Penguin Group (USA)

CEO

Great company, decent internship

Former Employee - Editorial Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Well, it pays, unlike most internships in the publishing world and elsewhere, though the pay is still low. My coworkers were friendly and eager to help, and there was a nice mix of boring clerical work and stuff that was actually challenging and rewarding. For someone looking to become an editor, it's hard to think of a better place to start.

Cons

You will have to do a lot of work at home, especially any reading you're assigned. This doesn't sound bad at first, until you realize that a future at this company means almost never getting to read books of your own choosing. Sometimes the people seem TOO friendly -- it was hard for me to tell how well I was really doing, or what I could do better. In the end, I didn't want to work in publishing, so it wasn't the job for me.

There seemed to be a serious absence of ethnic and cultural diversity at Penguin -- at least for any floor above the mail room.

Decent experience

Pros

Office environment is fairly relaxed and positive. People at the company are mostly friendly and will provide support as asked. Good vacation policy.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth in certain departments and people can be pigeon-holed. Frustrating to see employees who are under performing but are still holding a position. Pay is on the lower side.

Fantastic company benefits, low salaries

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Solid support system across the company, plus the support of teams of enthusiastic, intelligent, and passionate people.

Cons

Low salaries--but that's typical for the publishing industry (at least in editorial). Increasing pressure to produce "hits" meant long hours under a lot of pressure. There was a high turnover due to poor managerial skills, at least in my department.

n/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, passionate people, lacking in some areas

Current Employee - Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Incredibly talented people
    - Positive corporate culture
    - Employees are generally friendly, happy, intelligent, and motivated - a rare find

Cons

- Compensation is beyond minimal. No one in publishing expects to make the big bucks, but it is rather deflating to work for such a revered publisher and not be able to afford the city it is based out of.
    - The internal infrastructure and promotion structure is flawed. Penguin is not good at appreciating talent and promoting or giving money to keep good employees around. Promotions are few and far between. Unfortunately several colleagues (who were genuinely talented individuals) have had to move out to move up.

Appreciate the talent you have - work to keep employees around who work just as hard for you every day.

Excellent

Former Employee - National Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Good, cooperative atmosphere. Product (books) that one can be enthusiastic about. Always intellectually challenging.

Cons

Not clear what will be the effect of the merger with Random House. Also, old Penguin was very stingy with salaries.

Not bad, could be better

Current Employee - Assistant Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

Pros

Great list to work on, fantastic vacation time, and fairly decent benefits. There's a great work-life balance to be had in publishing, but especially at this company.

Cons

It's top heavy with executives and depending on which department you're in, there's not a lot of room for growth and expansion. Loyalty is not rewarded until you have another offer in hand. I've also found a lot of micromanaging in this company.

There should be more time for management training because there are a lot of people who could use it. The merger should also allow for better benefits and salaries.

Great company

Former Employee - Subsidiary Rights Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Subsidiary Rights Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

The pay was decent. Entry level was 32,000, which was a lot of money to me at the time. My supervisors were great. The environment was great. I learned a lot and took home a lot of free books. My colleagues were smart, friendly and professional. And there was a discounted gym membership which I wish I had utilized.

Cons

The workload was insane, and the first couple months were hell. It was very difficult to get acclimated, and I never really got comfortable. The training could have been better.

Better training would have been helpful.

Like heaven on earth

Current Employee - Publicity Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Publicity Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing benefits package & 401K, 10+ days of vacation and personal days, surrounded by books, passionate coworkers, not a lot of micromanaging from management, trust in employees is great

Cons

Salary is a little low at entry-level, would love more direction, but otherwise there are no real cons working here (in my opinion).

Office culture can be a little cliquey - it would be nice to have more department events so that employees can get to know each other.

Bad working environment

Former Employee - Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

Pros

Good benefits, generous time off (15 vacation days for the first year), free books, great location.

Cons

Terrible upper level management, dreary work environment. Some upper management people have no respect for their employees. Overtime is not payed but expected. They promote substandard work done quickly over quality work. Computers are outdated and slow.

Respect your employees esspecialy if they work hard to get the job done. Hire enough people so you can have better quality work. Quality is valued over quantity.

A company that has been over taken by the merger.

Pros

No one can take away the beauty of a penguin classic!

Cons

Messy merger that only time will tell.

You are not too big to fail

Worked for Penguin Group (USA)? Contribute to the Community!