Penn National Gaming

Penn National Gaming Chairman and CEO Peter M. Carlino

Peter M. Carlino

The perfect job for me.

Dealer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat training facility for people new to the gaming industry. Supervisors and experienced employees are willing to help you out with any questions. Hourly compensaton paid to us by the company may be low but as a dealer we have a good hourly tip rate. Great flexibility when it comes to scheduling, (i.e. being able to switch start times and days with other employees). Newer employees had the opportunity to be promoted to being a full supervisor with less than one year's experience. We received medical, dental and vision insurance after working for 6 months.

ConsEvery weekend is a blackout date for dealers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor me personally I have no complaints, however there are many employees and not all are satisfied.

It's my number one job!

Server (Current Employee) Hobbs, NM

ProsThe other employees, treat each other like family.
    Everyone Boss is welcoming and professional and are true leaders
    the employee dining room.
    the rate of pay and the tips
    the clientele is spot on!
    I have almost worked in all departments after 2 months
    I have learned a lot about casino's
    If you want to work, they will help you out!

Consthe black out dates( but these days you normally make the most money)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, Zia Park is a great place to work, dine, and be entertained. I love my job here.

Good employer, good people, great company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsPenn is a good company that strives to treat people fairly and compensates based on performance. There is a realistic approach with sincere concern for the people that drive the organization. Penn focuses on supporting a decentralized approach to management of local operations.

ConsDiversity of the company inhibits communications and standardized practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the balance between rapid growth and organic growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced exciting

ProsThey respect all their employes

ConsMust be available to work nights

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued good work

Very employee oriented.

ProsOne of the major metrics for measuring success in the company is employee engagement. A key metric in the Service Profit Chain.

ConsIt is a 24 hour seven day a week business which most employees are not accustomed to.

Good Company

Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsWorkable management. They worked with you on schedule and provided environmental for you to increase tips. Heard full time benefits were good.

ConsChanging rules, low pay even lower than hostess. They make you take a course, that you pay out of your own pocket, before they "may" hire you.

Interesting but stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- excitement
    - large crowds
    - room to move up
    - family feel

Cons- lonnnng hours
    - many guests are very very rude
    - no holidays or holiday pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your staff more than just their name and shift

Great Employer so far.

ProsThey seem to be very open, encouraging employees to advance and better themselves. TONS of perks.I am enjoying myself for the first time in years.

ConsThe hierarchy is a little hard to decipher, there seems to be way to many chiefs, which often causes poor communication. Any misunderstandings seem to be dealt with professionally though.

Generally good company with good growth and profits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally well run. Very successful. Rapid growth. Strong long term potential.

ConsNot as collegial as it once was.

Opportunities are there if you are willing to move about the country.

Player Services Cage Supervisor (Former Employee) Charles Town, WV

ProsPay for some positions is very good, very lax attendance policy, vacation accrual is pretty quick, smoking area for employees on property, decent benefits, college reimbursement.

ConsHolidays are nigh impossible to get time off for, very "write up" happy company, work policies change entirely too often, pay for some positions is not to par with rest of casino employees, staffing is minimal in every department, and turnover is VERY high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people because they are a "warm body" for an open position. Spread rollouts of new policies across the year, not all at once. Give up some of the incredible profit margin to staffing of the casino. Spend more time discussing issues with employees and less time writing them up for the tiniest errors. Nothing demoralizes an employee more than signing paperwork for a simple mistake.

Worked for Penn National Gaming? Contribute to the Community!