Penn National Gaming Reviews

4.0
Penn National Gaming President and CEO Timothy J. Wilmott
Timothy J. Wilmott
1 Rating

Pros
  • Full time with benefits, decent pay rate, occasional employee recognition for hard work depending on who notices you (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely political environment in upper management (but this is probably true of the gaming industry as a whole) (in 3 reviews)

1. Very good. Will carry over to other jobs

Former Intern - Finance in Wyomissing, PA
    Former Intern - Finance in Wyomissing, PA

I worked at Penn National Gaming as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team. Good atmosphere. Will teach you everything you need to know

Cons

Long hrs. That's really it everything is pretty good about the company

2. Call Center Representative

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Riverside, MO
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Riverside, MO

I worked at Penn National Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a people friendly environment. Employees are considered team members and therefore work to assist co-workers either in their department or elsewhere on the property. The company encourages personal growth and advancement.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in management. That can be taken as a pro or a con depending on your outlook. Since advancement is encouraged, the turnover is often involving relocating to another of Penn Gaming properties.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team. Many suggestions have resulted in positive changes for the company. More one on one chats with department heads and team members encourage a more open willingness to discuss current issues, problems and improvement suggestions.

Great place to work

I have been working at Penn National Gaming part-time

Pros

Awesome employees to work with. Penn gaming really values their employees and strives for a great work environment. Cafeteria on site that offers "low cost" meals to employees. Gym on site as well.

Cons

Every team member starts out on graveyard shift, which is terrible. Everything is seniority based.

5. Server/New hire Trainer

Former Employee - Server in Bay Saint Louis, MS
    Former Employee - Server in Bay Saint Louis, MS

I worked at Penn National Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment with as much training and advancement as you want to achieve.

Cons

Smaller departments have some political issues that prevent them from optimizing the business.

Mostly positive until the end

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Toledo, OH

Pros

Good pay, benefits and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Grueling schedule, difficult senior management and work/life balance is impossible if you want to move up.

7. Great company, no advancement for admins

Pros

The salary, benefits and environment are great. I got experience in handling an extensive variety of tasks

Cons

I would have stayed with them forever if they'd offered some method of advancement , especially for admins. They often promote from within but admins never seemed to go anywhere

8. Great culture and Core Values

Current Employee - Current Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's honestly the best culture I have ever worked in. The Team Members are always upbeat and positive, which makes going into work a wonderful experience each and every day. Even when having a bad day, I can go into work and instantly feel better. My team is very caring and cohesive, and feels like a family of its own. My VP is very challenging, but in a good way, as she always expects great results from our team, but also has realistic expectations.

Cons

In my role, I feel extremely under compensated for the amount of responsibility I have. With gaming at its core, obviously the Table Games and Slots departments are compensated very well, as well as anyone in Finance and the Executive Staff. However, other departments seem to pay well below local and national averages. Additionally, as a 24/7 operation the work/life balance can be difficult. I can say though that management is willing to work with you, as long as you work with them. We always try and do the right thing for our employees, and as long as you are flexible with them, they will work with your schedule to the best of their abilities based on what the business needs are.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to thoroughly research what your professionals should be paid. Make $8,000 less than what most other in the same role at other companies make is discouraging. However, the culture and learning opportunities definitely help to balance it out.

9. Good place to work

Current Employee - Poker Dealer in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Poker Dealer in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Penn National Gaming part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment to work in

Cons

Bad Hours of operation to work

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Semi decent management, low start pay, smoking environment, long hours.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Penn National Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A people/customer oriented business. Possibility of over-time. State governed gaming laws. Uniforms provided.

Cons

Misguided management with a "me" attitude. Definitely plays to favorites. Occasional long hours with little chance for mandatory breaks. Once employed, HR seems to vanish and not be available for assistance.

Advice to Management

Consistency.

11. Fast paced exciting

Pros

They respect all their employes

Cons

Must be available to work nights

Advice to Management

Continued good work

RSS Feed </> Embed