Peet's

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Dave Burwick

Pros
  • Quality product, employees care about what they are selling (in 11 reviews)

• Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The job of managing basically gets passed off to shift leads, who get paid (in 12 reviews)

• They offer health care for part time but it's so expensive that it's hard to reap the benefits (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, supplemental opportunity with lots and lots of coffee

Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Former Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I worked at Peet's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, free coffee, lots of customer interaction. The supervisors are friendly and, if you're interested and a half-way decent employee, you can advance to shift lead or even manager positions quite easily.

Cons

You and everything you own will smell like stale coffee. It is a transient opportunity for many since it doesn't pay great so just when you finally decide you like the other Barista you work with, she'll leave for bigger and better things.

I honestly don't have any advice to management. They are doing the best they can with the people they have and the company structure. I worked at Peet's temporarily as an opportunity to earn more money so I had not intention of making a career out of being there. For people who do, more opportunities to feel recognized would probably be good.

"OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not a bad place to work.

Cons

Not a great place to work.

Better Than Starbucks

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Better coffee than most chains and trying to improve all the time. Decent benefits. They care about their product.

Cons

Going more and more commercial and corporate. No "real" training for baristas. Not the real deal.

Implement a true training program and pay your skilled baristas what they're worth.

Great job for a few months, but as a long term job gets frustrating.

Current Employee - Barista/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Barista/Sales Associate

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every shift you work, you get a free beverage & pastry. You get a free bag of coffee or free tin of tea every week. Drip coffee is always free, even when you're off duty. Because of the small work environment, you get really close with your co-workers. Depending on what store you work at, you will have a very loyal customer base, the "regulars," and you end up forming bonds with them. I really loved going to work before I transferred locations and had a terrible manager - half of your experience with Peet's depends on whether or not you have a good manager.

Cons

Terrible training system. I've heard multiple horror stories of people who got promoted to manager and were only given a week or so of training before being given their own store. I myself experienced an incomplete training experience and even after eight months of working at Peet's and regularly working as a barista, there are still basic things I don't know how to do that I should have learned within my first month of working for the company. Compensation ($9/hr) is not worth the stress of this job, especially during morning shifts where there are lines out the door. Raises are few and far between - one of my co-workers has been with the company 3 years and has gotten a 20 cent raise once. Rather than promote people within the store, I have seen them hire outside people for shift lead and management positions, people who have never worked with Peet's before. They expect you to be the best of the best but they do not provide adequate compensation, training, or opportunities to demand that level of perfection.

Pay your employees better! We do a lot of work upholding your prestigious company name, and we deserve more than minimum wages. Also, I was hired under the impression that I would be given opportunities to move up in the company, and I quickly discovered that this was not going to be the case, because of the tendency to hire people outside of the company rather than within. Please treat your lower-level employees better.

Decent as a first time job

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling is pretty flexible for baristas, you get paid vacation hours even for part time. No dress code is also a plus. Oh, and free caffeine.

Cons

I've worked at a few different locations and they all had one thing in common... the managers are ALWAYS on vacation, probably because of the paid vacation time. They offer health care for part time but it's so expensive that it's hard to reap the benefits. The entree level pay is pretty bad, over 3 years with the company and I only got a 20 cent raise. The management is never there so hard work is often unnoticed, not worth jumping through those general retail hoops. When you're at the bottom of the totem pole this company really makes you feel like it.

Be present.

Normal Barista Job

Current Employee - Retail Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, social interaction, decent tips

Cons

Not enough opportunities to promote, flexible schedule, part time

Don't promote shadily, make it more transparent

This Company does not value its employees

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really like making coffee for people and constantly meeting new people. This job always keeps my on my toes and can be a very exciting and fun place to work. The free coffee is nice too.

Cons

This company views their retail employees as Replaceable. This is clearly evident through the discouragement to move up within the company and the lack of adequate compensation for the work that is being done. In the process of being promoted I did not hear back from the hiring manager once, they preferred to use other people to communicate with me. This lack of direct communication made me feel very replaceable and unimportant.

Pay your employees a fair wage and promote from within. I think that it is so important to promote employees from within the company. This practice encourages employees to work hard and move up. If there is no incentive to move up in the company than there is no point to working any harder than the laziest employee. If you pay your employees more than the bare minimum you will attract higher quality employees, people that are looking for something that they can stay at for longer than the few months that is takes them to find something better.

Great for Retail

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work your tail off and you get rewarded. They are great with showing you how to manage people and create leaders instead of followers. The company is optimistic about it's future, and treats the good employees well. Transparency within the company generally weeds out the crappier managers. Bonus structure is generous if you put in the time and effort to build your business. Since sales aren't a factor in maintaining employment, a manager's job could be relatively easy if they hire the right staff.

Cons

It's retail - they don't give you enough hours to accomplish what they expect you to accomplish. That's a standard within every job I've had in the industry. People who are somehow shocked by that fact blow my mind. Lower level staff could be paid more. It's pretty embarrassing every year to give a hard worker a 45 cent raise for their "exceeds expectations" score on a review.

Invest more in your lower level staff. You expect a very high level of service, yet expect to pay your entry level staff at the same rate a service station attendant makes.

An overconfident company with no knowledge of the Midwest consumer

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peet's has a good product. Co-workers and managers are fun to work with.

Cons

The company assumes that its product is well-known and will be well-received when it enters a new market and, so, does nothing to promote it thereby dooming stores to poor sales. Raises are few and far between. Company is West Coast based and as such clearly favors the employees and stores on that side of the country.

District managers and regional managers need to be more receptive to input from those at the store level who have day to day contact with customers.

Great Place to work, but need to know the right people and be in the right place at the right time

Former Employee - District Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Committed to employees' unique attributes and their work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes rigid in their ways of doing things and can cause short sighted decisions.

Peet's Photos