Penn National Gaming Reviews

48 reviews filtered by
2.8
Penn National Gaming Chairman and CEO Peter M. Carlino
Peter M. Carlino

Mostly positive until the end

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Penn National Gaming

Pros

Good pay, benefits and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Grueling schedule, difficult senior management and work/life balance is impossible if you want to move up.

2. Disorganized, unfocused, always applying "quick fixes" and running to put out fires - but great people to work WITH.

Current Employee - Manager in Hobbs, NM
    Current Employee - Manager in Hobbs, NM

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time

Pros

Love the majority of people that I work WITH. Got a TON of experience from all of the random things that were thrown at me. Management is fairly hands off. Reasonable pay, excellent bonuses during good years, mediocre medical benefits & 401k. Company has good focus on wellness. Free lunch and beverages throughout the day. Manager comp card in restaurants, employee discount in restaurants.
    New (4 months) general manager has begun to make changes - will be interesting to see how he is received and performs.

Cons

Don't particularly care for the people that I work FOR. All of the random things thrown at me make it difficult to feel like I actually perform well. Work/life balance & limited PTO. Inability to get things done in a timely manner across departments. Employee turnover (hourly and managerial). Gossip. Opportunity for advancement can be hit or miss, especially considering Penn's limited (approximately 30) locations. Quality of free lunch. Limitations on comp card due to directors running rampant.

Perform exit interviews for ALL employees. Pay attention to what others in this market are paying and you might have less of a turnover problem, even if you have to ask permission to break one of Penn's red fields.

3. great place to work but management are all in house breed dummer than rocks

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer

I worked at Penn National Gaming full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great money long hours worked

Cons

they got the dummys running a million place

none

Mehh

Current Employee - Valet Supervisor in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Valet Supervisor in Alton, IL

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When the company wasn't going to poop the work was tolerable and the jobs were mundane.

Cons

Massive lay offs lately and there care for the employees is horrible now.

Get your stuff together there people not slaves.

If you want to be treated like a number and get paid minimum wage, then this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Table Games Dealers in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealers in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros in working for this company.

Cons

Hourly rate for table games dealers is that of any Ohio tipped worker (like waitresses and bartenders); only poker dealers keep their own tips - table games dealers share their tips with all table games dealers on all shifts over a two week period; once your are on a specific schedule you are stuck there until the Table Games Manager allows the dealers to "bid" for the shift and days off that you want to work; upper management is ruthless; benefits are minimal; security for employees is non-existent; union was voted in by all hourly employees almost two years ago - still no contract. Bottom line: its all about home much money the casino can make off the players. Employees are expendable in their eyes, so don't expect any loyalty from upper management.

Treat your employees with respect. Having the Casino Manager in the cafeteria helping to give out free ice cream is not a tool to promote a "team" environment.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL

I worked at Penn National Gaming

Pros

They say you work happy

Cons

its not a happy place.

Practice your tag line.

8. Great company, no advancement for admins

I have been working at Penn National Gaming

Pros

The salary, benefits and environment are great. I got experience in handling an extensive variety of tasks

Cons

I would have stayed with them forever if they'd offered some method of advancement , especially for admins. They often promote from within but admins never seemed to go anywhere

Don't work at Zia Park

Former Employee - Turf Club Server in Hobbs, NM
    Former Employee - Turf Club Server in Hobbs, NM

I worked at Penn National Gaming

Pros

Occasional good paydays, free food

Cons

Lowest pay in town, horrible management, lack of consideration for employees, very little advancement, owner ignores state rules as a power trip, constantly tries to have employees work full-time hours with no benefits, all of the decent managers have quit, and the casino may lose their license within a few months since they're currently being investigated.

Letting kids onto the gaming floor and telling security "it's fine"? No. That's not fine. Just like it isn't fine to think you don't need your ID checked any time, or that making your employees stay late when there's nothing happening is fine, or hiring managers that were previously fired for verbally abusing employees is fine, or always stocking too little of everything is fine, to the point where 5-6 items were 86'd every night, sometimes with the most popular items off the menu for a week at a time.

10. I have been working at Penn National Gaming

Pros

Time off if full time

Cons

Easy to get fired little margin for error

I learned a lot about gaming and what it's like to work for a large casino.

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Penn National Gaming part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large casino, so hour options are plentiful

Cons

You seem more like a number, especially when it comes to there silly attendance policy

Treat employees more like people instead of numbers.