Penn State College of Medicine

Updated May 15, 2014
Updated May 15, 2014

3.1

CEO

Good people, good science = good medicine.

Former Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Penn State College of Medicine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent cutting edge research by an outstanding faculty. Nine out of ten scientists I had contact with possessed stable mature personalities with courteous and professional behavior exhibited toward coworkers and staff. Generally one of the best work environments and cultures I've had the privilege of working in.

Cons

Often had to deal with the usual lack of leadership and management skills on the part of a few lower administrative staff. Micromanagement and inadequate communication skills demonstrated by these few detracted from an otherwise collegial work environment.

Clear lines of authority and boundaries should be clearly defined during initial training with annual refresher as needed. Professional communication skills should be emphasized as well during refresher training.

Great culture/values

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, very bright people

Cons

Good benefits for full-time employees, but like most places, postdoctoral fellows get few benefits and little pay. It's ot so much a knock on PSCOM just the structure of the system in academic science.

Little to comment on here.

Good place to work with good benefits

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare
    Great 401k match
    Great atmosphere
    Very good Education Reimbursement

Cons

Salary
    Room for advancement
    Lots of bureaucracy, hard to get things done at times

Improve salary for Penn State employed staff and provide more opportunities for advancement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly environment, but not top tier research.

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

Friendly coworkers and great place to learn techniques.

Cons

Inability or desire for to reach the next level of excellence.

Should be more future-thinking.

Lab tech = Hard work, long hours, little pay, no opportunities for advacement or raises

Current Employee - Lab Tech I  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Tech I in Hershey, PA

Pros

good benefits, some good people to work with, flexible hours

Cons

Very little possibility for career advancement. Last year they re-organized their job structure increasing the requirements for each job title makeing it even more difficult to qualify for raises and promotions.

The pay is terrible even for academic standards.

experiences vary greatly by lab. The employee is at the mercy of the PI. Some PI's bully their employees into long hours and very busy days. PI's are not held accountable for their actions and are allowed to do as they please

non- exempt employees can not document overtime for fear of being fired or reprimanded.

The right department will make or break it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I worked at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

Depending on which department you end up working, your experience with the College of Medicine can be very rewarding or very miserable. Some Departments have very poor management and the human resources in the department does not take steps to remedy the problem.

Cons

The pay is not that great. It's kind of in the middle of no where. Poor management (depending on the department)

Better management training and promotions should be based more on competence, performance, leadership skills, and ability to work in teams. Not who can suck up the manager best.

To anyone considering this place: STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

I have to fill out 20 words for this section. Being that this is extremely difficult and I see no pros, I am writing this: easy commute.

Cons

For a detailed critique you can refer to my review of Hershey Medical Center on this site. Essentially all the points I made there applies here:

1. Too much red-tape

2. The scientific environment here is laughable. The core facilities are ludicrous, there are no world renowned labs, and most of the faculty live in denial of how bad the scientific output of this place really is.

3. The collaborative environment is non-existent. Partly because the two campuses are nearly 100 miles apart, but mostly because there are no experts in this institution.

4. Lack of growth potential. In most cases you will be stuck as a postdoc and if you are extremely lucky probably be promoted to research associate. That is just policy, unless of course you know how to play politics. Also the chances of getting employment once you come out of this place is next to zero. In all likelihood you have to do a second postdoc at a more prestigious institution. So spare yourself the agony and skip this place altogether.

5. Lack of pay. There is a pay freeze here. So many third year postdocs are still getting paid at first years rates, in violation of NIH policy, even though they are extremely productive.

6. As a postdoc you will be unappreciated. This place does not value researchers, I can say that from personal experience.

7. The support staff is terrible. In all likelihood the research assistants are only high school graduates and you will end up doing your job as well as theirs.

My previous advice still applies. If the management wants to make this place into a competitive research institution then they need to do more to attract top talent and retain them through competitive incentives. As of right now there is no incentive for anyone to come and work here, unless they are coming from a different country and don't know any better.

"X"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, located in a nice town, employees are friendly

Cons

insufficient core facilities and lack of sufficient expertise and personnel to run existing core facilities, insufficient bridge funds

Upgrade core facilities and hire experts to run them

x

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

The benefits are fantastic! We have Highmark BlueShield PPO - superior coverage and ~$250/month for family rate. The atmosphere is fairly laid back and quite flexible.

Cons

I can't help but wonder if there is better pay elsewhere....

x

Satisfactory

I worked at Penn State College of Medicine

Pros

surrounding community; colleagues; stimulating environment; pleasant work environment

Cons

lack of team-centerd leadership and personal growth potential

improve upon 360 evaluation process for senior leadership

Worked for Penn State College of Medicine? Contribute to the Community!