Pegasystems

Updated February 26, 2015
3.5

Pegasystems Chairman and CEO Alan Trefler
Alan Trefler

Pros
  • Great work life balance, amazing place to see technologies come together to solve real world problems (in 22 reviews)

• Interesting Product and some smart people left (but they're nearly all gone or retired) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is not balanced, even if you have young children (in 20 reviews)

• no onsite for professional services mobility (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity to advance quickly for right fit

Current Contractor - Sourcer
    Current Contractor - Sourcer

I have been working at Pegasystems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pega is full of very smart people and rewards those who want a career not a job (if the latter is you then you won't like it here)

Cons

Often the process of the end result hinders the efficiency but is necessary in a company that allows for individual freedom to design "the means to the ends." Also, the compensation is a bit below the leaders in the space but average in the market.

Needs better training programs and overall development. It's definitely a trial by fire mentality with little guidance.

Complex product and sales methodology; even more complicated office politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The product is solid. The resiliency of the company is inspiring; redesigning the product again and again until the company was a success in the market. The real-life applications of the software are great to see as an employee invested in the success of the company. The majority of people are bright, intellectual and creative.
    The hours were flexible, although I'm sure this was dependent on your manager. Collaborative work environment amongst teams. The HR benefits are competitive in the industry (good insurance, more than fair amount time off, 401k match)

Cons

The C-Level executives are all middle aged white men, with giant egos. The lack of diversity in high level management is shocking. The new Chief Marketing Officer created an incredibly hostile work environment for many people. Moving out entire departments he found "ineffective" if anyone challenged him (even in a productive way). Contractors are allowed to call the shots. It's a game of favorites, and the practices are not always ethical. Authority and influence are in the wrong hands threatening job security for many. If your interests fall on the technology side, this is a great company for engineers. If your interests fall in sales or marketing, proceed with caution.

Recruitment and retention are concepts every big business is discussing. Do not electively push out good, talented, driven individuals. Empower your people to succeed. Create better on-boarding - the sink or swim mentality is outdated. Worry more about leading than about managing. The constant need for power is debilitating to a productive work environment.

Good place to get experience. Smart people.

I worked at Pegasystems

Pros

Exposure to new technology. Company has had rapid growth globally. Fair salary and benefits.

Cons

No life/work balance. No voice with managment. Managers don't like to take advice from employees. As growth has occurred, people are pushed further and further away from from contributing. More linear approach to management.

Add diverse voices to decision making. Value people as people.

Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of Pega is the dedicated, hardworking and committed employees. Great people.

The technology continues to be the best in the market and the companies growth trajectory looks good. Benefits are decent and salary moderately competitive. Office location rocks and employee-initiated after work decompression tanks is good.

Been here a long time and seen a lot of change. Most good and needed. Company direction is clearer and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cons

There looks to be a mass exodus going in marketing+. References like toxic, broken, dysfunctional and contractors running the show flood the hallways and concalls. It's strange because marketing people are supposed to upbeat and positive yet they seem lost and stressed.

Pega is built for change but this change in the marketing air does not look good. Look up guys and see that there's something wrong over there.

Evaluate your marketing leadership and inflict change.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Revenues are "magically" growing ...

Cons

Lot of dead weight; upper management and mid-management has been at the company for way too long. Most of them only know the Pega way to do things; unfortunately, as a result of that poor decisions are made. Team members who are part of the inner club are taken care off despite their job performance, skills, etc.

Sadly, there is no gender/racial diversity at the top!

Growing Software Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company was a good one to work for. The benefits were very good, including paying the first $200 per month for a transit pass. The culture was very positive, with a lot of friendly competent people, who were, for the most part, easy to deal with.

Cons

The company has grown significantly in the past few years, both in worldwide locations and personnel. For a long period of time, the employee population was around 600 - 650. When I left several months ago, the employee population was approaching 3,000. I worked in an employee service division. Unfortunately, our staffing did not grow to support the increased number of employees. The expectations were out of whack with what we actually had the time to do, causing a lot of stress.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great location to be in and a truly unique product to work on. They actively try to use improve their scrum technique and the whole company is oriented around scrum.

Cons

Development feels siloed because of the way teams are organized. Once you are a developer for a certain area it's very hard to switch or try something new. And scrum rules and guidlines are valued and respected by the scrum team way more than the product owners. When a deadline is percieved scrum technique is pushed out of the window.

Micromanagement is a big issue. Managers (product owners and team managers) should be held accountable with a better feedback loop.

Great culture

Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, supportive family style environment. Plenty of training and support

Cons

Management is a bit staid. Product requires tribal knowledge to work with.

medium size company with small feel

I worked at Pegasystems

Pros

very friendly employees, not much company politics on a day-to-day level

Cons

work can be more intellectually engaging

show team more value

Great Summer Internship

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a marketing intern and ended up doing a lot of work for the sales call team as well. The people were positive and motivated, and it was obvious that most of them were there because they really believe in the Pega product. My hourly wage was rather generous, I thought, coming from working student jobs at my university. At the time that I interned, the marketing department's intern program was still being established; perks and time-off policies were not part of my experience, although I personally have family who work there full-time and their time-off always seems very flexible. One day coming out of the office I happened to catch the company CEO heading out the door at the same time. He was busy, but he stopped just long enough to shake my hand and let me introduce myself.

The sales team that I worked with was small, just three people besides myself. We shared cubes that backed onto one another, so there was a lot of back-and-forth talking all day long. The general office atmosphere was friendly and uptempo with both sales and marketing.

Cons

I am not a tech person, and everything I picked up about the Pega product I learned from listening to others talk about it and from company documents. To this day I don't think I could properly explain what the product is. Yes, I was a marketing intern and had almost no reason to fully understand the technical aspects of the product, but it would have been nice to have more knowledge available. There was no formal training at the time I was there, but this has likely changed over time. I disliked the amount of swearing that I heard on the sales team, but I realize that this is a personal preference.

Keep up the great work. The product is good and your people know it, which is awesome. That is such an uncommon experience. Remember that your employees really love what they do and help maintain that atmosphere. Even with the limited understanding I have of what we do, I still caught the Pega vision and really enjoyed my time at the company.