Penguin Group

www.penguin.com
Profile Unclaimed

Nice company

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

it definetely is a great company to work at. Lots of nice people. huge, as it has multiple floors and you can get lost.

Cons

As nice as it is, if you are not into books, this is not the place to be. Can get quite boring at times because of lack of challenges.

Thanks for doing what was necessary to keep everyone employed - no layoffs. Keep up the good work. We appreciate the fact that you care deeply about the workers.

Nice atmosphere, poor management

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group

Pros

Penguin has a good reputation and a lot of talented editors, so there are opportunities to work on interesting/high profile projects and the quality of work is high. Editorial staff here learn a lot and make important contacts. Depending on your immediate supervisor the atmosphere is relaxed and the benefits are good.

Cons

Many of Penguin's practices are antiquated - even for the generally old-fashioned publishing industry - and instead of helping productivity end up creating busy work. Promotions are slow in coming and happen haphazardly. Many editors are frustrated by publisher and management decisions, but there is no way to communicate dissatisfaction or problems within departments to higher level supervisors. There is constant pressure to publish "commercial" projects and to steer away from "literary" titles, and you can expect to work late or on the weekends a few times a month.

Penguin has an elaborate performance evaluation system in place, but it only works from the top down. Problems with mid-level management often go unnoticed by those in a position to address problems. Adding peer reviews or 360 degree reviews - bottom to top reviews - would be useful in at least increasing communication within the company.

Interesting, Creative, and Stimulating Work

Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Penguin Group is a congenial, creative, and fun place to work. With over 75 years in the business and offices located all over the world, they obviously know how to run a great business and keep their employees happy. Penguin is owned by Pearson Education, the largest educational publisher in the world, so there is plenty of opportunity to explore different facets of trade, educational, and online publishing if you find yourself stagnated in one particular area.

Cons

Compensation is very, very low. You may need to take on freelance work to make ends meet (I do). Bonuses are not offered to employees.

We're having a great year...consider a bonus that's actually meaningful to employees (which means, not a couple thousand at Christmastime, but an actual percentage of our salaries).

A laid back company with smart and young employees.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Young, smart, and fun company. The employees are very open to helping each other out and the atmosphere is generally laid back. Tons of free books!

Cons

Compensation is really low, but comparable to the industry. Work at times can get a bit monotonous.

Allow lower level employees to to have more responsibilities and pay them more.

Great company, crappy industry

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Great sense of community, friendly environment, skill-building classes and workshops, opportunities to work interdepartmentally, decent benefits, never had a problem taking time off when I needed it, green initiatives, commitment to digital workflow

Cons

Extremely low salary, often feel overworked, no way to control workflow, advancement opportunities are few and far between, lack of communication of management's vision to the staff

Policies aren't consistent between people or over time, which leads to confusion; leadership should meet with staff more often to articulate what they want in terms of acquisitions

Boring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group

Pros

Good for stability and ongoing benefits. People work here for many years, and can get comfortable easily.

Cons

Too corporate, not exciting enough on a daily basis to be challenging enough. If you're the type who needs to thrive on workplace energy, it lacks that.

Would have appreciated more room for growth. Process is way too slow. Feels more like a place where one can grow easily complacent and not challenged enough.

Nice place to work, but difficult to pursue a career

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Generous benefits package;
    Ample vacation time and reasonable flex time;
    Coworkers and managers are generally helpful, friendly and competent;
    Free books!

Cons

Salaries are low and uncompetitive and promotions are few and far between. These two factors combine to employee attrition in many departments. Departments are bloated so there can be alot of downtime.

I'd say that Penguin is a nice place to work, but it's not feasible to pursue a career at the company due to the pay.

Great place to work, if you prefer to get paid in books, instead of the money.

Current Employee - Production Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Generous benefits, training opportunities, nice people, great building and location.

Cons

Very low pay.
    No opportunities for advancement unless you spend there a decade.
    Management doesn't recognize and appreciate talented and dedicated employees.
    Appraisals are non existent.

Value and promote your employees. Recognize hard work and accomplishments financially instead of counting pennies. Otherwise nobody who's talented and ambitious will ever stay.

Review

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Penguin is a great place to build a career. It is a nurturing environment and people are generally very friendly. Compensation is average for the publishing industry and time off is generous.

Cons

There is little opportunity for advancement. The company is resistant to change. Both the software and hardware used are dated.

While Penguin is great at recognizing a job well done, this recognition does not translate into career advancement or salary increases. If you want to retain great employees, give them more incentive to stay.

Good place to work, stuck in current position

I have been working at Penguin Group

Pros

Ample vacation time, half days on Friday in the summer, generally don't lay people off, 70% discount on books, casual environment, Christmas week office is closed. I work with a nice group of people. The Penguin name/buying power enables me to work with vendors in a way I wouldn't be able to with smaller publishers.

Cons

Bad managers aren't fired, people say in their positions for years, work not challenging/lots of downtime due to department bloat. I work on very few titles. Advances in technology has made my job more efficient but there are still the same number of people in my department, doing the same tasks. Penguin is behind the times when it comes to technology and has a lack of urgency with regards to change.

Need to examine headcount or re-examine roles in light of excess downtime