Penn Foster, Inc Reviews

2.9
Frank Britt

1. Enrollment Advisor

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Scranton, PA

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to get into sales.

Cons

Turning education into a number game.

I still remember the amazing people I worked with..

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc full-time

Pros

Union, Stable, amazing colleagues and atmosphere.

Cons

Like any big company, politics are certainly at play. Deal with it.

Advice to Management

Give your "veteran employees" more opportunities to advance their career.

Its a job.

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Each individual team is generally a good fit of people. There is support amongst the ranks to complete tasks and create solutions. The health benefits are good and there are some departments with union representation. There are occasional options of being involved in special projects/focus groups intended on the betterment of the company.

Cons

There is no room for growth or upward mobility. All so called promotions are lateral in nature. For the type of work it is, middle management does not embrace people with degrees or credentials. Never be smarter or more effective than your boss at that place. Instead, demonstrate disfunction and you're sure to thrive. As with any job, salaries should be much better.

Advice to Management

You're not the smartest decision makers. And thats OK. A collaborative approach will go so much further than the silos that never seem to get swept away with each new owner. The putative instinct to your management style needs to go.

5. I have loved working at Penn Foster, the people are wonderful.

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful, understanding and helpful.

Cons

I never thought I would want to leave, power is given to those that abuse it and nothing is done about it. Condescending and belittling has become the norm...

Advice to Management

Wonderful place to work! Consider who you put in the position of power, some are not able to handle it and are completely condescending to others. The feeling of being part of a team was one that I loved when I started with Penn Foster and as of late I feel more like a slave than part of a team.

6. Not too bad

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, and people that work there are amazing

Cons

Low pay, Not everyone is on the same page. Lots of employees who do a lot of talking and walking around rather than working. Not much growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Get everyone working on the same page, so it is not so hard to complete projects and other tasks.

Penn Foster College

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They allowed their employees to work from from.

Cons

The company was in process of constant change. When I was there, instructors were becoming call center reps instead of just being instructors... Also, student privacy rights were ignored.. Profit was more important than education. Also, most of the curriculum was outdated..

Advice to Management

Penn Foster needs to strive to get regular accreditation. The leadership itself seemed to not know much about education; it knew more about the IT market. So, the leadership itself needed to be retained in the laws regarding education. Also, the curriculum needed to updated to benefit our students i the job market.

8. Friendly but very busy atmosphere with little time to really make a mark on the company or have any other oppourtunities

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Excellent benefits package including tuition assistance and reimbursement Friendly people Voted one of NEPA's best places to work Opportunity for advancement if you start in the enrollment department and are able to meet and exceed their strict sales quotas, otherwise you will be fired and walked to the door immediately with no real warning Very good training program

Cons

Upper Management is very busy and has no time for you if you have questions or need help with your job. The "Fact Book" that you are supposed to look up answers to questions about the school or specific programs on their Intranet is usually out of date and then you end up giving wrong information to potential students. Some employees need to keep something called a "time tracker," where you have to write down everything that you do and when you do it, even when you go to the bathroom. Inbound and Outbound calling with a dialer called "Nortel" which may or may not call the same person several times a day, thus angering them and then results in you getting screamed at by angry students.

Advice to Management

Call center environments are tough to manage. I understand why the policies and procedures that Penn Foster Enrollment needed to be in place, but the new sales environment where all they care about is if you meet your quotas was really sad. I know from first hand experience that many EA's that got let go were very friendly and super helpful and personable but that doesn't matter to Penn Foster, and it should!

9. Wish I had gone on gut instinct and avoided the company

Former Employee - Human Resources in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Scranton, PA

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Benefits are good based on the area The people there are very friendly Depending on department, you can learn a lot in a short amount of time Flex time Can easily manage yourself

Cons

Bad reputation in area for Company name changes (due to acquisitions) A large number of employees have been with the company a long time (20+ years) they know everyone and talk about everyone Lack of resources causes very long hours (human capital) Some managers have little understand of the work their employees are doing Long term employees very set in ways The pay scale is very skewed

Advice to Management

Really look at what you're doing joining forces with The Princeton Review. The work necessary for the transition will take much longer - and cost more - to accomplish than you have planned on. Also look at your employees and use common sense. If you're not communicating with some of your employees you're not seeing the entire picture.

10. Inbound Great Out Bound Repetitive

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Solid Pay and Benefits, great work atmosphere if you have day shift

Cons

Out Bound calls are repetitive and the same people are repeatedly called.

Advice to Management

leave the lights on when night shift is working.

A good company with an excellent product.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

the education programs we produce and sell are excellent. Our programs change lives at a very affordable price--less than $1,000. The work environment is pleasant.

Cons

Pay is too low for the experience and quality of work I perform. Company only pays the amount paid by other local employers, rather than reward excellence. Company doesn't care if they lose good employees to employers willing to pay more.

Advice to Management

Get out of the "call center" mentality. We're not selling long distance phone service or credit card offers. Representatives are 'sales counselors' and should be compensated higher. Get out of the employee "revolving door" mentality--pay good employees a good living wage.

RSS Feed </> Embed