Penn-Mar

Add Photos

Penn-Mar CEO Keith R. Peterson

Keith R. Peterson

Awake Overnight Assistant

Awake Overnight Assistant (Former Employee)
York, PA

I worked at Penn-Mar full-time for more than a year

ProsThe consumers are the only reason I worked there, they are wonderful and it's great to be helping. Always extra hours. I was working around 120 hours every two weeks.

ConsA lot if people quit or transfer, I worked in the group homes so it was stressful having different people constantly in and out of the house and hard on the consumers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

There are worse places to work.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Penn-Mar for more than a year

ProsThe consumers and most employees at all levels of the organization are very friendly. The company is pretty progressive in this industry, so it stays ahead of the game and continues to grow.

ConsToo many cons to list...

Employees who are dishonest and/or do not pull their weight are not reprimanded. Various levels of management do not set a good example for staff or consumers. It's very frustrating for the employees who care and work hard...especially when the dedicated employees have to pick up the slack of others. With that said, there are several individuals at the top of the food chain who genuinely care about their job and who do set a positive example...it's just unfortunate that the majority does not embrace that culture.

Backdoor raises, hiring people who have connections with others in the company and not making the job opening available to others, favoritism...but I suppose that is unfortunately fairly common in the workplace.

Turnover is high. It's so high that they give you a pin after being here for two years, making you a member of the "700 Club." It's their way of saying, "Hey, thanks for putting up with this place for longer than most employees. We hope that now that you're in this 'club,' you'll want to torture yourself even longer with us."

Depending on your department, there is little opportunity for advancement. Personally, I accepted my position based on what I was told in my interview. Several of those things were lies, including the opportunity for advancement. The truth was stretched for me to take the position...they were desperate to fill the spot. Advice to management: be up front with your employees and maybe they would stay around a little longer.

Lack of communication - everywhere. Many mistakes and extra work is made on a daily basis due to miscommunication or someone not communicating at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor your employees a little closer. There is too much goofing off while others bend backwards to pick up the slack of the employees who don't care.

Reevaluate wages. Some employees are paid below market value. Employees who work hard are not paid any more than employees who slack off. Employees who put in over a decade of service are not compensated any better than employees who were just hired this year.

Be transparent in interviews. Be open and honest. No one likes to be lied to. Some people are trying to make a career and the details really do matter.

Great

York, PA

I have been working at Penn-Mar

ProsThe consumers are the reason that I work here.

ConsBudget issues have made things difficult.

Great place to work

Freeland, MD

I have been working at Penn-Mar

Prosgreat people, lots of room to excel, great people to work for and clients are great. great perks as well

Consyou do have to put in alot of hours and sometimes the population can be hard to deal with at times.

Advice to Senior Managementi love working here and i am not going anywhere in the future. they are a great place to work

Ok to work

Senior Residential Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Penn-Mar

ProsIt feels feels great knowing you are helping others

ConsLow wages and very high employee overturn

Worked for Penn-Mar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penn-Mar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Penn-Mar CEO Keith R. Peterson. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Penn-Mar employees.