Penn National Gaming

Be The First To
Add Photos

Penn National Gaming Chairman and CEO Peter M. Carlino

Peter M. Carlino

Opportunities are there if you are willing to move about the country.

Player Services Cage Supervisor (Former Employee) Charles Town, WV

ProsPay for some positions is very good, very lax attendance policy, vacation accrual is pretty quick, smoking area for employees on property, decent benefits, college reimbursement.

ConsHolidays are nigh impossible to get time off for, very "write up" happy company, work policies change entirely too often, pay for some positions is not to par with rest of casino employees, staffing is minimal in every department, and turnover is VERY high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people because they are a "warm body" for an open position. Spread rollouts of new policies across the year, not all at once. Give up some of the incredible profit margin to staffing of the casino. Spend more time discussing issues with employees and less time writing them up for the tiniest errors. Nothing demoralizes an employee more than signing paperwork for a simple mistake.

Fast paced exciting

ProsThey respect all their employes

ConsMust be available to work nights

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued good work

Very employee oriented.

ProsOne of the major metrics for measuring success in the company is employee engagement. A key metric in the Service Profit Chain.

ConsIt is a 24 hour seven day a week business which most employees are not accustomed to.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsWorkable management. They worked with you on schedule and provided environmental for you to increase tips. Heard full time benefits were good.

ConsChanging rules, low pay even lower than hostess. They make you take a course, that you pay out of your own pocket, before they "may" hire you.

Fair Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosautonomy, short working hours, great bonus plan, travel and advancement opportunities, relocation opportunities

Conslack of corporate help, lack of employee motivation, upset customers, lack of focus on employees, lack of training for management

Interesting but stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- excitement
    - large crowds
    - room to move up
    - family feel

Cons- lonnnng hours
    - many guests are very very rude
    - no holidays or holiday pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your staff more than just their name and shift

Great Employer so far.

ProsThey seem to be very open, encouraging employees to advance and better themselves. TONS of perks.I am enjoying myself for the first time in years.

ConsThe hierarchy is a little hard to decipher, there seems to be way to many chiefs, which often causes poor communication. Any misunderstandings seem to be dealt with professionally though.

Horrible Management

Concession Cashier (Former Employee) Charles Town, WV

ProsGood starting pay, friendly coworkers

ConsIll-trained managers, inconsistent hours, no advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to keep employee turnover from such a high rate, management needs to be willing to work with their employees. Countless employees volunteer to take another's shift or come in early, yet if they ever need a day off or a transfer management refuses outright without consideration. On top of this, the company would rather hire fresh out of university graduates who do not know a thing about customer service rather than promoting long-standing employees.

I had the best time working for Penn National Gaming.

Advertising (Former Employee) Hobbs, NM

ProsThe team work, the people and some of the management staff. Also, the pay (depending on department) Working with promotions was the best time and dealing with customers as well.

ConsUpper Management. Particularly in the Marketing Department. Having to put up with some other non work related issues is not what I signed up for. If you do not like smoke, do not ever work for this place. The smoke is really bad and it doesn't seem like they are going to fix it anytime soon. As far as location, it was set in a small-town and some of the patrons had to travel to get there, hearing the complaints daily wasn't fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of management in the Marketing Department in the SW New Mexico Location.

The work atmosphere is like having a second family away from home.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alton, IL

ProsAmazing relationships with co-workers, free food and food for purchase for employees.

ConsLimited hours, no benefits for part time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to think of new marketing ways to bring up revenue.

Worked for Penn National Gaming? Contribute to the Community!