Peet's

www.peets.com
Profile Unclaimed

Coming from Starbucks, I couldn't ask for a better work environment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No dress code, more relaxed job, lack of micromanagement, allows the shift team more insight into operations and empowers the team to make decisions that will help the team. As long as you average 21 hours a week then you get medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) which is matched at 6%.

Cons

Lack of job growth. We are a new market, so this probably isn't relevant in California or other markets, but here we are growing too slowly almost and I may become an old man before any of us have the chance to move up. Also tuition reimbursement would be a god send.

Better hours for baristas. I am perfectly fine with mine, but too often managers will hire more baristas than needed and the pool of hours is greatly diluted. This happens even though most of our baristas have fairly open availability.

A good retail job with benefits.

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Peet's (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a former Starbucks employee, I found Peet's less "corporate" (although that is changing). I thought the product was very good, and for a chain it sometimes had a very homey and personalized feel (I have worked shifts at all my area shops). The training was very good--the management at store level when I started truly believed in the product and knew a lot more about coffee and tea than what they were trained with through the company. The company offered full benefits (medical, dental, 401k, stock options, life insurance) at 20 hours a week. The schedule was fairly flexible as long as you kept in mind most of your coworkers had school schedules. Most of the customers were great where I usually worked. It was a good fast-paced yet laid-back atmosphere. I made many close friends there with both employees and customers.

Cons

I started working 35-40 hours a week which dwindled ever so gradually over six years to 20-25, which I had to keep bringing to my manager's attention. The company seems to value fewer hours and more employees. My final wage was $10.15/hr, which simply was not enough to live on, especially working so few hours.

Offer more full-time opportunites to baristas.

Great

I worked at Peet's

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome

Cons

Not enough pay to live on if you pay rent

Pay more

One of the better occupations I've held

Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead/Bar Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits with culture. Plenty of room to expand and grow within the company. There was never a sense of being stuck in any position I held. Training was the focus, with lots of real-time experience during the training process. Most mgrs. have a wealth of knowledge of product.

Cons

Some managers (beyond store level) don't address issues, and/or at times address issues inappropriate. Some issues should be taken on by the store manager since they are suppose to be the leaders for shift leads and other employees.

Don't create "new policies that may be implemented" to address issues and single out individual employees. Especially since all employee and stores talk to each other. Doesn't give good example when dishonesty is apparent in how situations are handled.

A fun challenge

Former Contractor - Barista/Sales Associate
    Former Contractor - Barista/Sales Associate

I worked at Peet's as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The interview process was very easy and I heard back from them just a few days after my interview. I worked at a Peet's in Marin County. I got a few raises throughout my time there and also made tips which was nice. It was easy to request time off and they are very flexible with the schedule. Overall I have nothing bad to say about this company. I had a positive experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

As a part time employee you don't get any benefits. And since it is a coffee shop there are days where you have to be there at 4 AM.

Great part time job

Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Peet's values individual employees and training them well. A fun work environment that emphasized knowledge and quality products.

Cons

My store was a unorganized in terms of management and scheduling. It seemed as if it was constantly in flux, and there were times I was not sure who my manager was. If that were to get sorted out, it would be an ideal part time job.

Lead Barista

Former Employee - Student Lead Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Lead Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job is fun and takes your mind off other life stresses. Customers were generally friendly, and free coffee is always a plus!

Cons

The training at my location was not very thorough, and many baristas were promoted more quickly than they should have been. Quick turnover rate.

Train baristas more thoroughly! Also, since my location was a licensed partner, we didn't receive discounts at regular Peets stores. Having this perk would have been really useful.

Decent company in over their head.

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

Great product, some of the best coffee in the industry, relaxed environment, embrace employee individuality, and they have a strong presence in the global community with charities.

Cons

There is no connection between the field and the home office, they have expanded too quickly without being ready for company changes resulting in the loss of many jobs and closure of stores, upper management is mediocre at best.

Company isn't what it used to be. Best coworkers anyone can ask for

Former Employee - Shift Lead in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed staff that are friendly. Staff are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about coffee and tea.

Cons

Ever since the owner died, the people in charge have been number crunching. It's a moot point trying to catch and match Starbucks.

Please make your own brand, stop trying to compete with Starbucks. It's impossible to do so

Excellent place to be a barista

Former Employee - Barista in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Barista in Madison, WI

I worked at Peet's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Peet's takes their coffee and craftsmanship very seriously. It was an excellent introduction to being a barista and I was trained very well. I was paid well and had an excellent manager.

Cons

Peet's takes their coffee and craftsmanship VERY seriously. Some things they wanted us to do felt a bit forced or unnecessary (think gourmet drinks with very specific directions/specific drink descriptions to use with customers).

Peet's Photos