Peet's

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Quality product, employees care about what they are selling (in 11 reviews)

• Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The job of managing basically gets passed off to shift leads, who get paid (in 12 reviews)

• They offer health care for part time but it's so expensive that it's hard to reap the benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Dreadful

Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free drinks
    New friends
    FREE DRESSED
    That's about it
    Sad but true

Cons

I have never worked for a company like this after a month with them im putting in my three day notice because they dont deserve a whole two weeks to find a replacement I was a Shift LEAD but felt more like the boss the managers put all the responsibility on me I gave this company 100% they took it for granted!
    The medical benefits they offer is a joke :(

Please have respect for all your employees

Not what you think it is...

I worked at Peet's (less than an year)

Pros

-The free coffee and tea on shift is awesome, as well as one free pastry a day ( but who wants to eat one a day? They are FULL of calories, especially misleading are the ones labeled "reduced fat")
    -A free 1/2 pound of coffee or tin of tea to take home a week is fun, but you quickly start accumulating more tea than you could ever drink!
    -Some of the regulars are very kind people and can brighten up a crappy day.
    -Coffee and tea knowledge is pretty good if you take it seriously and ask questions.

Cons

-The hours are extremely dissapointing and fluctuate every week. If this is your only job, it sucks to not know how many hours you will recieve week by week and the days are all over the place so goodluck having any sort of social life.
    -Even if you get lucky and get 25-30 hours a week it will be spaced over at least 5 days because they schedule you for shifts under 6 hours (usually 4.5-5.5) so the company doesn't have to pay you for a 45 minute "lunch" break.
    -They time you when you make drinks no matter how busy it is, which can be intimidating for anyone, but especially a newer barista. 3 minutes and the screen goes blue, once it hits 5 the order goes red and the company tracks these and rates your store on the speed of service. Bullcrap. Some days the line is ridiculously long and peoples orders are extremeley nit picky which is irritating.
    -It seems the company is more focused on quanity of drinks they are producing than the quality, even though they will tell you that the quality is what sets peet's apart from the rest. I love peets coffee and agree that it is better than many places, but during a rush we should not be handing out badly foamed milk or overpulled shots simply because the baristas are cranking out 100's of drinks in a very fast paced and stressful environment and many baristas in that situation cannot produce their best work everytime. Especially when you have customers sending back drinks if something is slightly "off" or standing by the bar staring at you with a disgruntled look because their drink wasn't out in less than a minute.
    -Management is fake and only care about pleasing their bosses, who will come in on surprise visits and walk around the store picking at problems and acting like they are so important and special..( ITS JUST COFFEE PEOPLE!)
    -Also, stop becoming more like starbucks. Peets is charming and original and thats why people enjoy it so much.

-Treat the good employees the way they deserve, we work our butts off.
    -Schedule the ones who actually want to work, stop being so unreliable and giving good hours to people who clearly suck or don't want the hours. This is actually a huge problem and it really shouldn't be.
    -Stop complaining about the high turnover rate at peets if you treat your employees like they are replaceable.
    -Again, STOP becoming more like starbucks!! No one wants overly sweetened drinks or frappa dappa chinos. Peets coffee is good coffee, thats why it doesn't need to be overly sweetened like starbucks.

Large Cup of Chaos

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free drinks on the job and hefty amounts of pastries to take home when closing.

Cons

Not much room for any type of promotion unless you and management are best friends.

Step your game up.

Pride in the product, but poor work/life balance

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As far as being in the food service industry goes, being a barista is pretty good.
    Training was very good. They really take pride in their product.
    Starting pay is above minimum wage.
    1/2 pound of free coffee per week, plus a free pastry per shift and all the coffee you can reasonably consume during your shift.

Cons

Raises are prorated. If you've worked there less than a year, you won't get your full raise. The raises are also very small--very good work gets you $0.25/hr more. Promotion to Shift Lead gets you only $1 more per hour with about twice the amount of work.
    You're expected to give your life to your store. Stores are constantly understaffed, and regular schedules are not followed. Not a good job if you're also a student.
    Most shift leads and retail associates are kept just barely under 40 hours a week so they don't have to be paid benefits.
    Personally, I was denied bereavement leave by my manager because the person who died was not my mother, father, or sibling.

