Penguin Group (USA)

CEO

Good Company, Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The most amazing part of working at Penguin is the people. I've met some of my best friends working for this company, and if that many awesome people are willing to work here, they must be doing something right. Also, free books.

Cons

As with most publishing jobs, the pay leaves something to be desired. There is always too much work to do, and not enough time to do it. For most of my career at Penguin, my department has been sorely understaffed, and it takes a ridiculously long time to get approval for an add to staff.

Overall positive but overworked for position and salary.

Current Employee - Publicist
    Current Employee - Publicist

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great relationship with my director, very hands off, feel comfortable asking questions or direction when necessary. They welcome your ideas and creativity. Director provides helpful feedback on performance whenever I ask.

Cons

Understaffed and overworked for general compensation.

Quicker promotions for work done well instead of waiting until the employee is so overworked they want to quit.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Marketing and Publicity Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing and Publicity Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-A very friendly office
    -Great location and atmosphere

Cons

-A bulk of my assigned work consisted of large and tedious mailings. That is to be expected in an internship capacity, particularly one for publishing. Just a heads up to others.
    -At times people had to scramble to find tasks for me to do, some projects only took a few hours leaving my days open.

Great Internship Experience

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was here for only 3 short months for the spring internship and it was great! I worked on a very small team, so I was able to assist with all aspects of the publishing process, from editorial to marketing to publicity. My boss also seemed really concerned with making sure that I got the most from the experience and was able to take concrete things with me to help me get a job following the internship. Overall, I feel like I learned a lot, worked with a very supportive, friendly and fun team, and that my job search efforts following the internship were supported greatly. I would love to return to this company.

Cons

The internship felt so short! It was only a few months and only 14 hours a week were paid. I worked more occasionally, just to get everything done. I never felt any pressure from my manager to come in and work unpaid hours, though.

The internship program is a great introduction to your company and the publishing industry in general. I appreciated the way you looked to hire from your intern pool (although I have since started working at another company) and the way you connected the interns to people in HR so that they could have solid advice about the job search process.

Great company

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people and office culture are fantastic.

Cons

The company is big and it can be intimidating to meet people outside of your department.

Decent experience

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time

Pros

Office environment is fairly relaxed and positive. People at the company are mostly friendly and will provide support as asked. Good vacation policy.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth in certain departments and people can be pigeon-holed. Frustrating to see employees who are under performing but are still holding a position. Pay is on the lower side.

Fantastic company benefits, low salaries

Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid support system across the company, plus the support of teams of enthusiastic, intelligent, and passionate people.

Cons

Low salaries--but that's typical for the publishing industry (at least in editorial). Increasing pressure to produce "hits" meant long hours under a lot of pressure. There was a high turnover due to poor managerial skills, at least in my department.

n/a

Great company, passionate people, lacking in some areas

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Incredibly talented people
    - Positive corporate culture
    - Employees are generally friendly, happy, intelligent, and motivated - a rare find

Cons

- Compensation is beyond minimal. No one in publishing expects to make the big bucks, but it is rather deflating to work for such a revered publisher and not be able to afford the city it is based out of.
    - The internal infrastructure and promotion structure is flawed. Penguin is not good at appreciating talent and promoting or giving money to keep good employees around. Promotions are few and far between. Unfortunately several colleagues (who were genuinely talented individuals) have had to move out to move up.

Appreciate the talent you have - work to keep employees around who work just as hard for you every day.

Great company, decent internship

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Well, it pays, unlike most internships in the publishing world and elsewhere, though the pay is still low. My coworkers were friendly and eager to help, and there was a nice mix of boring clerical work and stuff that was actually challenging and rewarding. For someone looking to become an editor, it's hard to think of a better place to start.

Cons

You will have to do a lot of work at home, especially any reading you're assigned. This doesn't sound bad at first, until you realize that a future at this company means almost never getting to read books of your own choosing. Sometimes the people seem TOO friendly -- it was hard for me to tell how well I was really doing, or what I could do better. In the end, I didn't want to work in publishing, so it wasn't the job for me.

There seemed to be a serious absence of ethnic and cultural diversity at Penguin -- at least for any floor above the mail room.

Excellent

Former Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good, cooperative atmosphere. Product (books) that one can be enthusiastic about. Always intellectually challenging.

Cons

Not clear what will be the effect of the merger with Random House. Also, old Penguin was very stingy with salaries.