Pei Wei Asian Diner

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
3.1

Russell Owens

Pros
  • The pay is decent when you include the occasional tips (in 4 reviews)

• fast paced, good atmosphere, team oriented (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Thus, at any one time about 40-60% of the hourly employees working in the front of house positions will have very little idea what they're doing (in 2 reviews)

• Typical Restaurant quality of life (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

very good.

Former Employee - Server  in  Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time for more than a year

Pros

time off, good training, manager was awesome.

Cons

upper management, low pay, good,

A simple to do job, but quite a lot of work, and some very poor management for employees.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management here was very fast to train me and get me working. You not only learn how to be a cashier, you also learn about being a busboy, a server, and knowing what is in each dish and how it should look. They teach you to do everything as fast and efficient as possible, which is a great trait to learn and develop for many other jobs. Oh and if you have a nice manager on duty, they will usually give you free food to take home, which is really nice!

Cons

Sometimes when it wasn't busy or just semi-busy (hardly ever), the regular manager would send me and others home earlier than we wanted to go. One day I headed to work, was about to walk through the door and the manager told me to go back home... Not even a phone call!! It seemed very unprofessional of him to waste my time like that, when I could have made other plans... Not to mention the money I lost that day.

Also, when I requested to take time off to visit home for the holidays (I was a full time college student back then), I called back when I made it back to the city and they wouldn't call me back about when I should work. Then I found out like a week later that they hired a bunch of new people over the holidays, not even telling me that I was replaced and not needed. The manager said to call them in like 2 months and see if I wanted to come back... Of course I didn't want to after that.

Please call or inform your employees on days they don't need to show up. Also, be professional and warn your employees that they could be replaced if they take time off... That seemed very immature of the management to not even inform me, and it confused me as to wether they fired me or just let me go.

Ehhh

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros

Not much felxible work hrs

Cons

Everything els people don't take there job seriously

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad They Hired Me At 16 Years Old, Not Too Happy Beyond That.

Former Employee - Front of House Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Front of House Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for more than a year

Pros

Better starting pay than minimum wage (slightly), good food (which makes the employee discount useable), good training.

Cons

Poor management (didn't give me a 6-month review which prevented a raise), high employee turnover, office politics mean everything.

Find better GMs because better GMs will find better kitchen/FOH managers. That provides a stable management level, and in turn provides a stable work environment for lower-level employees. Knowing that the managers are there to stay alleviates most of the office politics and ensures that experienced/veteran employees are treated as such. I was the second longest-employed FOH employee out of about 15 when I left, and I left because I had no opportunity for advancement and I was still being payed the base wage. What really upset me was that new-hires for the same position were getting paid $1 more per hour than I was. That's not how I believe an experienced and loyal employee should be treated.

Needs A Better Overall System / Process

Former Employee - Key Hourly  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Key Hourly in Columbus, OH

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Chance for limited. advancement. If you stick to it and perform competently, you will likely make it to Key Hourly.
     - You get a solid discount on food, and if you become Key Hourly, you get a free meal per shift. This helps when you're pretty poor and food can be scarce, otherwise.
     - Scheduling is nicely flexible when fully staffed. Often get the shifts you request, if not the hours.

Cons

- The system does not work. Not at all. The cooks often can't keep up with who has made what, or what goes to Dine-In or Take-Out, with front of house employees often having to request something that's fallen through the cracks or ask that something be re-plated for the other station. In peak hours, customers had to deal with wait times that were absolutely not worth their time because it was impossible for everyone to keep everything running at a smooth, fast pace.
     - We were rarely ever fully staffed, employees would come and go or be fired in the blink of an eye, because the working environment is harsh. Meaning the ones who stuck around often ended up with heaping helpings of split shifts that kept them there from morning to night. In the case of a Key Hourly, that means closing the store, keeping you there till midnight or later some nights, depending on circumstance. I didn't see my wife very often in those times.
     - Poor sales were often blamed on front of house employees, despite us having little to nothing to do with anything even vaguely marketing related. We were told we didn't smile hard enough, or we didn't greet customers enthusiastically enough, as if that would somehow cause larger crowds to come in behind them.
     - Advancement, if you get Key Hourly, often stops there. I was outright held back from advancing any further for no reason other than the manager at the time didn't want to pay anybody anymore than she had to, because the district manager was breathing down her neck to meet wage goals that were utterly impossible.

Store management does what they can. District management and further up the ladder, however, needs to stop trying to force unrealistic sales and wage goals upon ground level management, and therefore, employees. Also, someone desperately needs to find a new way for the restaurant to run.

Kitchen Manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Quality of life, two days off, two weeks paid vacation, good salary for a fast casual restaurant
    easy to learn systems and practices
    Flexible scheduling
    Great Benefits and opportunities
    i personally received several opportunities and have managed to work up the ranks quicker than most restaurants

Cons

Relatively stressful environment, as most fast paced restaurant are.
    at times labor intensive
    Kitchen Strong and Kitchen Driven establishment

Great College Job

Former Employee - Cashier, Busser  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier, Busser in Austin, TX

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid hourly instead of tips. Tips are thought to be better but you can actually set a budget when you are paid hourly. Perfect job when attending school.

Cons

Can't think of any. The job is what it is.

None.

Company with NO support for management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to learn how systems can run a restaurant.

Cons

Management not given the right tools to succeed. Eye was on numbers only, not what affected those numbers. NO importance on customer service.

Support your in-store managers.

Work hard for little pay, High Management turn over

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time

Pros

Benefits are available for full time employees

Cons

Horrible food so employee discount isn't a perk, Constant changes in management (they just quit one day and never come back), Managers are always stressed out, Low compensation for FOH jobs,

Don't hire micromanaging managers

fast paced

Former Employee - Foh/Boh
    Former Employee - Foh/Boh

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for less than a year

Pros

not too hard of a job, pay was ok for time i worked there

Cons

management was not the best, always changing

stop hiring new managers all the time and keep one so that the work environment won't constantly be hectic

Worked for Pei Wei Asian Diner? Contribute to the Community!