Peet's

www.peets.com

Peet's Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Peet's – US – “really good coffee”

Peet's – US – “really good coffee”

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Excellent product quality, sourcing of beans (in 10 reviews)

• great product best coffee and tea (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is definitely no work life balance, you are a coffee slave (in 5 reviews)

• One raise a year on a fixed percentage scale, so it's difficult to earn financial rewards for hard work (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent company in over their head.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product, some of the best coffee in the industry, relaxed environment, embrace employee individuality, and they have a strong presence in the global community with charities.

ConsThere is no connection between the field and the home office, they have expanded too quickly without being ready for company changes resulting in the loss of many jobs and closure of stores, upper management is mediocre at best.

Coming from Starbucks, I couldn't ask for a better work environment.

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNo dress code, more relaxed job, lack of micromanagement, allows the shift team more insight into operations and empowers the team to make decisions that will help the team. As long as you average 21 hours a week then you get medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) which is matched at 6%.

ConsLack of job growth. We are a new market, so this probably isn't relevant in California or other markets, but here we are growing too slowly almost and I may become an old man before any of us have the chance to move up. Also tuition reimbursement would be a god send.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter hours for baristas. I am perfectly fine with mine, but too often managers will hire more baristas than needed and the pool of hours is greatly diluted. This happens even though most of our baristas have fairly open availability.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were awesome

ConsNot enough pay to live on if you pay rent

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company isn't what it used to be. Best coworkers anyone can ask for

Shift Lead (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsVery relaxed staff that are friendly. Staff are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about coffee and tea.

ConsEver since the owner died, the people in charge have been number crunching. It's a moot point trying to catch and match Starbucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make your own brand, stop trying to compete with Starbucks. It's impossible to do so

A fun challenge

Barista/Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe interview process was very easy and I heard back from them just a few days after my interview. I worked at a Peet's in Marin County. I got a few raises throughout my time there and also made tips which was nice. It was easy to request time off and they are very flexible with the schedule. Overall I have nothing bad to say about this company. I had a positive experience and would recommend it to anyone.

ConsAs a part time employee you don't get any benefits. And since it is a coffee shop there are days where you have to be there at 4 AM.

A good retail job with benefits.

Barista (Former Employee)

ProsAs a former Starbucks employee, I found Peet's less "corporate" (although that is changing). I thought the product was very good, and for a chain it sometimes had a very homey and personalized feel (I have worked shifts at all my area shops). The training was very good--the management at store level when I started truly believed in the product and knew a lot more about coffee and tea than what they were trained with through the company. The company offered full benefits (medical, dental, 401k, stock options, life insurance) at 20 hours a week. The schedule was fairly flexible as long as you kept in mind most of your coworkers had school schedules. Most of the customers were great where I usually worked. It was a good fast-paced yet laid-back atmosphere. I made many close friends there with both employees and customers.

ConsI started working 35-40 hours a week which dwindled ever so gradually over six years to 20-25, which I had to keep bringing to my manager's attention. The company seems to value fewer hours and more employees. My final wage was $10.15/hr, which simply was not enough to live on, especially working so few hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more full-time opportunites to baristas.

Great part time job

Retail Sales and Barista (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPeet's values individual employees and training them well. A fun work environment that emphasized knowledge and quality products.

ConsMy store was a unorganized in terms of management and scheduling. It seemed as if it was constantly in flux, and there were times I was not sure who my manager was. If that were to get sorted out, it would be an ideal part time job.

Lead Barista

Student Lead Barista (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsJob is fun and takes your mind off other life stresses. Customers were generally friendly, and free coffee is always a plus!

ConsThe training at my location was not very thorough, and many baristas were promoted more quickly than they should have been. Quick turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain baristas more thoroughly! Also, since my location was a licensed partner, we didn't receive discounts at regular Peets stores. Having this perk would have been really useful.

Great for a first job

Barista/Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFast-paced hours in the mornings with laid-back and cool co-workers. Everyone was always willing to answer my questions when I was lost and was very patient with me until I got the swing of things.

ConsThere wasn't really a sick-hour system while I was working there, which made getting the OK for sick-leave difficult and awkward. (More so than jobs with sick hours.)

Excellent place to be a barista

Barista (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsPeet's takes their coffee and craftsmanship very seriously. It was an excellent introduction to being a barista and I was trained very well. I was paid well and had an excellent manager.

ConsPeet's takes their coffee and craftsmanship VERY seriously. Some things they wanted us to do felt a bit forced or unnecessary (think gourmet drinks with very specific directions/specific drink descriptions to use with customers).

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!