Pella

Updated October 8, 2014
3.2

Pella President and CEO Pat Meyer
Pat Meyer

Pros
  • Work Life Balance and friendly work atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

• Very respectful work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak construction season (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good products, poor culture at the local level

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Pella full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I could sell with confidence. The products were first class and installs generally excellent. My customers were generally satisfied.

Cons

The company is slow to react to changing market conditions. Management at the branch where I worked was ignorant of the morale problems at their company, and unwilling to actually pay attention to solutions to common problems brought forth by employees.

Sales quotas and bonuses became increasingly unlikely to attain, and often were shifted mid cycle. Horrible situation for straight commission employees.

Tell the owners to take a pay cut if they expect the employees to.
    Don't blame poor company performance on your sales team. If a team regularly hits goals ( years) and then suddenly doesn't, that is a case of poor/unrealistic goal setting by management.

Poor sales managers.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pella full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not to much. Good Product line.

Cons

I went through 4 sales managers within my first 18 months. One of them was an sales manager that I only met with once and placed me on a coaching program, all she did was point of negative things about my performance.

The last manager I had that fired me over a simple data entry mistake, one that has been made by many of my fellow employees and accused me of committing a felony will be a lasting impression on me and what a bad place this was to work. I really believed in the company and was dedicated employee. Pella did very little to help me reach performance goals both set by me personally and Pella. This was the worst place I have ever worked in over 20 years in the field.

Do NOT work at Pella

Former Employee - Assembly Operator B in Gettysburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assembly Operator B in Gettysburg, PA

I worked at Pella full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice crew members, decent pay

Cons

Leads will straight out lie to you. management does not want employees to help each other, but would rather have crew members stand and watch you struggle. Then leads would ask you over and over why you are not hitting tac time. No matter what you said, it was never good enough. The only thing I liked about this job was the crew members, except the leads. MANAGEMENT is the worst I have ever seen. We would start work at 830 management would arrive at 810. I was sent home because of the workload instead of calling you, they would waste your time and money by having you drive to work and then send you home. Very unpredictable hours. This is a common practice of Pella in Gettysburg PA. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES. I DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING FOR PELLA TO ANYONE. I WILL SPREAD THE WORD.

Still a family-owned company

I have been working at Pella full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still family-owned, not "corporate." Decent pay and benefits. People are respectful of each other. Good brand recognition. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up. Lots of lower priced competitors.

Production quality has suffered since the older, more experienced plant employees left. Get the quality back to justify the higher priced product..

Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gettysburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Pella full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is a little above average...that's about it!

Cons

Management doesn't care. All that matters is numbers. Quality doesn't matter, just get the Windows out as fast as you can. During peak season you work when you're told often at the last minute. Off season the stop watches come out. If you can't keep up you're gone!

Most of the people aren't any better. I've had my lunch messed with to the point that I had to throw it out. To this day I can't bring a lunch to work. I have to work 10 hours a day sometimes more with just a few bottles of water to get through. I've been the brunt of every Jewish joke under the sun "get back in the oven" or "go take a shower" are 2 of the more popular ones. Management didn't care. They pushed it off for the lead to handle.

Pella has the potential to be a good place to work. Unfortunately, management is lacking at the very basic levels. The promote an atmosphere of backstabbing and bullying to get any promotion. You don't get ahead based on your abilities. You get there by kicking the other guy before he can do it to you! Corporate needs to come in and clean house! I wouldn't recommend Pella for anyone without the stomach for that kind of environment!

Management is the problem. Corporate needs to get involved to straighten this mess out.

Great company, poor management!

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pella full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work/life balance, family atmosphere are the positives. The people are great and you develop some good friendships.

Cons

Below industry pay scale. You can earn more working for any other competitor, plus a commission incentive. They brag about how financially secure the company is, but they don't pass it on to their employees. They also talk about the "opportunity for advancement", which is great if you want to live in Pella, IA. If not, chances are slim for advancement. Management doesn't relate to sales staff. They have their own agenda and micro-manage you to death!

Pay your employees more to keep the good ones or you will be a stepping stone company for young, inexperienced talent. Let the sales reps sell and don't worry about other stuff that doesn't matter. Quality control has declined in the last couple of years and it shows in the customer ratings.

Great Launching Pad

Former Employee - NA Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - NA Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pella full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Began there in 2004 as a new college grad and hired in as an outside sales rep. Great resources for training, development and true interest in seeing their reps succeed. Very supportive management and culture.

Cons

Raises are modest and profit sharing became less each year. To advance most road lead to Pella, IA. Not much opportunity for growth if you're not willing to relocate back to IA.

Open corporate facility in Des Moines for non manufacturing, professional positions.

Decent place to work, but pay could be better

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pella full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed positive environment with good people. An easy place to get along. Decent training and learning opportunity with the right people and if you are motivated. Pella is dedicated to continuous improvement and they have meetings and take input often. If you are a team player and stay positive you will enjoy working here.

Cons

Limited career opportunities. Sometimes not enough hours sometimes too many.

Provide more opportunity for advancement. Consider paying a little more to keep the loyalty of your employees.

Micro Managed...Horrible experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Pella full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really can't come up with anything positive to say other than I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

Cons

Awful, incompetent service managers that had no control over the service center. How do you allow other service reps to not assist walk in customers and knowing only one rep (me) assists customers and then punish her when stuff hits the fan? My workload tripled and when I called the management on it, I lost my job. I received no training and was set up for failure from the beginning. Also I had perfect attendance and showed up to work on time every time. This place operated as if it were in a parallel universe. What a joke

Don't treat your employees like they are special education students. That is how I was treated and I didn't appreciate it one bit. Why don't you properly train your employees about the product and scheduling appointments before putting them on the floor? Also just to let you know, this was a hostile work environment as I was the subject of verbal abuse and constant demeaning behavior by supervisors and employees. You better believe I tell everyone about my experience here and I tell people that if they want to work in a team oriented, professional environment and are looking for job satisfaction, Pella us not the place for them.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Pella

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good work life balance
    Compensated for 10 hour days and extra days worked
    Great company culture
    Great leadership team
    Paid time off and 8 holidays
    Learn a lot about continuous improvement, Kaizen, Gemba, and 5S

Cons

Long hours during peak construction season
    Dependent upon a strong economy and strong construction growth