Penn Foster, Inc

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
3.1

Frank Britt

Okay place... slow to pay invoices

Former Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor in Scranton, PA

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, good co-workers, remote workplace, started out a good job with plenty of hours but school lost a huge contract and there was not enough work for everyone.

Cons

late paychecks, no chance for advancement, no raises in over four years-I became so bored with work I would try to find extra things to do only to get told not to do "extra work". What job does not want you to go the extra mile?

Take better care of your contractors, give them at least partial benefits and direct deposit-sending checks through the mail is just not secure anymore.

I have loved working at Penn Foster, the people are wonderful.

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful, understanding and helpful.

Cons

I never thought I would want to leave, power is given to those that abuse it and nothing is done about it. Condescending and belittling has become the norm...

Wonderful place to work! Consider who you put in the position of power, some are not able to handle it and are completely condescending to others. The feeling of being part of a team was one that I loved when I started with Penn Foster and as of late I feel more like a slave than part of a team.

Not too bad

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, and people that work there are amazing

Cons

Low pay, Not everyone is on the same page. Lots of employees who do a lot of talking and walking around rather than working. Not much growth opportunities.

Get everyone working on the same page, so it is not so hard to complete projects and other tasks.

Penn Foster College

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They allowed their employees to work from from.

Cons

The company was in process of constant change. When I was there, instructors were becoming call center reps instead of just being instructors... Also, student privacy rights were ignored.. Profit was more important than education. Also, most of the curriculum was outdated..

Penn Foster needs to strive to get regular accreditation. The leadership itself seemed to not know much about education; it knew more about the IT market. So, the leadership itself needed to be retained in the laws regarding education. Also, the curriculum needed to updated to benefit our students i the job market.

Friendly but very busy atmosphere with little time to really make a mark on the company or have any other oppourtunities

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Excellent benefits package including tuition assistance and reimbursement
    Friendly people
    Voted one of NEPA's best places to work
    Opportunity for advancement if you start in the enrollment department and are able to meet and exceed their strict sales quotas, otherwise you will be fired and walked to the door immediately with no real warning
    Very good training program

Cons

Upper Management is very busy and has no time for you if you have questions or need help with your job. The "Fact Book" that you are supposed to look up answers to questions about the school or specific programs on their Intranet is usually out of date and then you end up giving wrong information to potential students.

Some employees need to keep something called a "time tracker," where you have to write down everything that you do and when you do it, even when you go to the bathroom.

Inbound and Outbound calling with a dialer called "Nortel" which may or may not call the same person several times a day, thus angering them and then results in you getting screamed at by angry students.

Call center environments are tough to manage. I understand why the policies and procedures that Penn Foster Enrollment needed to be in place, but the new sales environment where all they care about is if you meet your quotas was really sad. I know from first hand experience that many EA's that got let go were very friendly and super helpful and personable but that doesn't matter to Penn Foster, and it should!

Wish I had gone on gut instinct and avoided the company

Former Employee - Human Resources in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Scranton, PA

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Benefits are good based on the area
    The people there are very friendly
    Depending on department, you can learn a lot in a short amount of time
    Flex time
    Can easily manage yourself

Cons

Bad reputation in area for Company name changes (due to acquisitions)
    A large number of employees have been with the company a long time (20+ years) they know everyone and talk about everyone
    Lack of resources causes very long hours (human capital)
    Some managers have little understand of the work their employees are doing
    Long term employees very set in ways
    The pay scale is very skewed

Really look at what you're doing joining forces with The Princeton Review. The work necessary for the transition will take much longer - and cost more - to accomplish than you have planned on. Also look at your employees and use common sense. If you're not communicating with some of your employees you're not seeing the entire picture.

Inbound Great Out Bound Repetitive

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

Solid Pay and Benefits, great work atmosphere if you have day shift

Cons

Out Bound calls are repetitive and the same people are repeatedly called.

leave the lights on when night shift is working.

A good company with an excellent product.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Penn Foster, Inc

Pros

the education programs we produce and sell are excellent. Our programs change lives at a very affordable price--less than $1,000. The work environment is pleasant.

Cons

Pay is too low for the experience and quality of work I perform. Company only pays the amount paid by other local employers, rather than reward excellence. Company doesn't care if they lose good employees to employers willing to pay more.

Get out of the "call center" mentality. We're not selling long distance phone service or credit card offers. Representatives are 'sales counselors' and should be compensated higher. Get out of the employee "revolving door" mentality--pay good employees a good living wage.

For the most part enjoyable company to work for.

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Penn Foster, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits and RRSP contributor.

Cons

High employee turnover due to unreasonable and aggresive manager.

Listen to those who are on the floor everyday.