Pegasystems Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Pegasystems Chairman and CEO Alan Trefler
Alan Trefler

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, Lot to learn, lot of cultural events and fun environment (in 17 reviews)

• The product set is fantastic, and there are a lot of very smart people who work Pega (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is not balanced, even if you have young children (in 16 reviews)

• no onsite for professional services mobility (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A race to the bottom!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time

Pros

The best thing I can think of it lots of people switch roles/departments - The company has always seemed pretty open to this.

The work/life balance in engineering has always been decent, and it was rare that there were late-night crunch sessions. Those have been getting more frequent, but from what I hear about other companies, we’re still below what is considered “normal.”

Cons

I wouldn't recommend this company to a soul, and I've watch it go downhill for years. Let the following serve as a warning.

The problems start with Alan Trefler. He runs the company the way he wants it, and you can’t go against his will. While Pega has a defined culture the HR team loves to talk about, it’s a complete lie. The real company culture is “just get it done.” Is the work pointless, heading down a wrong path? Just get it done. Will it actively cause problems for customers or even internal employees? Just get it done.

But go further down the chain and it gets worse. The culture leads to the departments fighting against each other. They only care about getting their own work done, so everyone (clients included) get placed on the back burner.

The number of excellent people that get fed up and leave has risen steadily and they aren't being replaced. Pega has decided that replacing quality with short-term fixes is the future, so they refuse to staff people that are needed in its own headquarters and they rave about how the India office regularly hires so many developers. But where do most of our bugs and unreadable code come from? And did you know that some major product features are staffed by teams that have been dwindling for years? These things are regularly joked about in Cambridge Engineering.

Engineering worldwide is led by someone who literally sits in his office all day, and makes no effort to know the people that work for him - even if they sit in the team room literally next to his door! Then once a year, he tells Engineering that quality is suddenly a major focus, despite the fact that a year full of corporate decisions promoted the opposite. Recently, he even said we were going to improve our scrum practices, and then literally laid out the waterfall method.

This brings up communication. There’s no trust between groups, so communication doesn't happen. In fact, some managers actively withhold vital information to improve how they look. It’s no wonder that people who have been there for a while and know how to play the politics game keep getting promoted, while brilliant people at the bottom look for work elsewhere.

I could keep going on about the not-great pay, the fact that team rooms actually destroy the social structure, or the fact that coding in Pega means you’ll get weaker in other languages. But the bottom line is that Pega is a terrible company to work for. If you get an interview here, just use it as leverage for a better offer elsewhere.

Replace the entirety of the C-level management. Or just keep doing what you’re doing so that the company will keep going downhill and die. It’s only a matter of time before some startup does what Pega can do, better.

Just get it done!

P.S. Higher ratings are given higher visibility when people rate them as helpful, so just invert all the stars on this review.

Great company, friendly atmosphere

I have been working at Pegasystems

Pros

Great employee benefits and compensation

Cons

Very fast paced and results driven environment

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product, smart, passionate people who are committed. CEO really cares and is deeply engaged but also open to listening to opposing views. Growing fast and lots of opportunities for like minded.

Cons

The self service approach to beneifts and policies can be challenging when you are new. Would love to see more formalized onboarding for new employees.

Employees woud love more exposure to you. Find the time to walk around, spend more time with employees. When you do it pays off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, bad management

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting problems to solve. Smart people who work hard to make the product better. Geeky culture, if that appeals to you. Decent pay. Some good managers.

Cons

Constantly shifting direction. New rolling release schedule makes it crunch time ALL THE TIME. Overseas expansion designed to undercut local salaries. Ridiculous timelines and poorly-implemented scrum methodologies lead to cut corners and glitchy code. Whole departments run by recalcitrant do-nothings. Pointless fiefdoms and bickering between managers.

Make a plan and follow through. Lose the dead weight in upper management. Implement scrum how the consultants told you. Stop chasing contracts; we're a big company now. Let's just build something that works, and let the customers come to us.

Gets Better Every Year. I Love Pega

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Culture, Inspirational CEO, Great Work-Life Balance, Wonderful Product, Innovative, Open Door Policy, Fun. You will love coming to work everyday. It is all about attitude. If you work hard here and show self-initiative and thought leadership and prepare you will get to work on some great problems.

Cons

Managers should follow the CEO and lead from the field. Some managers tend to be mostly administrative and lead from an ivory tower.

Make managers get more involved in projects and provide real direction and constructive feedback to AE/SC team. Make managers attend as many onsite meetings as possible and contribute to overall account strategy. A coach is at every game and will go through plays whenever possible.

Great company making integration technology for many platforms and channels(mobile, web) to provide work management

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, amazing place to see technologies come together to solve real world problems.

Cons

Depending on your role the technology can be a challenge to learn. If you are a build engineer...java helps...if you are an implementation engineer...forget you ever learned java...it only hurts you.

I think they are on the right track..expanding the platform to include various technologies, fair comp., and they do nice things for their employees...holidays(they recognize global holidays across cultures), company parties, etc.

A good growing company

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is strong, has good people and products. Overall happy but the company and culture are changing and waiting to see which way things go.

Cons

Work/life balance isn't always easy. The company is heavily metrics driven and sometimes they need to stop and take a qualitative view.

Management will DESTROY this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The office chairs - that's the only pro I can think of. They were very comfortable.

Cons

Where do I begin? Firstly - upper management is an out of control, tyrannical dictatorship. They will fire anyone and everyone that does not conform to their impossibly high standards. This goes double for the new CMO and his cohorts. Never before have I heard of such displeasure from my fellow coworkers on how badly this company is run. Secondly - Pega discriminates against it's current and potential employees. From upper management to HR, the employees in charge of hiring are disgraceful bigots. Thirdly - unless you are part of the management team, most employees are treated like second class citizens.

I have no advice for management because they would never consider it. They are too concerned with company image.

Rigid Culture - low diversity in US

Current Employee - Remote Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Remote Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong ratings by Gartner and Forrester. Full of very smart technology people.

Cons

Founder and his inner circle rigidly define how things get done - innovation and new ideas by staff are not valued. Very few women and ethnic diversity in US and even fewer in leadership roles. Promotion to management roles given to those with many years even when they lack management and people skills. Culture of fault finding rather than supportive and collaborative to solve problems.

They won't be interested or likely to act on any advice.

Good Company

I have been working at Pegasystems

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay, great client base

Cons

Work life balance is missing in few areas

Worked for Pegasystems? Contribute to the Community!