Give your employees raises that reward them or simply don't give raises.
    Reconsider your bereavement leave policy.
    Put shift leads at full time.
    Hire a reasonable amount of baristas so retail associates aren't overworked. For many of us, this is a part time job while we're going to school.

Overall good but it needs some work.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, great benefits, great perks (free coffee and tea every week plus retail item discounts), fast-paced environment, good bar education program, coffee is high quality.

Cons

Very erratic scheduling, pay raises minimal despite long-term commitment in a high turnover place, too much responsibility for shift leads for the pay they receive, very disorganized, things don't get fixed that impact speed of service...definitely needs work on prioritizing employee happiness/work-life balance.

Listen to the workers more. Do not let the workers who perform poorly get away with doing bad work while placing pressure on the good workers who care to pick up their slack. This frequent tactic ends up in the company losing amazing employees who get burned out from the unnecessary stress.

So Far, So Bad

Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I have been working at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free drinks- yeah, that's about it.

Cons

I did a previous review, and now that I have been working here since March of last year, I must say that management sucks. I had a fellow employee belittle me and harass me (IN FRONT OF MY MANAGER) and she did nothing, and when I went to talk to her about it later she cut me off and told me to focus on myself. IN reality, she is enabling this employee to make me walk on eggshells and take her harassment because she will do nothing I'm getting minimum wage for what???

Scheduling sucks, I am lucky if I get 15 hours a week, and she keeps hiring more people. Keep giving hours to your loyal staff. I'm available all week. She's obviously terrible at learning how to run a business. She just keeps sucking up to her boss.

Peet's keeps launching new things. Launch hot items, so customers won't leave because we can't heat up their Ham and Swiss Crossiant. Stop launching coffee no one cares about that it 50 dollars for a flipping half pound.

Ugh. Just UGH. Stop hiring incompetent people who look good on paper, but who leave their employees dissatisfied and unhappy with not loyalty given or money in their pockets.

When in doubt, apply.

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Tustin, CA

I worked at Peet's

Pros

I have not much experience to compare, but working for Peet's has been very enjoyable and fun. I have been lucky enough to work with the best people and the nicest customers. Sure you will get a cranky customer or disagreements amongst co-workers here and there, but overall if you are in the slightest interested, I highly recommend you to apply. The working hours are flexible and fair as long as you are clear with availabilities. It will be challenging at first, but you will quickly adapt and learn to handle difficult customers to creating a perfect latte.

Cons

1.) No clear/organized/efficient system for emergencies or sick hours. If you are schedule to work a certain day and an emergency arises and you are unable to get your shift covered, you are still expected to come in.
    2.) You will have co-workers who will stand around and do nothing -- lack of micromanaging

Be efficient and organized. Be equal with all the employees and do not play favoritism.

They expect you to do 5 things at once with no room for error.

Current Employee - Retail Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Associate

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The tin of tea a week is great. The job can be really fun with certain coworkers.

Cons

They don't distribute hours appropriately and upper management basically looks at you like you are completely incompetent. I have been working for 4 months and I only know how to make a latte and a hot chocolate on bar. There is no training system whatsoever and they expect way too much in return.

If you don't have time to train your employees, don't hire them.

Fun place to work at, but not much room to grow.

Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting half a pound of coffee or a box of tea every week. 50% discount on food. Fast and fun environment to work in. Love my team and my boss. Relatively lay back. Develop a personal relationship with many of the regular customers. Feel like a community.

Cons

The training is not very systematic. Most jobs are part-time. The coworkers often leave to different jobs.

Have a training that is more systematic. Make sure people are doing things the right way. A lot of our baristas come from Starbucks. Make sure they know the Peet's way to guarantee the quality of our products and services.

Fun, high energy work place with quality products

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

The work environment was high energy and ever busy. With fun coworkers and a wide customer base every day was unique. Easy to stand by products. Reasonable amount of training offered. Importance placed upon cleanliness and proper team interactions.

Cons

There would be issues with receiving proper shipments and ensuring necessary inventory was in stock. Not always the best communication between higher level management and retail staff.

When making the choice to close a business more than a two day notice would be appreciated. Ensure there is a proper amount of staff to complete tasks.

Peet's Photos