Penn National Gaming

Don't work at Zia Park

Former Employee - Turf Club Server in Hobbs, NM
    Former Employee - Turf Club Server in Hobbs, NM

I worked at Penn National Gaming

Pros

Occasional good paydays, free food

Cons

Lowest pay in town, horrible management, lack of consideration for employees, very little advancement, owner ignores state rules as a power trip, constantly tries to have employees work full-time hours with no benefits, all of the decent managers have quit, and the casino may lose their license within a few months since they're currently being investigated.

Letting kids onto the gaming floor and telling security "it's fine"? No. That's not fine. Just like it isn't fine to think you don't need your ID checked any time, or that making your employees stay late when there's nothing happening is fine, or hiring managers that were previously fired for verbally abusing employees is fine, or always stocking too little of everything is fine, to the point where 5-6 items were 86'd every night, sometimes with the most popular items off the menu for a week at a time.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL

I worked at Penn National Gaming

Pros

They say you work happy

Cons

its not a happy place.

Practice your tag line.

Mehh

Current Employee - Valet Supervisor in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Valet Supervisor in Alton, IL

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When the company wasn't going to poop the work was tolerable and the jobs were mundane.

Cons

Massive lay offs lately and there care for the employees is horrible now.

Get your stuff together there people not slaves.

Great company, no advancement for admins

I have been working at Penn National Gaming

Pros

The salary, benefits and environment are great. I got experience in handling an extensive variety of tasks

Cons

I would have stayed with them forever if they'd offered some method of advancement , especially for admins. They often promote from within but admins never seemed to go anywhere

I have been working at Penn National Gaming

Pros

Time off if full time

Cons

Easy to get fired little margin for error

Horrible company and management.

Former Employee - EMT in Lawrenceburg, IN
    Former Employee - EMT in Lawrenceburg, IN

I worked at Penn National Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary. Emt's make $20 an hour and security officers make $14.

Cons

No loyalty to employees. Staffing at an all time low and getting lower. Employees over worked causing mistakes.

More consistent in dealing with employees.

I learned a lot about gaming and what it's like to work for a large casino.

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Penn National Gaming part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large casino, so hour options are plentiful

Cons

You seem more like a number, especially when it comes to there silly attendance policy

Treat employees more like people instead of numbers.

Penn is a great company to work for, and is always offering their employees opportunities to better themselves.

Current Employee - Dual-Rate Supervisor/Celebrity Dealer in Lawrenceburg, IN
    Current Employee - Dual-Rate Supervisor/Celebrity Dealer in Lawrenceburg, IN

I have been working at Penn National Gaming part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of experience to be gained that can be applied to virtually any field and everyone who works here is friendly and has a tremendous spirit of teamwork. From execs to housekeeping, we all treat each other like we are part of a well oiled machine.

Cons

It is such a hip and happening place with the best gaming and rewards card in the area, unfortunately as an employee we cannot take advantage of any of it

Don't be afraid to take more risks in our advertising, I don't see why we should be the most conservative casino, we are Hollywood!!!! lets capitalize on my co workers and my desire to be unique and really stand out in our market

Great culture and Core Values

Current Employee - Current Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's honestly the best culture I have ever worked in. The Team Members are always upbeat and positive, which makes going into work a wonderful experience each and every day. Even when having a bad day, I can go into work and instantly feel better. My team is very caring and cohesive, and feels like a family of its own. My VP is very challenging, but in a good way, as she always expects great results from our team, but also has realistic expectations.

Cons

In my role, I feel extremely under compensated for the amount of responsibility I have. With gaming at its core, obviously the Table Games and Slots departments are compensated very well, as well as anyone in Finance and the Executive Staff. However, other departments seem to pay well below local and national averages. Additionally, as a 24/7 operation the work/life balance can be difficult. I can say though that management is willing to work with you, as long as you work with them. We always try and do the right thing for our employees, and as long as you are flexible with them, they will work with your schedule to the best of their abilities based on what the business needs are.

My only advice would be to thoroughly research what your professionals should be paid. Make $8,000 less than what most other in the same role at other companies make is discouraging. However, the culture and learning opportunities definitely help to balance it out.

A great opportunity to hate your job

I have been working at Penn National Gaming full-time

Pros

Decent starting pay, college reimbursement, paid training, flexible schedule (meaning you only HAVE to work during their busiest times: holidays and weekends).

Cons

Extremely poor work/life balance. Lack of ingenuity, they see what other casinos are doing and try to copy them. Extremely political environment in upper management (but this is probably true of the gaming industry as a whole). Vendor selection is based on nepotism, not the quality of the product (or even if it is required). Inability to plan resources appropriately. Health benefits are absolutely horrid. They are self-insured, so don’t get sick and don’t smoke. Will fire employees at a drop of a hat without hesitation or warning. CEO claims “staffing is about right” while you and your team are working 50-60 hours per week.

There is nothing I can say that will change management as they are unwilling to change.