Pelican Products

Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Lyndon J. Faulkner

Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Pelican Products (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent brand recognition in established account base

Cons

Lack of career development opportunities

Develop stronger HR and sales management team

Poor management with limited skills, knowledge and applicable education

Former Employee - Buyer in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Torrance, CA

I worked at Pelican Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product line and concepts. Engineering was pleasant to work with - one of the only departments that I can say that about. The marketing for the product was great and evolved.

Cons

Most upper management has been part of the start and were promoted based on seniority and not level of expertise, know how or qualifications. Very closed minded and sadly most have had no other experience besides Pelican making their limitations great. A good amount of managers do not have much of a clue-this includes Purchasing, Planning, Accounting and HR. Very scary and detrimental to the overall day to day operations.

Be open to ideas, educate management by sending them to interpersonal skills classes and other relevant seminars.

It is all about the money.

I worked at Pelican Products

Pros

Great product line. Best in the industry. Have strong reputation in industry despite recent missteps of past few years. Will survive poor management team.

Cons

Worst management team ever. Every decision revolves around getting company ready to resell at the expense of customer service and quality. Most dysfunctional sales structure I have ever encountered. More internal competition between divisions than external competition.

Get a new management team that cares.

I have enjoyed working at Pelican as it absorbs my former company Hardigg Industries.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pelican Products

Pros

Pelican works to make the employee experience as positive as possible in a difficult time in the market.

Cons

Pelican has had some growing pains as it absorbs Hardigg industries that was built on a different business model. Pelican was a marketing company that happened to sell cases. Hardigg was an engineering company that happened to sell cases. Merging what the 2 do has been difficult.

Keep up the good work in trying to understand and develop the combined business model. Tough decisions were made early on by executives did not understand the Hardigg business model.

Great people with a good attitude.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Torrance, CA

I worked at Pelican Products

Pros

Good, product and great marketing presence. A call brand in the case industry. They hold to their guns when compared to other companies products and never backdown on quality controls.

Cons

Internal management of service is a bit combersome. Some of the lines of communication are disrupted with certain individual not taking ownership of particular issues when confronted.

I don't really have any advice. The best of luck to all that work for them. Most of the management is spot on and easy to work with.