Pegasystems

Pegasystems Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Pegasystems Chairman and CEO Alan Trefler

Alan Trefler

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, Lot to learn, lot of cultural events and fun environment"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Interesting Product and some smart people left (but they're nearly all gone or retired)"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, little work/life balance but they are flexible on working remote"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Professional Services leadership only interested in 50% margins and not customer success"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tremendous Room for Growth in an Emerging Powerhouse

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExciting, complex technology in a growing PRPC ecosystem. Takes years to master the intricacies of the product, and never a dull moment in the process. A lot of growth opportunities in the Engineering department where rotation and acceleration programs help us learn all facets of the technology and the business. Hard work, many challenges. Not for the faint of heart. Smart, creative and persistent people can make a difference and develop a significant career at Pega. Growing population of strong women in the department. Annual hackathon a great chance to develop cool product innovations. Great internship program. Culture is team based, fun, intense. Game nights, "Geek Nights", anniversary celebrations. Pega works hard and plays hard. Customer base is world-class. Takes time to get your footing (on-boarding is long) but a lot of satisfaction in actually making a difference to how businesses use technology. PRPC does amazing stuff after you figure out everything it can do.

ConsReally, really complicated product. Downside to the pros is how long it takes to learn it. Company is growing rapidly so experiencing some growth pains. Pega can be addictive, so consciously need to manage work-life balance. Excellent working from home policies - flexible. Remember to breathe, and laugh.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink globally and remember that the bulk of the workforce exists in India and Europe. Include more international and diverse perspectives in planning processes. Share customer success stories more broadly.

Good while it lasted

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPotential for big elephant. Some big payout in sales, though very few.

ConsFeast or famine. Have to have the right accounts or can be many years without sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to add women to the boys club. Remove the people that are disrespectful and rude to their co-workers, don't keep promoting them. They have ruined the culture.

Exciting company, but inconsistent professionalism.

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time

ProsPeople are bought into the potential of the product, and there are opportunities for those who want to work within a growing but unstable company. In general, people here are very bright and motivated to succeed. A lot of great talent in the Professional Services group.

ConsMicro managing doesn't do justice to the control that occurs in several places across this company. Disrespect is acceptable when "The person deserves it". Please note that the disrespect and micro managing occur within some groups, but not others. The Human Resources leadership is absolutely the worst I've seen in this industry, and region.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly understand your current and desired values, and remove those who treat others disrespectfully. Recognize that you have not developed a culture of respect, and some very bad behaviors are occurring at all levels, especially the most senior levels where people are protected. Promote an open door policy where people can feel safe to speak to people above their managers or leadership team level, and reveal what really occurs on a daily basis. Stop beating up the Marketing team, support them, fund them, and let the new leader make some decisions. Fire and then hire a new Human Resources leadership team. Let the new Human Resource team guide you to become more of a respectful and professional organization.

Not a place for traditional Software Engineers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than a year

ProsGood location - close to city area. Product which has gaining market share

ConsAs a Software engineer you want to apply what you have learned (school & elsewhere) and learn new technologies. But at Pega, you will be limited to only working around there product (PRPC). There are few teams, which work on widely used technologies, but rest (majority) are working on the by product (PRPC) layer, where you only learn about the product. You will gain domain expertise but at the expense of loosing you traditional coding skills. If you like to stick with widely use software engineering technologies, I would highly recommend you stay away from Pega. Besides this, the management seems to have a lot of ego, new comers will have to listen to them else get sidelined.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people with ideas & stop presenting there ideas as your own.

Industry-specific leader still with Pega after 13 years!

Industry Principal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcited customers realizing amazing business value and transformation using Pega software. Making a real difference in healthcare - cutting out waste, improving care and enhancing quality.

ConsDown side of our entreprenurial spirit is we tend to lose focus on long term goals. Highly matrixed organization means accountability and prioritization sometimes suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize the business lines to support team work and sustained focus on customer success.

Good growth opportunities

Recruiter (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Pegasystems as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- treat their contractors as full-time employees
- good training, mentorship available
- excellent work/life balance

ConsNo cons yet, as far as I can see.

Great engineers, terrible processes

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time

ProsLots of exceptionally sharp engineers

ConsManagement can't decide what to do this week. Little fiefdoms of functionality. Antiquated techniques and tools.

Old Boy Club Proliferates

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA few great managers can make it worthwhile. Strong team bonds. Smart people. Bene's are good, salaries are competitive.

ConsGood Ol' boy exec team. No women allowed. They don't listen to their customers or build for their customer's needs. All of prod mktg sit on throne and build for the king ... none have ever built an app for real use by humans, but they sure can design stuff people can't use. Vps should focus on their respective roles and not focus on things they "think" they know. Let the ones with the expertise, do their jobs. Long hours, little work/life balance but they are flexible on working remote.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few good exec women, round out the sr mgmt team, get rid of the deadweight. Share the wealth and give back to your employees who helped make your riches.

Interesting work, great customers, but challenges remain

I have been working at Pegasystems full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting powerful technology, great customers, great place to learn

ConsCustomer focus needs to improve in terms of product development.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, add diversity at senior levels.

Overall, a good Company for those that can perform and tolerate the nonsense.

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Pegasystems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood product, great people in the trenches, market leadership position of strength, well positioned for a long run.

ConsToo many big egos in senior management that do not add value. Compensation has been reduced in order to drive stock value. Top performers will not stay for the long term as a result. Professional Services leadership only interested in 50% margins and not customer success. Must learn to bite your tongue to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you've been to a big company before. Start sharing the wealth with those who deliver. Recognize which leaders are anything but.

Worked for Pegasystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pegasystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pegasystems CEO Alan Trefler. All 152 reviews posted anonymously by Pegasystems employees.