Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates Reviews

68 reviews filtered by
3.5
Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates CEO Mark Penn
Mark Penn

Pros
  • Great experience in market research - you can learn a lot really quickly (in 7 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn about current events and research practices (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no work/life balance, short deadlines (in 12 reviews)

• Pay is low compared to industry (in 5 reviews)

1. This internship is overall positive, but could make improvements.

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I have been working at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

PSB offers flexible hours, autonomy and authorship with assignments, and a laid back, results-driven work environment.

Cons

It is not uncommon to go hours at a time without interacting with anyone.

Perhaps offering more cooperative assignments and/or a more structured and professionally developmental internship program. The lack of said program is understandable, as the internship is paid.

2. Fun Company

I have been working at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time

Pros

Great place, smart people, quick pace

Cons

Quick pace can be frustrating at times

3. I worked with wonderful people and a great manager. The schedule was flexible as well.

Former Employee - Bilingual Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bilingual Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We had interesting assingments and a very flexible shedule.

Cons

When I worked in the office it was far from home, however I was able to work from home within 3 months.

Mediocre intern experience

Former Intern - Market Research Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - Market Research Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- PSB interacts with big name clients, so the work you do can oftentimes feel important
    - Young office
    - People are willing to teach you, but you have to be willing to ask questions and learn

Cons

- Passive aggressive office environment
    - Repetitive tasks
    - Compensation is on the lower end of what this kind of internship should pay (it's right above WA state minimum wage)
    - No raises in what you get paid, though they advertise the opposite
    - Minimal feedback on performance

Encourage employees to give more feedback to one another

6. I worked at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most teams will give analysts good opportunities early on to participate in client meetings, lead portions of projects, and after 6 months to 1 year you can really be driving projects on your own, a great sense of accomplishment and valuable project management experience

Cons

Slow to promote and uneven consistency in pay, bonuses, and workload (some teams stay in the office around the clock, others work closer to 40-45 hours/week)

Higher compensation at the analyst level and more transparency around promotions could probably help retain lower-level talent

7. The people are great but the management needs work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time

Pros

They hire a lot of young people straight out of college, so it's a great place to begin your career and get your foot in the door.

Cons

Pay is really low, very little training, and management doesn't stick up for their own people.

There's a huge turnover rate here. listen to your people and make some changes if you want them to stick around.

8. You learn a lot - but hours are tough and pay is weak

I worked at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time

Pros

Bang out of college, you get immediate exposure to some high-profile clients, interesting projects and business challenges, and as much responsibility as you're willing to take. The people you're working with are smart, ambitious, and talented.

Cons

You're severely underpaid and under-appreciated for the sheer volume of work you put in. Office culture (at least in the NY office) fosters a "sacrifice your life" approach to work, despite mgmt's intentions to the contrary.

Treat your analysts like people, not a cog in a wheel, not a means to an end. Change the projects you take on and the prices you charge (factor man-hours into pricing, not just a random multiplier). You've got a bunch of brilliant, hard-working folks - treat them better.

9. Great place for a first internship.

Current Intern - Market Research Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Market Research Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, paid internship, want to hire interns full time after graduation, lots of training in excel and company database, friendly staff, always willing to help you or to make your duties more interesting/ difficult

Cons

Internship duties can be tedious at times, not always a lot for interns to do (can be a pro if you are a busy student)

10. Been working here 17 years

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learned so much and have always felt very valued for the work i do. Denver office has much less turnover than any other office. I am a Director whose employees are with me for 16 years and 10 years so we must be doing something right

Cons

For myself and my department, no cons - honestly, no cons

No advice, just thanks for putting up with me all these years. Im sure you know by now who this is
    :-)

11. I am currently an Intern and have worked 3 weeks so far. Allot of number input and checking, monotonous but easy

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Simple and fairly low stress work, looks good on a resume

Cons

Monotonous, somewhat boring work, desk job