Pelton & Crane

1 Rating

Poor Internship Program

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pelton & Crane as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay. Provided an apartment for me to live in (all expenses paid).

Cons

No real direction for interns.

If you are going to hire interns make sure there is actually something for them to do.

No work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pelton & Crane

Pros

The experience will look good on your résumé for future employers. You'll learn a lot. It's a paycheck. Could be a good opportunity if you work in sales. They contribute a minimum of 2% of your salary to your 401k regardless of participation.

Cons

The culture. There are so many cliques you'll feel like you're back in high school. There are definitely a few "chosen" employees who have been pre-selected to grow within Danaher. If you are a chosen one, you will know. Everyone else is moved around sideways as needed with no regard as to the employee's desires or long term career goals. They pretend these sideways moves are promotions- but don't kid yourself.

The pay. They rarely increase pay and when they do, it's pitiful. So make sure you negotiate and are 100% satisfied with your salary and are ready to stay at that salary until you switch companies. In my experience, they pay about 70% of what other companies do but demand about 130% of the work.

The discrimination. I'm not black myself but it is very clear the culture here is racist. There are no blacks in management or sales. Hispanics are for low level manufacturing jobs only. There are also very, very few women within the "chosen" group. There are a few Indians sprinkled here and there, so if you're Asian, you might have a chance. On the plus side, they will go out of their way to hire vets.

Overall, it's just not a good environment. People are stressed out. Most people eat lunch at their desk. There is no sign of work/life balance. In 4 years there was not a single opportunity for my family to enter my work place. Every other place I've worked has had christmas parties with families or health fairs with families invited. Not here. It's about profit, not people. Overall, I just found it sad to see people putting in all the hours and effort for such little reward and recognition. Life's too short to work for Danaher.

Stop discriminating before you get sued again. When someone leaves the company, don't just spread their work between remaining employees. Have a Christmas party! Work on building
    employee morale.

Most racist place to work!

Former Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pelton & Crane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing! It's a job if you can tolerate the bull crap. If you just need a check work there and don't expect anything.

Cons

No African Americans on sales force or in management.

Become. colorblind hire and promote based on experience and knowledge.

Pretty good company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pelton & Crane full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pelton & Crane makes first class, high quality products and they have a nice location. They have been upgrading the facility over the last few years.

Cons

Since Danaher purchased the company there is a lot more red tape and transition in managment. That is pretty much Danaher's philosophy though...turn em and burn em....

Put your customers and employees first.

Good company with a long history.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Pelton & Crane

Pros

Exposure to DBS system, similiar to Toyotas operation. Can be very beneficial if done correctly and followed through to the end. Opportunties are there. Projects are done as a cross function team that will/can increase ones awareness of other departments.

Cons

Opportunities are there if you move in and spend 12+ hours a day, Anything less that is noted. Schedule and work load per individual is unrealistic. Staff expects unrealistic goals and schedules to be met.

Pay attention, use accrurate information. Get a hands on feeling of the employees and the environment that exist. Reward people that are actually making progress.

Money is not enough

Former Employee - Senior Planner and Buyer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Planner and Buyer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pelton & Crane

Pros

Pelton and Crane is under the Danaher umbrella. Those who are not familiar with this name should equate it to a well developped business engine with detailed processes and a drive for constant imrpovement . You will learn a lot from these processes as they benchmark from Japanese lean manufacturing concepts. Danaher also has a healthy regard for those who served in the armed forces.

Cons

Pelton and Crane's office area is carpeted and air conditioned. The manufacturing area is a sweatshop; there's just no easy way to put it. This understandably breeds jealousy among your manufacturing colleagues if you are in the office.
    Burnout is almost expected. I averaged 10-14 hour days and felt guilty for not being there on weekends. Management believes it owns you at all times and is allowed to treat you any way they want (this includes cursing and yelling).
    The turnover was the most impressive part of the job. In a department of about 7 people, 24 employees circulated in and out of the company within 3 years (with no repeat hires). After the economic turndown, half of the employees in my department were let go in one day (including a stellar performer who had been with Pelton and Crane for over 20 years). I asked how the decision was made to keep some and let others go; the stuttering in my manager's response told me more than his actual words. I later realised all those who were terminated were over 40 years of age.
    In this type of job, you truly learn that money is not enough to compensate everything and it makes you wiser at analysing a company's profile prior to accepting a position with them.

A sophisitcated business concept can never make up for poor treatment of employees. I often heard managers and employees say they would be fired if x,y, and z did not go well. I also know great employees that left due to burnout. Employee retention may be achieved with a bit more respect.

Danaher

I have been working at Pelton & Crane

Pros

Growth Within the company and Danaher Corporation. Since Pelton and Crane is apart of Danaher Corporation, there are many opportunities available.

Cons

Workload varies from season to season. High turnover rate, but there are many "lifers." Can potentially be an overwhelming place to work.