Pendleton Woolen Mills

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Mort Bishop III

I love it here. One of the best jobs I have ever had.

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have a great manager,great co-workers, benefits, beautiful store, beautiful apparel.

Cons

Not many. In higher end retail customers can sometimes be difficult, but that can happen anywhere in retail environment. We need a bit of a larger staff to cover emergency situations and vacations etc.

Actually I think the management is great. Home office personnel could lighten up a bit but overall ok.

During my 14 years with Pendleton, I felt they betrayed themselves while struggling to keep pace with change.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They still manufacture, right in Oregon, the finest woolen fabrics available. Pride in the product and heritage of the company went a long way. I always loved educating customers about us!
    Employee discount is 65% on Pendleton brand merchandise!

Cons

Low wages, no increases, shrinking benefits, no 401K match. Lousy hours and weekends goes without saying in retail. Outsourcing of assembly has compromised quality. Company is favoring their catalog, internet and outlet business, closing regular retail stores. Incentives for sales performance were insulting. Negative criticism passed from top management down the food chain.

Go back to your roots. Take care of your soldiers. They represent you to your customers! Stop creating more high-salary jobs in Portland.

very slow to adapt to change

Current Employee - Design  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Design in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great wool blankets and fabric that are still made in the U.S.A. Loyal consumers to the brand and they expect high quality investment items. Western and Native American iconic designs that last. Family owned business, somewhat stable company for over 100+ years.

Cons

Slow to adapt to consumer changes in the market. Since the "great recession", disposable income has diminished in the market. The men's wear, home furnishings, and accessory divisions are somewhat stable but the women's wear department is suffering tremendously. Low moral and a loss of what the brand means has consumed this company. Target market for their women's wear customer in their late 60's or older, which is not realistic. Management and Merchandising is afraid to trust Designer direction.

Don't be afraid of change. The women's wear customer that will invest in your products has outgrown the styles of clothing you design. Learn to have fun again and design clothing that women can move their body in. Listen and trust your designer's perspective. Reward them for when they succeed and increase sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Brand

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has a potential in Brand Positioning across multiple categories

Cons

Old business practices get in the way of moving the company to be competitive in all markets

THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT I'VE EVER WORKED IN

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working at this company. Very unprofessional and dysfunctional. So happy to be out of there.

Cons

This store treats employees poorly and discriminates against older employees. Upper management ties the hands of their store managers and does not let them perform their duties effectively. Very unprofessional company. Upper management is more concerned about their egos and climbing the corporate ladder than they are about the well-being of their customers and employees.

Upper management needs to let their store managers actually manage the stores and focus more on customer satisfactions than their own egos .

Stable company that makes the most beautiful blankets and woolen fabrics you will ever see.

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive benefits except for the retirement plan, stable family owned company that has been around for four generations. Gorgeous product for the most part, especially the blankets and men's wool shirts.

Cons

401K plan has no company match, which is a big negative. If you plan on working here a long time, most people will need to make other plans or go elsewhere to retire comfortably.

Make employees stakeholders in the company. It has been proven time and time again that this works. Continue to focus on reducing lead times.

The customers were great. The management was too self-involved and didn't care about what the customers wanted.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the people who worked there were very sweet and helpful. The customers were great and rarely difficult. Many tourists came in and they were always in a good mood and happy to spend money.

Cons

Assistant manager thought the store was all about her. Although we didn't work on commission she was unnecessarily competitive and vindictive. If she thought you were selling more than she was, she cut your hours back.

The store should work to satisfy customers and increase sales. The emphasis seemed to be on egos, especially those who ran the store.

LOVE WORKING HERE, great benefits and people

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills part-time

Pros

Great people, great company. This has been a really great company to work for. Paid holidays off, great benefits, and I really love the people I work with. They make a great product that you can be proud of!

Cons

The only con I can think of, is I wish the store was closer to where I live. But It's worth the drive into town.

challenging

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills

Pros

wonderful brand with a great heritage
    family flexible

Cons

no direction
    unclear objectives
    not allowed to do job as hired

Create an environment that will allow creativity. The company needs to be product driven. Take a stand on the brand and develop it for the future.

Generally a good company to work for.

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills

Pros

The company is still Bishop family owned and operated since 1893. Pendleton clothing is well made with high quality fabrics woven in US Pendleton Woolen mills. The Indian blankets are beautiful. The clothing and blankets have a loyal following. This is a company legacy to be proud of.

Cons

Communication to the field is lacking. Policy or procedure changes are not always relayed consistently. A lot of the information listed in P&P manual is outdated.

Be aware some d.m.s and corporate staff have represented the company boorishly to the field. Comments undermining corporate staff or other store employees are too common. Not everybody is on the team. Blame is freely passed at every opportunity.

Worked for Pendleton Woolen Mills? Contribute to the Community!