Peet's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Quality product, employees care about what they are selling (in 11 reviews)

• Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some issues should be taken on by the store manager since they are suppose to be the leaders for shift leads and other employees (in 12 reviews)

• They offer health care for part time but it's so expensive that it's hard to reap the benefits (in 9 reviews)

1. STOP! Look somewhere else

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee while you work, 1/2 lb free a week of coffee or tea.

Cons

So many! Bad management, VERY disorganized, grew too fast with no clue of how to organize. Store have inexperienced staff and the health code practices are not in place. Stores are extremely dirty and not kept clean. They need a visit from Undercover Boss!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff, while you sit in your offices out in California you have not idea the talent that you are losing because of poor staffing decisions. Instead of just thinking about the bottom line, know that your customers are not getting consistant products and most staff doesn't even know the difference between light & dark roast coffee. It's a shame you allow this to happen. All you having going for you is the coffee! And being a Bay Area/Silicon Valley based company, it is embarrassing that you do not have an app and rewards for you customers to date. Starbucks may not have the coffee quality but they have the perks and the customers!

2. Great job straight out of high school

Pros

You make a lot of friends with co workers and customers alike. Free coffee and pastry on your shifts, and gain new skills.

Cons

It is difficult to gain a pay increase, when in a shift lead position you are doing a lot of baby sitting and have a heavy work load.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to equally divide responsibilities so work load is attainable in one shift and higher pay increase.

3. Peet's Coffee

Former Employee - Cashier in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited free drinks while on shift and one free pastry -Great co-workers -Flexible schedule

Cons

-hours were tough: opening shift started at 4:30 -customers could be rude -Seems like there is little for room for advancement after shift lead

Advice to Management

Not sure if this is realistic at all, but it would be nice if there was a way for entry level workers to have a shot at the corporate level at some point.

5. Retail Associate

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun fast paced work, meeting lots of interesting and exciting people, excellent and energetic coworkers, free coffee beans every week and free drinks while you're working, great for someone looking for a part time job while in college, tips

Cons

Regular 4 hour shifts can seem hardly worth it with any kind of commute, No parking provided(at my store), lower end just about minimum wage pay, tips are divided among the staff meaning if one team member is lacking the whole team suffers, advancement can be slow and often seems more political than merit based, extremely early mornings

Good, but no longer great.

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Peet's for over two years and I witnessed all the transformation and growth the company started having. They were very flexible with my schedule, tips were steady and made lots of friends.

Cons

Staffing was always on the short side, and there was a while where I was working 53 hours a week as a LEAD. I started working at Peet's because I loved coffee and wanted to learn more about its history and origins; after they were bought out and went private, their focus changed from their coffee beans to their sugary drinks. Not the Peets I ranted and raved about for most of my life.

Advice to Management

Please be consistent! Train your baristas all the same, and don't give some more attention than others; there's a lot of untapped potential in them. Stick to your word and honor your baristas, not just the human(robots) at HR and the Roastary.

Pretentious & Unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

Good coffee, employee discounts on coffee.

Cons

Company values and actual reality do not match. Very little processes in place, bad systems, departments working in silos. Unprofessional environment with certain management on power trip. Pretentious culture making it seem as if they care about employees but actually do not. Rampant cronyism, chaotic and stupidity in management is rampant. Lack of support for employees. Sub-par benefits. Constant attrition and low morale. Run away from this place.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your butts and stop hiring only your friends. Have decency, morals, and conscience, and check your egos.

Shift Manager/Barista

Pros

Great co-workers. Great products. $1-3/hour in tips (depends on store). I have encountered some pretty awesome managers as well- depends on the store really. Good benefits, if you maintain 21+ hours a weeks. Peet's taught me SO much, not just about their products but coffee and tea in general.

Cons

Only a dollar raise when you promote from barista to shift manager- no negotiation. The workload increases as Peet's expands as a company, while unrealistic goals are expected of poorly staffed stores. For example, it is hard to keep a store clean or ran properly without enough staff. The staff are yelled at by customers for not providing prompt service, which is due to poor/low staffing. Very little recognition from upper management. District and regional managers are clueless about/disconnected from their stores.

Advice to Management

For district managers/home office: How about you WORK in the stores, at the ground level more often, or now and then? I think more hands-on approach from district managers would help boost morale and give the company a more realistic idea of why stores are failing to meet customers needs, gold standards, health code, Ecosure inspections, etc.

9. Fun place to work for beginner coffee lovers

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about coffee and tea and can also drink it for free!

Cons

Sometimes the Store Manager didn't take care of employee needs

10. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Los Gabaldones, NM
    Current Employee - Cashier in Los Gabaldones, NM

I have been working at Peet's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coffee. I like working here. The customers are so nice. My boss is super smart. He has a cat he brings it to work

Cons

Coffee so strong I get crazy

Advice to Management

Go to starbucks

11. One of the best retail jobs I've had

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited Coffee and tea for the baristas, health care is provided when you work 500+ hours under this employer, and there is definitely a skill associated with making drinks at a coffee shop, especially extra dry cappuccinos. More care and quality seems to be associated with Peet's compared to competitors. Coworkers are usually nice and friendly, and the atmosphere overall is relaxing.

Cons

Stressful under long hours of work, but that's to be expected from any fast-paced retail environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed