Peet's Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.7

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Excellent product quality, sourcing of beans (in 10 reviews)

• great product best coffee and tea (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is definitely no work life balance, you are a coffee slave (in 5 reviews)

• One raise a year on a fixed percentage scale, so it's difficult to earn financial rewards for hard work (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best coffee but chill coworkers

I have been working at Peet's part-time

Pros

coworkers are for the main part cool and the managment is friendly to staff

Cons

bad coffee and the occasional crazy

Stop being so corporate

Great Place to work, but need to know the right people and be in the right place at the right time

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes rigid in their ways of doing things and can cause short sighted decisions.

It has it's great moments, but no long term plan.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Peet's is a place where you can truly bond with your co-workers because each store has a small staff. It's more personal. There is a small tier of leadership within the store so the manager interacts personally with everyone. This makes for a more controlled environment...but the fast pace keeps things interesting.

Cons

It is a place that rapidly grows your customer service skills and potential, but I found that there is not much movement upwards-- there aren't many opportunities to make a sustainable career here, plus the compensations is less than a high stress job should be. (Therefore) I would say it's a great transitional job, but don't plan on staying too long... Don't expect your co-workers to have the same standard of quality or work ethic either. Most of my co-workers were great, but some slip through the cracks :(

The early morning hours with tons of stress isn't worth minimum wage...At the end of the day, it's coffee--customers ALWAYS come back. For there to be any type of employee loyalty, you have to compensate employees accordingly. Forget the bottom line and get back to the quality that Alfred Peet started the company for. It's simple: great people + great coffee = great business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A proud peetnik

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time

Pros

Love the company culture, the product, and people. A lot to learn about the product and managing in general. I never get bored in my position. Love that everyone is so passionate and loyal to the brand. There is a lot of freedom to manage how I want in my store. I don't feel micromanaged most of the time. Company has very high standards and high expectations for its employees. Since Dave Burwick took over, there have been a lot of positive changes and things are slowly progressing.

Cons

Training program for managers is lacking. There is a lot you have left to learn even after your training is complete that would help make any new manager feel more confident, for example, a more thorough inventory management training. The company in general is 10 years behind in technology, computers are always crashing or software applications freeze, which makes for less efficient systems.

Keep investing in your people more....Leadership classes for managers could be very helpful and inspiring, especially for new managers. Listen to your employees more. Upgrade your technology systems for once and for all. Tablets could replace clunky inefficient laptops and make things faster and more user friendly!

Stressfull demanding misleading when they say independent distributor micro management by DM

Former Employee - Independent Distributor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not punching a clock & meeting new people plus being out & about by yourself or outdoors

Cons

Mcromanagment by DM,misleading when told independent & you sign a contract as a independent

Impossible

Great first job or extra cash to get you through college.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working at Peets because the work was easy, I met a LOT of interesting people in 3 years, and I got a lot of free coffee and tea.

Cons

The work is very monotonous. It's repetitive and often boring. The benefits are okay. I never could afford the whole package. The pay is very little even with SF min wage and the raises are miniscual. Also I did not like how they provided Health SF at first but when they stopped, didn't bother letting me know.

Please be as present and participating in your store as possible. When you go on vacation every other month or so it leads us to believe you are not as invested in your store or us and makes us wonder if you are prospering at out financial expense.

A job I truly love!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are selling a quality product to people who love what you have to offer. The company is really growing and there is plenty of opportunity for growth from store manager down

Cons

Once you get to store manager, moving beyond that gets difficult. There is a rule you must be a training manager of your district before you can move up. If your training manager has been doing it for years and hasn't been able to move on, you have to wait for your development until they do move on. Having to wait for someone else to develope so that I can progress has never been one of my strong suits.

Find a better way to develope store managers into district managers.

Fun job at the airport, where I met all kinds of people.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting different people/working with different people, learning about being a barista, made great tips at the airport, and fairly flexible schedule.

Cons

Franchise company was not great, perks were probably not the same as working at a Peet's in California, and towards the end of my stay with Peet's we had stay open until the last flight at night which wasn't fun.

One of the better occupations I've held

Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits with culture. Plenty of room to expand and grow within the company. There was never a sense of being stuck in any position I held. Training was the focus, with lots of real-time experience during the training process. Most mgrs. have a wealth of knowledge of product.

Cons

Some managers (beyond store level) don't address issues, and/or at times address issues inappropriate. Some issues should be taken on by the store manager since they are suppose to be the leaders for shift leads and other employees.

Don't create "new policies that may be implemented" to address issues and single out individual employees. Especially since all employee and stores talk to each other. Doesn't give good example when dishonesty is apparent in how situations are handled.

Decent company in over their head.

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

Great product, some of the best coffee in the industry, relaxed environment, embrace employee individuality, and they have a strong presence in the global community with charities.

Cons

There is no connection between the field and the home office, they have expanded too quickly without being ready for company changes resulting in the loss of many jobs and closure of stores, upper management is mediocre at best.

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!