Peet's

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.4

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Quality product, employees care about what they are selling (in 11 reviews)

• Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The job of managing basically gets passed off to shift leads, who get paid (in 12 reviews)

• They offer health care for part time but it's so expensive that it's hard to reap the benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work, but need to know the right people and be in the right place at the right time

Former Employee - District Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes rigid in their ways of doing things and can cause short sighted decisions.

A proud peetnik

Current Employee - Store Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time

Pros

Love the company culture, the product, and people. A lot to learn about the product and managing in general. I never get bored in my position. Love that everyone is so passionate and loyal to the brand. There is a lot of freedom to manage how I want in my store. I don't feel micromanaged most of the time. Company has very high standards and high expectations for its employees. Since Dave Burwick took over, there have been a lot of positive changes and things are slowly progressing.

Cons

Training program for managers is lacking. There is a lot you have left to learn even after your training is complete that would help make any new manager feel more confident, for example, a more thorough inventory management training. The company in general is 10 years behind in technology, computers are always crashing or software applications freeze, which makes for less efficient systems.

Keep investing in your people more....Leadership classes for managers could be very helpful and inspiring, especially for new managers. Listen to your employees more. Upgrade your technology systems for once and for all. Tablets could replace clunky inefficient laptops and make things faster and more user friendly!

Great first job or extra cash to get you through college.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Peets because the work was easy, I met a LOT of interesting people in 3 years, and I got a lot of free coffee and tea.

Cons

The work is very monotonous. It's repetitive and often boring. The benefits are okay. I never could afford the whole package. The pay is very little even with SF min wage and the raises are miniscual. Also I did not like how they provided Health SF at first but when they stopped, didn't bother letting me know.

Please be as present and participating in your store as possible. When you go on vacation every other month or so it leads us to believe you are not as invested in your store or us and makes us wonder if you are prospering at out financial expense.

Overworked, Favoritism, Low Morale

Current Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on location, even entry level retail associates can rack up hours to ensure they're making a living wage. Free pastries and beverages while you work - but that's not really a pro, because they're all horrifically unhealthy. If you're customer service driven it's nice to chat with regular customers.

Cons

The store I'm working at currently gives most employees less than 20 hours per week - not a living wage in the Bay Area. I've found that I frequently have to ask other stores if any of their employees called out to gain additional hours, so there's an air of competitiveness between stores and districts.
    A lot of policies and changes are being enforced that definitely favor profit over employees wellbeing, to astronomical amounts. I've had coworkers who have worked at Peet's for years and now loathe it more than anything.

Additionally - many employees who have been with the company for years have been trying to advance to shift leaders or managers - and it's just not happening. I've met many employees who resigned because they felt that they were flat out being denied advancement despite their work showing definitive proof in terms of increasing finances and customer opinion for a store.

I'm not sure if it's my specific store, but my manager is very, very strict about counts and inventory adding up. I've had shift supervisors blow up at me for milk waste (too much milk in the pitcher for steamed cafe drinks)/dropping or breaking a pastry, because our manager blew up at them for not reprimanding associates enough in general. I get the sense that, at many Peet's (seeing as I work at a few different locations to get hours to add up), expectations are set very high and the impact of that stress is incredibly 'ripple effect,' which I'm sure shows in our work, general efforts, and how we come across to customers.

A job I truly love!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Peet's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are selling a quality product to people who love what you have to offer. The company is really growing and there is plenty of opportunity for growth from store manager down

Cons

Once you get to store manager, moving beyond that gets difficult. There is a rule you must be a training manager of your district before you can move up. If your training manager has been doing it for years and hasn't been able to move on, you have to wait for your development until they do move on. Having to wait for someone else to develope so that I can progress has never been one of my strong suits.

Find a better way to develope store managers into district managers.

Fun job at the airport, where I met all kinds of people.

Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meeting different people/working with different people, learning about being a barista, made great tips at the airport, and fairly flexible schedule.

Cons

Franchise company was not great, perks were probably not the same as working at a Peet's in California, and towards the end of my stay with Peet's we had stay open until the last flight at night which wasn't fun.

It has it's great moments, but no long term plan.

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Peet's is a place where you can truly bond with your co-workers because each store has a small staff. It's more personal. There is a small tier of leadership within the store so the manager interacts personally with everyone. This makes for a more controlled environment...but the fast pace keeps things interesting.

Cons

It is a place that rapidly grows your customer service skills and potential, but I found that there is not much movement upwards-- there aren't many opportunities to make a sustainable career here, plus the compensations is less than a high stress job should be. (Therefore) I would say it's a great transitional job, but don't plan on staying too long... Don't expect your co-workers to have the same standard of quality or work ethic either. Most of my co-workers were great, but some slip through the cracks :(

The early morning hours with tons of stress isn't worth minimum wage...At the end of the day, it's coffee--customers ALWAYS come back. For there to be any type of employee loyalty, you have to compensate employees accordingly. Forget the bottom line and get back to the quality that Alfred Peet started the company for. It's simple: great people + great coffee = great business.

Stressfull demanding misleading when they say independent distributor micro management by DM

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not punching a clock & meeting new people plus being out & about by yourself or outdoors

Cons

Mcromanagment by DM,misleading when told independent & you sign a contract as a independent

Impossible

Coming from Starbucks, I couldn't ask for a better work environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No dress code, more relaxed job, lack of micromanagement, allows the shift team more insight into operations and empowers the team to make decisions that will help the team. As long as you average 21 hours a week then you get medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) which is matched at 6%.

Cons

Lack of job growth. We are a new market, so this probably isn't relevant in California or other markets, but here we are growing too slowly almost and I may become an old man before any of us have the chance to move up. Also tuition reimbursement would be a god send.

Better hours for baristas. I am perfectly fine with mine, but too often managers will hire more baristas than needed and the pool of hours is greatly diluted. This happens even though most of our baristas have fairly open availability.

A good retail job with benefits.

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Peet's (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a former Starbucks employee, I found Peet's less "corporate" (although that is changing). I thought the product was very good, and for a chain it sometimes had a very homey and personalized feel (I have worked shifts at all my area shops). The training was very good--the management at store level when I started truly believed in the product and knew a lot more about coffee and tea than what they were trained with through the company. The company offered full benefits (medical, dental, 401k, stock options, life insurance) at 20 hours a week. The schedule was fairly flexible as long as you kept in mind most of your coworkers had school schedules. Most of the customers were great where I usually worked. It was a good fast-paced yet laid-back atmosphere. I made many close friends there with both employees and customers.

Cons

I started working 35-40 hours a week which dwindled ever so gradually over six years to 20-25, which I had to keep bringing to my manager's attention. The company seems to value fewer hours and more employees. My final wage was $10.15/hr, which simply was not enough to live on, especially working so few hours.

Offer more full-time opportunites to baristas.

Peet's Photos