonesty is apparent in how situations are handled.

A good retail job with benefits.

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Peet's for more than 5 years

Pros

As a former Starbucks employee, I found Peet's less "corporate" (although that is changing). I thought the product was very good, and for a chain it sometimes had a very homey and personalized feel (I have worked shifts at all my area shops). The training was very good--the management at store level when I started truly believed in the product and knew a lot more about coffee and tea than what they were trained with through the company. The company offered full benefits (medical, dental, 401k, stock options, life insurance) at 20 hours a week. The schedule was fairly flexible as long as you kept in mind most of your coworkers had school schedules. Most of the customers were great where I usually worked. It was a good fast-paced yet laid-back atmosphere. I made many close friends there with both employees and customers.

Cons

I started working 35-40 hours a week which dwindled ever so gradually over six years to 20-25, which I had to keep bringing to my manager's attention. The company seems to value fewer hours and more employees. My final wage was $10.15/hr, which simply was not enough to live on, especially working so few hours.

Offer more full-time opportunites to baristas.

A fun challenge

Former Employee - Barista/Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Barista/Sales Associate

I worked at Peet's as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The interview process was very easy and I heard back from them just a few days after my interview. I worked at a Peet's in Marin County. I got a few raises throughout my time there and also made tips which was nice. It was easy to request time off and they are very flexible with the schedule. Overall I have nothing bad to say about this company. I had a positive experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

As a part time employee you don't get any benefits. And since it is a coffee shop there are days where you have to be there at 4 AM.

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!