Pegasystems Reviews in Cambridge, MA

Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

Pegasystems Chairman and CEO Alan Trefler
Alan Trefler

Pros
  • Great work life balance, amazing place to see technologies come together to solve real world problems (in 23 reviews)

• Interesting Product and some smart people left (but they're nearly all gone or retired) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is not balanced, even if you have young children (in 18 reviews)

• no onsite for professional services mobility (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extremely nice, hardworking people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at Pega for a few months, but I've already felt firsthand how much the company invests in its employees. Hard work pays off and is rewarded.

Solid group of diverse, hardworking individuals. I love the fact that I get to work with teams from around the world.

Good perks too. I get free parking near downtown Boston and on top of my regular vacation package I get 2 days off to use for voluteering/charity work.

Cons

Growing pains here and there as we're expanding, but nothing out of the normal.

Continue to listen to and trust your staff. They know the company best.

Challenging and dynamic

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, interesting and hard problems, good location, great benefits, growing company, lots of opportunities, never bored, always challenged, fast paced, rewards results

Cons

Can be very top down management at times, lots of growing pains around process, very reactionary which can be frustrating, politics take a while to navigate

Business Development Consultant

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leading BPM provider in the market. The company has a feel of a start-up and yet well established. True management transparency with open door policy. Team collaboration across the company despite geographical limitations. I would recommend everyone to work at Pegasystems in a heart beat.

Cons

The company seems to never stop growing and might seem a bit fast-paced for those who want to stay in the same position forever.

Open the product up to accommodate other market segments, especially growth markets. There is a tremendous need for the product in other geographies.

Quiet company for middle level software engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very nice culture and friendly people, the environment is not an issue and people get along really well.

Cons

not much way for career development

demonstrate a little more generosity in dealing with employees

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product, smart, passionate people who are committed. CEO really cares and is deeply engaged but also open to listening to opposing views. Growing fast and lots of opportunities for like minded.

Cons

The self service approach to beneifts and policies can be challenging when you are new. Would love to see more formalized onboarding for new employees.

Employees woud love more exposure to you. Find the time to walk around, spend more time with employees. When you do it pays off.

Bad Management - big on ego

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice location if you are in the City area.

Cons

I worked at Pega for over 1 year. One of my worst career move. I had the worst experience in-terms of any technical lead. I found it difficult to get across my ideas to management, which they did like hearing but didnt act or let me act on it. Always focusing on exiting PRPC Rules product, which looks good on paper but has extremely muddled technology. You are recruited telling you will learn different technologies (Java, JS, Mysql etc) but believe me, you will primarily be working on layer above - PRPC gui.

Empower people you hire to make positive changes. Lower your ego of PRPC knowledge, connections, clicks within the company.

Management will DESTROY this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The office chairs - that's the only pro I can think of. They were very comfortable.

Cons

Where do I begin? Firstly - upper management is an out of control, tyrannical dictatorship. They will fire anyone and everyone that does not conform to their impossibly high standards. This goes double for the new CMO and his cohorts. Never before have I heard of such displeasure from my fellow coworkers on how badly this company is run. Secondly - Pega discriminates against it's current and potential employees. From upper management to HR, the employees in charge of hiring are disgraceful bigots. Thirdly - unless you are part of the management team, most employees are treated like second class citizens.

I have no advice for management because they would never consider it. They are too concerned with company image.

Good people, bad management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting problems to solve. Smart people who work hard to make the product better. Geeky culture, if that appeals to you. Decent pay. Some good managers.

Cons

Constantly shifting direction. New rolling release schedule makes it crunch time ALL THE TIME. Overseas expansion designed to undercut local salaries. Ridiculous timelines and poorly-implemented scrum methodologies lead to cut corners and glitchy code. Whole departments run by recalcitrant do-nothings. Pointless fiefdoms and bickering between managers.

Make a plan and follow through. Lose the dead weight in upper management. Implement scrum how the consultants told you. Stop chasing contracts; we're a big company now. Let's just build something that works, and let the customers come to us.

A good growing company

Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is strong, has good people and products. Overall happy but the company and culture are changing and waiting to see which way things go.

Cons

Work/life balance isn't always easy. The company is heavily metrics driven and sometimes they need to stop and take a qualitative view.

Just Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location is good. Near the green and red line and not in Boston so less of a traffic issue. The benefits are pretty good. Those are really the only good things.

Cons

-Clunky, badly designed product. It's as if the products were developed for the sake of developing. Slow-loading, ugly to look at (even the most current 2014 versions). Honestly, don't understand why any client would choose their limiting software over a more common development solution. More money for less scalability and less adaptive software.
    -Pay is not very competitive.
    -Awful management that only cares about advancing their own careers (don't rock the boat). This seems to be the trend across all frameworks.
    -Very corporate. EVERYTHING is political. And consequently it takes months to get even simple things done. They surround the old-school managers with young people but it's all smoke and mirrors. This is an "old" feeling company, not an agile, young one.
    -Because of the corporate nature, there's very little room for advancement. The mangers are "lifers" and they seem to only promote people who either shmooze with them or who are also lifers. Feels like a dead end, and going to work gets tedious.

Take a look at who your managers are. Break up the circle of buddies who aren't interested in keeping pace with the modern software world. Get rid of the base PRPC team of developers and designers and start over with capable people who want to create GOOD software. Right now it's just revisions of the same dated product, and it's past showing its age. It's virtually unusable.