Penn State University

Penn State University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Penn State University President Rodney A. Erickson

Rodney A. Erickson

Pros
  • There is a friendly environment, and a culture of professionalism and work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots of opportunities, great if your boss is as cool as mine(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are unfamiliar with the area, it is in what many would consider the middle of nowhere(in 11 reviews)

• small town, basically in the middle of nowhere(in 12 reviews)

Great University.

ProsDemanding tasks
    Noteworthy Feedback

ConsHigher Ups are snobby

Tough love for graduate students

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) University Park, PA

ProsSure, I got a ton of experience, but most of it is useless, unfortunately.

ConsAs any graduate student knows, the pay is low, the hours are long, and the demand is unbelievable. Some might argue it's not worth it.

Great People to Work With

Camera Op (Former Employee) State College, PA

ProsAmazing faculty and staff. Most are very kind and helpful, with you typical number of bad apples. Having worked in multiple departments, I think it is safe to say it is true University wide.

ConsIf you are unfamiliar with the area, it is in what many would consider the middle of nowhere. If you love the country, a polite and welcoming community, and a moderately sized town, then this is your place. If you are looking for the hustle and bustle of big city living, this may not be your best bet. (although, you will still get plenty of that on football weekends)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) State College, PA

ProsThe campus is very nice, cost of living in the area is affodable and the medical benefits were pretty good.

ConsThe town is a rowdy college town that lives for football and this disrupts all other activities on campus and in the town

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to expand the school and improve what already exists

Fantastic leaders

Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee)

ProsYou really understand why leaders are in the positions they are in. Handle their issues head on.

ConsDon't keep their job postings updated -_- As others have mentioned, pay is low for the area. Lacking in diversity.

great learning experience utilizing Oracle and SAP platforms

ProsFlexibility to work around my class schedule and ability to work remotely made this an ideal internship while attending school full time

ConsSone of the challenges working here were accessibility to our lab while school was not in session, and the occasional updates to network servers and VPNs at inopportune times

Grad school is awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet paid a lot to grade papers. Get to do cutting edge research. Build connections with some of the smartest people in the world. The hours aren't that bad if you get the right advisor.

ConsYou have to grade a lot of papers.

great school

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) State College, PA

Proshuge alum. network
    great place to do your research work

Conssmall town, basically in the middle of nowhere. far away from big cities

Great resources available

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) State College, PA

ProsWorking as a GRA at Penn State is very dependent on your boss in the day-to-day stuff but in general the Food Science Department is very supportive of all students and it feels like they really want you to succeed. There are a lot of great resources available for you whether its specialized equipment you want to use or leaders in the field that you want to talk to. Also, the graduate health insurance at PSU is exceptional!

ConsWorking at a Research One university can be tough on graduate students because the expectations are high. I think its pretty typical that graduate students are expected to work hard but especially at a university with this type of exposure, a lot of the faculty members expect a lot of work. As with the day-to-day expectations, it mostly depends on your boss how hours, scheduling, and office culture are handled.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fantastic. Great People, Great environment.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) State College, PA

ProsGreat bosses. Fun jobs. Learn a lot of new things. Get a lot of training.

ConsLow pay. Max of 20 hours a week for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us more.

Worked for Penn State University? Contribute to the Community!