Penguin Group (USA) Reviews

Updated April 2, 2015
40 reviews filtered by
3.5
CEO

1. Penguin- awesome prior to merger depending on boss. Overworked underpaid but great perks

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great familial atmosphere, depending on department and boss, with awesome company parties and events. Nice corporate perks (classes etc) and discounts and freebies.

Cons

Can be overworked and quite underpaid compared to other industries.

2. Great company culture

Former Employee - Advertising and Promotions Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising and Promotions Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers who are passionate about what they do.

Cons

In general, the company seemed slow to promote staff across all departments.

3. Editorial assistant

Current Employee - Entry Level in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Entry Level in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Imprints are very diverse and work differently, but mine is very supportive and and collaborative. There are a lot of opportunities to learn and a lot of Granda on experience at the entry level. Good benefits as well.

Cons

Compensation is lacking, but that's true of publishing in general. While it's a huge company, it's difficult to know how easy it will be to move up if you want to move to a different imprint because the imprints are so separate, and there is not always space to move up in the imprint that you start at.

Advice to Management

Entry level employees really need to be compensated a realistic wage for living in New York City.

5. Good Company, Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The most amazing part of working at Penguin is the people. I've met some of my best friends working for this company, and if that many awesome people are willing to work here, they must be doing something right. Also, free books.

Cons

As with most publishing jobs, the pay leaves something to be desired. There is always too much work to do, and not enough time to do it. For most of my career at Penguin, my department has been sorely understaffed, and it takes a ridiculously long time to get approval for an add to staff.

6. Overall positive but overworked for position and salary.

Current Employee - Publicist
    Current Employee - Publicist

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great relationship with my director, very hands off, feel comfortable asking questions or direction when necessary. They welcome your ideas and creativity. Director provides helpful feedback on performance whenever I ask.

Cons

Understaffed and overworked for general compensation.

Advice to Management

Quicker promotions for work done well instead of waiting until the employee is so overworked they want to quit.

Good Experience

Current Intern - Marketing and Publicity Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Marketing and Publicity Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-A very friendly office
    -Great location and atmosphere

Cons

-A bulk of my assigned work consisted of large and tedious mailings. That is to be expected in an internship capacity, particularly one for publishing. Just a heads up to others.
    -At times people had to scramble to find tasks for me to do, some projects only took a few hours leaving my days open.

8. Great Internship Experience

Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was here for only 3 short months for the spring internship and it was great! I worked on a very small team, so I was able to assist with all aspects of the publishing process, from editorial to marketing to publicity. My boss also seemed really concerned with making sure that I got the most from the experience and was able to take concrete things with me to help me get a job following the internship. Overall, I feel like I learned a lot, worked with a very supportive, friendly and fun team, and that my job search efforts following the internship were supported greatly. I would love to return to this company.

Cons

The internship felt so short! It was only a few months and only 14 hours a week were paid. I worked more occasionally, just to get everything done. I never felt any pressure from my manager to come in and work unpaid hours, though.

Advice to Management

The internship program is a great introduction to your company and the publishing industry in general. I appreciated the way you looked to hire from your intern pool (although I have since started working at another company) and the way you connected the interns to people in HR so that they could have solid advice about the job search process.

9. Great company

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people and office culture are fantastic.

Cons

The company is big and it can be intimidating to meet people outside of your department.

10. Decent experience

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time

Pros

Office environment is fairly relaxed and positive. People at the company are mostly friendly and will provide support as asked. Good vacation policy.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth in certain departments and people can be pigeon-holed. Frustrating to see employees who are under performing but are still holding a position. Pay is on the lower side.

11. Fantastic company benefits, low salaries

Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid support system across the company, plus the support of teams of enthusiastic, intelligent, and passionate people.

Cons

Low salaries--but that's typical for the publishing industry (at least in editorial). Increasing pressure to produce "hits" meant long hours under a lot of pressure. There was a high turnover due to poor managerial skills, at least in my department.

Advice to Management

n/a