Penguin Group (USA)

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Excellent

National Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood, cooperative atmosphere. Product (books) that one can be enthusiastic about. Always intellectually challenging.

ConsNot clear what will be the effect of the merger with Random House. Also, old Penguin was very stingy with salaries.

Great company

Subsidiary Rights Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay was decent. Entry level was 32,000, which was a lot of money to me at the time. My supervisors were great. The environment was great. I learned a lot and took home a lot of free books. My colleagues were smart, friendly and professional. And there was a discounted gym membership which I wish I had utilized.

ConsThe workload was insane, and the first couple months were hell. It was very difficult to get acclimated, and I never really got comfortable. The training could have been better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training would have been helpful.

Like heaven on earth

Publicity Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) for less than a year

ProsAmazing benefits package & 401K, 10+ days of vacation and personal days, surrounded by books, passionate coworkers, not a lot of micromanaging from management, trust in employees is great

ConsSalary is a little low at entry-level, would love more direction, but otherwise there are no real cons working here (in my opinion).

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture can be a little cliquey - it would be nice to have more department events so that employees can get to know each other.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that has been over taken by the merger.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Penguin Group (USA)

ProsNo one can take away the beauty of a penguin classic!

ConsMessy merger that only time will tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not too big to fail

Fun Work Environment, Employees Not Appreciated

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice, fun, and friendly people and work environment. Excellent benefits package, including a huge amount of paid vacation days, great healthcare plan, company-matched 401k, etc. Office located in a great neighborhood.

ConsPenguin does little to retain talent, is technologically behind, and is resistant to change. Managers delegate work to underpaid underlings and take an unfair share of credit for departmental successes. Managers and lifers continue to get promotions and bonuses while young, new employees are forced to move on due to incredibly low salaries and lack of growth opportunities.

Friendly place to work

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern

Prosgood place to get entry-level experience.

Consnothing that other publishers aren't also facing.

99 Problems and Penguin is 1

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat place to learn the ropes of publishing industry, nyc location is wonderful

Consterrible pay, terrible upper level management, dreary work environment, cliquey office culture

Great place to work

Senior Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCreative, collaborative environment; hard-workgroup but enjoyable atmosphere that supports families with flexible schedules and other opportunities to find the right work/life balance for each individual.

ConsLargely unpaid maternity leave. Also the location makes it pretty difficult to commute from points east.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport layer creativity as much as possible. Your talented employees appreciate the kudos and the inspiration!

Not the best place

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, good peers, free books, good amount of vacation days.

ConsMy boss was a terrible manager and constantly allowed to spew racist, sexist, homophobic speech without any reprimand from higher ups. If you complain to HR it gets right back to the person so what's the point of that? Could see other people getting preferred treatment even though I was constantly very well evaluated and maintained good interdepartmental relationships.

Also the pay is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange HR policies and also not tolerate hateful speech through passivity.

Editorial Assistant

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern

ProsGet to work with many people who love literature. Possibility of reading slush pile in hopes of finding gems.

ConsDreary work environment. While there were some fantastic people, the general feeling of the company was somewhat listless. Several higher ups recommended I get out of the field because I could "make more money doing the same thing elsewhere"

Worked for Penguin Group (USA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penguin Group (USA) reviews and ratings. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Penguin Group (USA) employees.