Pegasystems

Updated January 21, 2015
3.6

Pegasystems Chairman and CEO Alan Trefler
Alan Trefler

Pros
  • Great work life balance, amazing place to see technologies come together to solve real world problems (in 22 reviews)

• Interesting Product and some smart people left (but they're nearly all gone or retired) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is not balanced, even if you have young children (in 20 reviews)

• no onsite for professional services mobility (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity to advance quickly for right fit

Current Employee - Sourcer
    Current Employee - Sourcer

I have been working at Pegasystems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pega is full of very smart people and rewards those who want a career not a job (if the latter is you then you won't like it here)

Cons

Often the process of the end result hinders the efficiency but is necessary in a company that allows for individual freedom to design "the means to the ends." Also, the compensation is a bit below the leaders in the space but average in the market.

Needs better training programs and overall development. It's definitely a trial by fire mentality with little guidance.

Growing Software Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company was a good one to work for. The benefits were very good, including paying the first $200 per month for a transit pass. The culture was very positive, with a lot of friendly competent people, who were, for the most part, easy to deal with.

Cons

The company has grown significantly in the past few years, both in worldwide locations and personnel. For a long period of time, the employee population was around 600 - 650. When I left several months ago, the employee population was approaching 3,000. I worked in an employee service division. Unfortunately, our staffing did not grow to support the increased number of employees. The expectations were out of whack with what we actually had the time to do, causing a lot of stress.

Great Summer Internship

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a marketing intern and ended up doing a lot of work for the sales call team as well. The people were positive and motivated, and it was obvious that most of them were there because they really believe in the Pega product. My hourly wage was rather generous, I thought, coming from working student jobs at my university. At the time that I interned, the marketing department's intern program was still being established; perks and time-off policies were not part of my experience, although I personally have family who work there full-time and their time-off always seems very flexible. One day coming out of the office I happened to catch the company CEO heading out the door at the same time. He was busy, but he stopped just long enough to shake my hand and let me introduce myself.

The sales team that I worked with was small, just three people besides myself. We shared cubes that backed onto one another, so there was a lot of back-and-forth talking all day long. The general office atmosphere was friendly and uptempo with both sales and marketing.

Cons

I am not a tech person, and everything I picked up about the Pega product I learned from listening to others talk about it and from company documents. To this day I don't think I could properly explain what the product is. Yes, I was a marketing intern and had almost no reason to fully understand the technical aspects of the product, but it would have been nice to have more knowledge available. There was no formal training at the time I was there, but this has likely changed over time. I disliked the amount of swearing that I heard on the sales team, but I realize that this is a personal preference.

Keep up the great work. The product is good and your people know it, which is awesome. That is such an uncommon experience. Remember that your employees really love what they do and help maintain that atmosphere. Even with the limited understanding I have of what we do, I still caught the Pega vision and really enjoyed my time at the company.

Great culture

Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, supportive family style environment. Plenty of training and support

Cons

Management is a bit staid. Product requires tribal knowledge to work with.

Good size company to work for - experiencing growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although it is by no means small, the company is small enough to get things done - and big enough that things that get done matter.

Cons

The company has been growing fast. The challenge will be to change only those elements that must change to support a bigger business, but keep the small-company agility and information flow that has helped make Pega successful.

See the Cons above. Don't create silos.

medium size company with small feel

I worked at Pegasystems

Pros

very friendly employees, not much company politics on a day-to-day level

Cons

work can be more intellectually engaging

show team more value

Phenomenal company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, great business, great culture, great benefits

Cons

Company has grown and continues to grow fast, so some processes / infrastructure need to be enhanced. However, there is good awareness of this and steps are being taken to improve

Hire a mix of junior and senior talent. Hire more women. Continue to invest in infrastructure and tools

Terrible Culture, Stable Business

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The business is stable. Their current customer base is strong and it's hard to move away from the product so there's a lot of stickiness which makes it a reliable place to build a career.

The people there are really nice.

Cons

Everything runs through the CEO and he holds people back from being innovative or doing what's best for the business. Too bad. The morale at the company is pretty low and don't work here if you're looking for an innovative place where you can grow your career and problem solving abilities.

Empower others and begin to resemble a true technology company.

Not Striving for Success, Quantifying Failure

Current Employee - Sourcer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours, depending on how well you are liked. Some people receive the opportunity to work from home, while others do not.

Cons

Communication is extremely lacking, and there is very little honestly present. The recruiting and HR groups both have very high turnover for a reason. Before joining Pega, I would suggest that you ask someone who was previously in that role, or one of the more than 50% of the group that is actively looking to leave.

Pega is a great way to enter into corporate recruiting, but a location where you should limit your time if you indeed look to join. The majority of your week will be spent quantifying everything that you do from phone calls to emails. This is the basis for the title of this review.

I will warn you that every thing that you do will be micromanaged to the tenth degree. Communication will be nonexistent as well. The greatest issues come from the HR management to Recruiting management. The majority of the middle management is also extremely unqualified. The manager of recruiting lacks a personality and is an awful communicator. He will stab you in the back, as he has many others. The management is very dry and will not listen to anything that you tell them.

I am writhing this review because the reputation of the recruiting department is so poor, they specifically asked us to add more reviews. We now have a corporate Glassdoor account so that the poor reviews (Where there are many) can be commented on so that we look more personable.

Again, I would strongly suggest that you speak to a former employee so that you can avoid the same mistake of joining them as many of us have.

Listen to your employees and their comments instead of pretending to and not changing anything

Top down, ego driven and little support for new hires.

Former Employee - Practice Leader in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Practice Leader in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Pegasystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good market penetration. Plenty of work to do. Salaries are fairly competitive. Decent benefits.

Cons

Top-down management style (with many questionable decisions coming from the upper tiers).
    The CEO's ego is unmatched...he gave Steve Jobs a run for his money in terms of his ability to infuriate and alienate friends and foes alike. Several businesses have moved to Appian because of it.
    Work/Life balance is ludicrous - 60-70+ hour work weeks are the norm.

Begin working to change out old, study execs and managers that lack a modern approach to business. Don't triage every project simply because it's yellow and the triage team needs work to do (that results in folks spending more time generating data and/or managing toward Pega rather than the client).